• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    How big and bulky is a cutting torch setup? What's the smallest most portable set up? I was watching "Storage War's" and they were using what looked like a battery powdered angle grinder to cut off locks. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Li...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Depends on the torch. I’ve seen torches longer than I am and I have a few victors that break down to a manageable size. The bottles is really the issue. The smallest I can think of are larger than a 2l soda bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I accidentally cut myself a couple of weeks ago. It was a small cut, but every time I took the dressing off it started bleeding again. I couldn't believe I didn't have any bleed stop. I went down to the local Walgreens and picked up a package. I really didn't need it for that small cut, but it pissed me off that I didn't have anything other than gauze and pressure to stop the bleeding.

4packbox-sm.png
    Small cuts are what I use Super glue on. Cheap, very effective and comes off by itself in a few days. I've used it on scalp lacs that usually bleed profusely.

Someone asked about the clot dressings but I would argue they would be appropriate for large and or deep lacs with much venous bleeding

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    How big and bulky is a cutting torch setup? What's the smallest most portable set up? I was watching "Storage War's" and they were using what looked like a battery powdered angle grinder to cut off locks. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Li...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

For work I keep a 20v Li battery powered angle grinder and reciprocating saw, impact wrench and flashlight in my car all of the time. I have decided that the grinder and saw with a few backup batteries can be incredibly useful.

A lot of people think cutting the hardened lock is the best approach but the weaker link point is usually the cheap soft steel hasp or eye bolt that connects the lock to the chain. I could probably cut/grind through the hinge pin on any chain link fence gate in 10-15 seconds vs trying to cut the lock.

Also don’t forget a simple crow bar through the hardened lock can be used to twist the hasp and sheer soft steel in a matter of seconds. Same for twisting a steel eye bolt from a post.

It also worth checking out even simpler and quieter methods to open some locks like making your own vibration lock picking tool out of an ultrasonic toothbrush or using gallium to melt aluminum lock housings.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Electrical tape and butterfly's can fix anything!! My daughter had a fit everytime I say I'd never had stitches except the one in my nut bag from the vasectomy. :lol2: I've been lacerated and just butterflied it and it was fine.

Now they say superglue is even better.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Electrical tape and butterfly's can fix anything!! My daughter had a fit everytime I say I'd never had stitches except the one in my nut bag from the vasectomy. :lol2: I've been lacerated and just butterflied it and it was fine.

Now they say superglue is even better.

In a pinch sure you can even just use staples. However in a situation where you may not be near proper medical care infections a concern. I’ve had cuts which were properly stitched but I didn’t properly keep the laceration clean and managed to get a serious infection. In less than a week my index finger was swollen like a 1/4lb hotdog and spreading to my entire hand. I went back to the hospital and they had to create a new cut near the original injury so that they could drain the pus from my finger. I think, as punishment for my carelessness the doctor made this incision without lidocaine. I couldn’t believe the amount if sheer pain that I felt as they cut my finger open and then squeezed out about a tablespoon of nasty puss and then gave me two more stitches.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Also don’t forget a simple crow bar through the hardened lock can be used to twist the hasp and sheer soft steel in a matter of seconds. Same for twisting a steel eye bolt from a post.

It also worth checking out even simpler and quieter methods to open some locks like making your own vibration lock picking tool out of an ultrasonic toothbrush or using gallium to melt aluminum lock housings.

I've never tried this method but I've seen it in a few videos. You rotate the wrenches (or one of them) and use the jaw as a lever. May not work with the thicker hasps. One video recommended positioning one wrench vertically, to break the thin part of the hasp where the notch is, instead of trying to break the thickest part.

Attachments

• breakinglock.jpg
      breakinglock.jpg
      20.6 KB · Views: 256

Sirex