What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If you're processing 1200 pieces of brass for somebody else, you ARE a true buddy!
    He's either a hell of a buddy or he has expensive reloading tools and helps pay for them by processing for others. I have a couple shooting buddies I do that for. Recovers some of the money spent and gets the work done more consistently/efficiently.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Haven't shot much lately due to various life events (mostly good) except for a few matches, but things are turning around at a pretty rapid rate on that front, so I'm prepping back up for the new shooting season:
    1. I think I'm going to load up some of these 223 streak pulls I bought and see how they perform at an NV shoot.
    2. My revolver ammo is starting to run low, so I'm due for another run of 9mm and 45 with Federal primers and brass. I converted my 38/357 revo to 9mm, so I no longer need to load bunches of 357 Minor anymore (thank G-d).
    3. I need to start loading 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, and .308 again, which I think will mean some more toolheads and conversion kits for the 650.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I have another friend bring his rifle to me with a complaint about accuracy.....it turns out his custom made 204 Model 700 has a 1-in-13 twist barrel and he was shooting 40 grain bullets. So, I am gonna pull those and reload him some 32 grain ammo. Rifle puts those in a half an inch at 100......{also not doing this for free!!!}
    For myself, I need to cast and load up some buckshot rounds for my trench gun.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Garand 30-06 loads using Hornady Vintage varget recipe & pulled Nosler 168gr match

IMG_5645.jpeg

Processed the last 350 rnds of Federal 308win brass and moved up to 180gr pulls.

180gr Nosler Accubond
    IMG_5648.jpeg

180gr Federal Trophy
    IMG_5651.jpeg

180gr Swift Scirocco
    IMG_5654.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Decapped 1500pcs 45acp. I'll wet tumble them this week. Confirmed velocity on a 115 9mm load. Going to neck turn a batch of. 260 cases tonight; they already got mandrel expanded and trimmed to exact length.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've finished reloading my 5.56. As a new reloader, many lessons were learned.

It took a little while for the powder measure cylinder to get a good coating of graphite on it so that it would dispense smoothly and consistently. Initially, I was re-weighing many charges out of caution because the consistency just wasn't there. It did finally settle in and it's spot-on now. I'm only QA checking 5 cases in 50 now. (I do visually check the entire tray to ensure that powder is in every case)

.223/5.56 brass is finicky compared to .30-06. I had several different headstamps. PSD brass has a thick sleeve in the primer hole that really does not like CCI military primers. Ordinary primers might fit better. Many Lake City primers have pockets that are off center. I learned that if I rotated the case in the shell holder, the primer would line up better and be seated without undue pressure.

My test shots indicate that Hornady .224 projectiles are very acceptable. I'm sure I'm not up to F-class quality but I'm very pleased with how things have turned out so far.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've finished reloading my 5.56. As a new reloader, many lessons were learned.

It took a little while for the powder measure cylinder to get a good coating of graphite on it so that it would dispense smoothly and consistently. Initially, I was re-weighing many charges out of caution because the consistency just wasn't there. It did finally settle in and it's spot-on now. I'm only QA checking 5 cases in 50 now. (I do visually check the entire tray to ensure that powder is in every case)

.223/5.56 brass is finicky compared to .30-06. I had several different headstamps. PSD brass has a thick sleeve in the primer hole that really does not like CCI military primers. Ordinary primers might fit better. Many Lake City primers have pockets that are off center. I learned that if I rotated the case in the shell holder, the primer would line up better and be seated without undue pressure.

My test shots indicate that Hornady .224 projectiles are very acceptable. I'm sure I'm not up to F-class quality but I'm very pleased with how things have turned out so far.

PSD is crimped South Korean brass. It's the crimp that you'll need to deal with, not the #41 that's causing primer seating issues.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    PSD is crimped South Korean brass. It's the crimp that you'll need to deal with, not the #41 that's causing primer seating issues.

Or if the crimp is removed, it’s just that the brass doesn’t completely center in the primer tool. It’s not the primer hole being off-centered

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Loaded up 30 300BO test rounds of a 130gr hollow point that looks a lot like the Speer Varmint, but with a Cannelure.

Will fire them over the chrono and into the gel, next trip out. Then load the remaining 500rnds if testing is fruitful

IMG_5659.jpeg

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Help me understand.

In my pile, I've seen brass with 3 stakes. To me, this is crimped brass. The PSD brass does not have this. The hole is completely open, there's just a thick sleeve. They aren't uniformly thick from case to cast. I got to the point where I could eyeball a case and tell if it would work. Is there a crimp that I'm not seeing?

@85MikeTPI other brands of brass that I have are absolutely off-center. It's easily observed. It's not that I'm putting the case in the shell holder off center.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Help me understand.

In my pile, I've seen brass with 3 stakes. To me, this is crimped brass. The PSD brass does not have this. The hole is completely open, there's just a thick sleeve. They aren't uniformly thick from case to cast. I got to the point where I could eyeball a case and tell if it would work. Is there a crimp that I'm not seeing?

@85MikeTPI other brands of brass that I have are absolutely off-center. It's easily observed. It's not that I'm putting the case in the shell holder off center.
    The easy answer to this question is yes - more often than not the 5.56 range pickup I get has crimped primer pockets, and they aren't always staked. It's usually a ring crimp.

These days I have batches of brass - brass that I know I've processed, and brass that isn't processed and needs to be decapped, sized, primer pockets checked, and crimps cut out of the ones that need it.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Help me understand.

They do make primer pocket gauges for a definitive check on whether a primer pocket is crimped or not swaged enough: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026245819?pid=100387

Personally, I mass process primer pockets for all 223/556 range pickup brass. Too many variables to account for if just simply sorting them out by head stamp (i.e. undersized flash holes, berdan cases, swaged cases, etc.) . The lee app press makes short work of decapping/swaging 223/556 range pickup brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom