• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Somebody turned me on to pickled ramps last year, so I am going to use my hot/sweet pickle recipe to pickle a dozen quarts or so. We have innumerable ramps growing around here. Molly Moochers ought to be coming in soon also.

Anyone else gather ramps?

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Until we got our place in Davis, i had never heard of them. Now every spring that's what everyone is selling. They are good but man they give me some horrible breath after I eat them.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My uncle would dig ramps every year. We'd eat them raw and cooked, I really liked them.They do wonders for your breath!LOL!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Yum, had them many times years ago when a friend had a house in Arbovale WV. We would head into Durbin and have scrambled eggs with ramps for breakfast!! Ahhh the memories!

Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Somebody turned me on to pickled ramps last year, so I am going to use my hot/sweet pickle recipe to pickle a dozen quarts or so. We have innumerable ramps growing around here. Molly Moochers ought to be coming in soon also.

Anyone else gather ramps?

We just moved from a townhouse in the city to an 11 acre property in the sticks. We've got ramps growing around the property but I didn't know exactly what they were until I researched your post. I thought they were green onions.

Care to share your brine/pickling recipe? We are working on growing our first batch of vegetables and we are planning to do some pickling and canning for the first time.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We just moved from a townhouse in the city to an 11 acre property in the sticks. We've got ramps growing around the property but I didn't know exactly what they were until I researched your post. I thought they were green onions.

Care to share your brine/pickling recipe? We are working on growing our first batch of vegetables and we are planning to do some pickling and canning for the first time.

I pickled 4 quarts (about 4 lbs) of freshly gathered ramps yesterday.

I soak them for 2 hours in 12 cups of water with a cup of pickling salt mixed in.
    When done rinse very well in a colander.
    Bring to a boil in large pot: 6 cups white vinegar, 3 cups apple cider vinegar, 6 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons of yellow mustard seed, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 8 whole cloves and about a dozen chopped hot peppers of your choice (I used habenero). Pack the cleaned ramps into 6-1 quart sterilized canning jars with 1 teaspoon of pickling crisp per jar and ladle in the still boiling liquid into each jar until ramps are covered (about 1/2" from the top). Put the lids on and let sit for at least 2 weeks before using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom