• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I ordered some Mr. Buddy propoane heaters. The Texas storm made me realize how exposed we are if we don't have heat. We have a propane stovetop, so I think we're okay for cooking. We have 2 fireplaces, but I'd like to get a wood stove either a standalone or an insert. I kind of like the idea of a standalone to heat things on the top.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t sell short the notion of a fireback and some big heavy andirons if an insert of woodstove aren’t in the immediate offing.

Firebacks are big steel plates that sit in the fireplace and reflect and hold the heat from the fire. Andirons aren’t just another pretty bit to decorate the hearth. They’re first rate heat exchangers too.

MR Buddy is gtg too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can adjust these anyway you like and add additional shelves for an added cost.

Mine will look like the one in the picture except I added three additional shelves so it will have six counting the base and top shelf.

I have some similar shelves for canned goods, and over time, the weight of the canned goods seriously deforms the wood shelves.

Eventually, I will move to all metal.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Don’t sell short the notion of a fireback and some big heavy andirons if an insert of woodstove aren’t in the immediate offing.

Firebacks are big steel plates that sit in the fireplace and reflect and hold the heat from the fire. Andirons aren’t just another pretty bit to decorate the hearth. They’re first rate heat exchangers too.

MR Buddy is gtg too.

I hadn't thought of that. I wasn't too keen on dropping thousands on a stove. I'll look into these. Thanks.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have some similar shelves for canned goods, and over time, the weight of the canned goods seriously deforms the wood shelves.

Gotcha. I will keep an eye on them. These are 5/8" thick and have braces under them. So far I have not had an issue. I stored some D8, semi truck sized, boat batteries on them in the garage and gotten away with it. One of the reasons I like Uline's stuff.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gotcha. I will keep an eye on them. These are 5/8" thick and have braces under them. So far I have not had an issue. I stored some D8, semi truck sized, boat batteries on them in the garage and gotten away with it. One of the reasons I like Uline's stuff.

The braces will help.

Mine don't have any braces, just the perimeter.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I hadn't thought of that. I wasn't too keen on dropping thousands on a stove. I'll look into these. Thanks.
    They’re not intended to produce the heat that a good stove will. They do hold some of the heat produced by the fireplace.

There’s really no substitute imo for a good stove or insert. They can be had used and relatively inexpensively on CL. Just takes some diligence.

A good stove will both produce and hold heat. They are my first recommendation. I’m a wood stove guy vs coal or pellets. There’s plenty wood. Coal and pellets might come quickly to the short stop in an extended emergency.

If you get a stove or insert, consider a nice cast kettle to put on top. Stoves will dry a place and the occupants out pretty good. The kettle helps add back some humidity. Ymmv

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    3 cases of half gallon jars
    3 cases of half gallon jugs
    3 cases of quart jars
    200 lbs of sugar
    50 lbs salt
    30 lbs of sugar cure
    10lbs yeast
    25lbs of flour
    100 lbs of corn meal

Now I gotta round up a bunch of buckets with seals

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    3 cases of half gallon jars
    3 cases of half gallon jugs
    3 cases of quart jars
    200 lbs of sugar
    50 lbs salt
    30 lbs of sugar cure
    10lbs yeast
    25lbs of flour
    100 lbs of corn meal

Now I gotta round up a bunch of buckets with seals

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Thanks.

I never thought to look on FB Market place or Craigslist. Good idea.

I was just back in Southern Illinois and there was a JC Penneys going out of business - they were selling all their shelving, lights, display racks and so forth. I just didn't have the time or energy to cart all I wanted back here to MD.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/256014572746098/?ref=facebook_story_share

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I ordered some Mr. Buddy propoane heaters. The Texas storm made me realize how exposed we are if we don't have heat. We have a propane stovetop, so I think we're okay for cooking. We have 2 fireplaces, but I'd like to get a wood stove either a standalone or an insert. I kind of like the idea of a standalone to heat things on the top.

We have two Mr Heater's stored out in the shed. Haven't had to fire them up yet. They are there as a contingency for home use (no, I do not live in the shed). :D

I think I have finally figured out the pro's and con's of using a propane fired Mr Heater.

As long as you have adequate oxygen levels, it is safe. If it's burning in an enclosed room with no air circulation, the propane will not burn cleanly and you will begin to have increased carbon monoxide levels. Hence is why it's always remarked that you leave a window open in the room. Primarily not for CO2 to get out, but for replenishment oxygen to get in.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    not really prep as i dont think it would do much good if shtf for real . picked up a few of these the designs are pretty dang cool if you miss potus 45 and it limited mintage maybe it go up in value but i dont plan on it.. hopefully biden and nacy dont mind i spent the few dollars they sent me at a company that sells trump coins https://vrlps.co/3br2i2n/em

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Walmart is shifting the seasonal section back into outdoor power equipment so the canned gasoline is back for the season. Picked up a few cans of the 4 stroke flavor I use to hot load cycle the generator for the quarterly test.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I have been storing 5 gallon plastic gas cans (a mix of blitz and midwest brands) in an outdoor shed here in MD for almost 20 years. At first it was just 1 or 2 for the mowers and chainsaw, after buying a generator a little over 10 years ago that number went up to 5.

If there is enough air space in the can (low fuel level) and the temperature drops considerably, the sides will be pushed in a bit. If it is capped when the temp is colder and it gets warm, it will swell.

The only thing to worry about is not opening the spout with the can tipped if it is swollen/pressurized a bit, because the gas will flow out, sometimes quickly. I burp it first with the can upright using the large cap (the ring holding the spout).

If the can collapses because of low temps and does't pop back on its own when you open it, after the can is empty cap it and set it in a warmer area or put it in the sun for a bit. The pressure increase will help it recover its former shape.

Keeping them near full will minimize the expansion and contraction, temperature affects gases far more than fluids in that respect.

As long as you're not doing something foolish like opening a pressurized can near an open flame, or using a grinder near an open can, none of this is a real issue. People have been storing gas cans in outdoor sheds for longer than I've been alive, and there is no epidemic of spontaneous shed combustion that I've heard of. Treat them with respect and caution and you'll be fine.

Same experience here as Bullfrog. I use these surplus EU milspec cans, super super tough and stackable, gaskets are easy to change and are a few $ on Amazon, but you probably won't have to replace....I had some surface rust on a few that I hit with VHT rust converted and then repainted but most didn't need anything. They are on sale now for under $20, when I last bought shipping was free if you ordered 4 or more and they came with a free spout for each one...stay away from the Chinese knock-offs: https://majorsurplus.com/catalog/product/view/id/14127/s/euro-military-steel-fuel-can/category/445/

You can also use these, they are about the same price direct from the manufacturer depending on free shipping or not, I have some but use for water, or "majorsurplus" also has them for a higher price, both are new and milspec I believe: https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html

Attached is a chart showing fuel treatment comparison...I think someone posted it here somewhere in the past. If you can get ethanol free to start that's best if there's a station or boat ramp or small airport where you can get it....here's a list in MD: https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=MD

Attachments

• MOGAS Treatment comparison.jpg
      MOGAS Treatment comparison.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 234

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Damn, 1 bag of 5# rice for $4.22 at walmart will feed two people all week with canned tomato sauce for flavoring. Canned meat and its a meal.

Yep. My lunch is tuna/rice with a slice of canned pineapple and my dinner is rice/ground beef with salsa. Been doing that for years.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    So, since my move to my new house my tool and firearm accessory storage has been a MESS! I would routinely wander from closet to store room to utility room to the shed (through the snow up hill both ways) in order to find the tools and supplies that I needed for even little house projects. So, after much searching I bough a huge 61" tool chest from Home depot. Its their Husky brand and was only $700. I say only $700 because that is a absolute deal for this size of tool box. Usually the bottom chest alone can easily approach $1k for something 61" wide. I have been organizing things for the past couple days and I have designated the bottom section as tools and I think everything is going to fit just fine (I have some space saving drawer accessories on the way). And the top is designated as firearm parts/accessories/tools. My only problem is that I designated one drawer to be my 'magazine drawer' . . .and its not even close to full. My previous storage solution for my magazines was a filing cabinet and I had that drawer completely full. . . I guess I need to get on it and buy more mags to fill their new home! :lol2:

These are only available in store and you cannot buy ahead. So you have to trust the website stock check and then go for it. 2nd, you have to find someone who is competent at the store to find it for you. The one I got was not on display and was on the very top of one of the shelving units. I took 2 trips to get it home in my midsize SUV. True box size for the bottom unit was a little over 39" wide (wheels are off) so measure your car before hand. :D
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-61-in-W-10-Drawer-1-Door-Combination-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-in-Gloss-Black-H61CH4TR6P/305220490

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom