• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I was not interested in another 1911, but received an email from the distributor with a link to a video about the gun. I wasn't interested in a double stack 1911, but now think it might be good to have a high capacity 1911. I mean, how can anyone not want a 1911 with 14 rounds of .45 ? :)

Does anyone here have one of these guns and can provide feedback on reliability? The grip is wider since it's a double stack, but is it as comfortable as a single stack ? Is the trigger feel heavier than other 1911s?
    thanks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Is it a Para Ordnance copy? Reviews make hints to that effect. Probably a decent gun. It is fun to shoot and the broad girth distributes recoil and points the gun well. Looks like they massaged the ergonomics some. Is the one from Bud’s the one you are looking at? If that price of $997 is what you are considering you may consider holding off for a Remington double stack for a little but more.

While no exposure to their double stacks, a club member’s Metro Gov’t single stack left a favorable impression when I looked it over a few years back.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I don't know if it's a copy of the Para Ordnance pistol, but it has many parts common to a regular 1911. I saw the gun on Gunbroker for $600, so it was a lot cheaper than the Remington model. I know Remington makes good guns, but it's really hard for me to spend over $1000 on a handgun. I'm getting older and my price-value system is stuck in the 1980-1990's. :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    LOL...know the price value system. $600 sounds like a go to me, good price. Let us know how it shoots if you get it.

You should check the roster, too, if you are a Maryland resident. If it is not on the roster you will have buy it and submit it to the board through an ffl.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    FWIW, I own a P.O. 14-45. Had a Limited I shot alot in competition for a couple years in the mid to late 2000's. You are right, 14 rounds of 45 is a hoot...not needing to do mag changes every 7 or 8 rounds is a culture shock for single stack folks. YOu may find it points well for you and the sights are steadier when you drop the hammer.

Last few years I have been shooting 9mm 1911's. I can say it is a very pleasant shooter. My present 14-45 I had up on the for sale block but took it down. I had the major parts, got the last two smaller parts and have converted it to an 18-9....18 rounds of 9mm. Okay, sorta, the top end uses a RIA barrel and slide. That is something to consider, too. Either caliber, you'll have fun. Mag changes are quicker, too, even without a cavernous magwell on it.

I was on my way to the range on the 27th to test fire it and checked the range update at a signal light. COVID shut down at the range. Turned around and went home...forlorn.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Most 2011's are chambered in .40s&w, not .45acp because of competition scoring rules and the increased capacity of the same magazine holding more rounds of .40.

You can configure them anyway you want. I have an 80% frame I'm going to do in 10mm, because I'm that manly.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Those are valid ideas. OP has a budget an is looking to get started on the ground floor with a working pistol.

Any pistol he builds using good parts is going to be $800 (hopefully, with good MIM) to $1300 or more (most likely). The frame, slide, barrel and grip frame will be $600 econo-shopping if he is lucky. As well, he will need a frame jig and other tooling.

Then there is the knowledge and skill required to complete the pistol. He can buy the object Metro and learn to improve as he desires and his budget allows.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    You can configure them anyway you want. I have an 80% frame I'm going to do in 10mm, because I'm that manly.

Good luck to you, but I'm traditional and like 1911's in .45 ACP. There's nothing wrong with other calibers, but I think .45 and 1911 go together like root beer and vanilla ice cream.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good luck to you, but I'm traditional and like 1911's in .45 ACP. There's nothing wrong with other calibers, but I think .45 and 1911 go together like root beer and vanilla ice cream.

Yeah, but this one is a 2011. ;)

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I have a Para P13 and a Para P14 and love them both. But I also just purchased a Metro Arms Co 1911 Bobcut and I will say that it is feature loaded and a quality piece right out of the box. I did make a custom flared mag well, changed the grips, and added an extended slide release. It runs perfectly without any internal mods or upgrades. You can't beat all the options and price point for a quality piece.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    I don't know if it's a copy of the Para Ordnance pistol, but it has many parts common to a regular 1911. I saw the gun on Gunbroker for $600, so it was a lot cheaper than the Remington model. I know Remington makes good guns, but it's really hard for me to spend over $1000 on a handgun. I'm getting older and my price-value system is stuck in the 1980-1990's. :)
    Are you kidding? If their guns were so good why would they have gone bankrupt? Also, Remington made Para's are hogwash. And their customer service at the time was also hogwash. Every now and then I'd get a malfunction where the trigger would not fire and feeding issues. I was well beyond the 500rd break in. I sent it in for warranty and they said they could not replicate the issue. Nonetheless I fixed it myself by replacing the recoil spring and disabling the grip safety.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    I was not interested in another 1911, but received an email from the distributor with a link to a video about the gun. I wasn't interested in a double stack 1911, but now think it might be good to have a high capacity 1911. I mean, how can anyone not want a 1911 with 14 rounds of .45 ? :)

Does anyone here have one of these guns and can provide feedback on reliability? The grip is wider since it's a double stack, but is it as comfortable as a single stack ? Is the trigger feel heavier than other 1911s?
    thanks.
    I would never trust a gun that came from a place I wouldn't drink the water. I have the short dust cover 3011SSD and thought all was well so I decided to get the the long dust cover model 3011SLD. I had bought the SLD #1 the rear sight screw kept popping out because the detents on the rear sight elevation screw were too shallow. Instead of fixing it they sent me SLD #2 which had the exact same problem. About a year later I got SLD#3 which actually worked. The good thing is their customer service paid for the shipping. But in the meantime while I was waiting for SLD#3 the SSD the safety selector lever broke.

Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021
    Does anyone here have one of these guns and can provide feedback on reliability?

Not that exact gun, but I have two Metro Arms 1911 45's. They are NOT Para or anybody else. They use American Classic and a couple others as trade names. Made in Philippines. Actually very nice pistols, way better than the Amscor guns out of the Philippines. Armscor = Citadel.
    Both mine have been 100%. And the triggers are nice too.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info, but I ended up buying a SDS 1911 in .45 ACP.

I wouldn't drink the water in Turkey, but their guns are good and work just fine, so it doesn't matter if the water is clean where the gun is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom