• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I went out to find quart jars today and couldn’t find any! I went to 4 stores, this is nuts.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Eggs:
    Sooo, Like so many things the art has been lost or almost regulated out of 'style'.
    I see so many things that used to be common no longer supported by the government. Here is a link to canning eggs, Canning Eggs
    Do you keep your picked eggs refrigerated? I used to see them sitting on the counter at all the little markets along with a huge wheel of cheddar cheese.
    I guess someone somewhere got sick and that's that.

I have done pickled eggs (chicken eggs and quail eggs), using a canning pot and a hot water bath, for a number of years now. Stored at room temp for a year or more, until a jar is opened, then in the fridge. AFAIK no one who has consumed them has ever gotten sick. That one (1) guy cited in the 1997 CDC report didn't do it properly, just plopped the eggs into vinegar and left them unrefrigerated, and died from botulism. I'm not afraid, but that's me.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Does the zucchini come out like mush? What recipe for canning them do you use? I'm really interested in this as we always have an over abundance of squash and I can a lot but never thought about canning squash!

I wouldn’t say “mush” but they aren’t “crisp” either. We have an over abundance of squash/zucchini and this is one of our standbys. The other is dehydrating squash/zucchini, blending it into a course powder, vacuum sealing it, and adding it to foods throughout the winter to get some vegetables in. Since it doesn’t really taste much, adding it to spaghetti sauce is pretty decent.

I’d have to check the recipe. It’s from the Mrs. Wages cookbook.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Since the chickens are giving us a dozen eggs a day (more or less), we decided to give pickled eggs a try. Will report back in about a week.

Attachments

• 20200812_181743_pickled_eggs.jpg
      20200812_181743_pickled_eggs.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 416

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We just put up a bunch of dill pickles and I got eggs sitting on some bread and butter left over juice. My daughter wanted to try one last night after 24 hours and it didn't set into it. We also didn't heat it, so we shall see. I saw a bunch of these recipes to try and I got a bunch of quart jars.

This is a way to preserve raw eggs using hydrated lime in water.

And using them in the end of December after being put up in May.

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Can you use a propane burner for a pressure canner? (like used on a turkey fryer or to steam crabs)

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    If a pressure canner is that thin that the bottom can warp, I don't think I want to pressurize it around my family! I am waiting for one of these All American Pressure Canners to be come available again or if I can find a better deal than Amazon. People use these all the time on propane.

All-American-910-10-Quart-Pressure-Canner.jpg

I am not canning meat this year. I am working on jerky recipes and will be killing mountain deer this year to experiment on recipes. I just built three extra expanded metal racks for the smokehouse.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If a pressure canner is that thin that the bottom can warp, I don't think I want to pressurize it around my family! I am waiting for one of these All American Pressure Canners to be come available again or if I can find a better deal than Amazon. People use these all the time on propane.

All-American-910-10-Quart-Pressure-Canner.jpg

I am not canning meat this year. I am working on jerky recipes and will be killing mountain deer this year to experiment on recipes. I just built three extra expanded metal racks for the smokehouse.

I have the largest all American pressure canner and it’s thick enough to damn near be bulletproof

I use s giant banjo has cooker to heat mine without a problem

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I’ve been using a propane cooker for years on both my pressure canner and water bath canner. I’m trying to figure out how my thinner water bath canner, can get hot enough to warp, when it’s half full of water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Tattler lids are very good, expensive, but also have a learning process to them. You are not supposed tighten them as much or the air will not escape and then tighten them all the way after removing them. Videos I watched have people losing a few jar contents in the learning process.

They also will not take well with maybe tomatoes or pickle recipes with Turmeric as the lid will stain yellow. They will work but lid will stain pretty good.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I used one to canbefore, i just put a thin sheet of metal on top of the burner and never had a problem

Can you use a propane burner for a pressure canner? (like used on a turkey fryer or to steam crabs)

I say yes. Follow the cautions given up thread about keeping the heat moderate and using a good quality pressure canner.
    I have moved my canning to outdoors to keep the heat and moisture out of the house.
    I have run it on the propane burner 3 times this year with absolutely no problems.
    I use an All American 921 canner and a banjo type propane burner. It seems to be a great combination.

Attachments

• 7EEDA7FE-0490-4BE3-8C8C-9536AAE84FCB.jpg
      7EEDA7FE-0490-4BE3-8C8C-9536AAE84FCB.jpg
      128.5 KB · Views: 296
    • 8DBA75AA-3BDD-4B84-B0A1-D48800CAA755.jpg
      8DBA75AA-3BDD-4B84-B0A1-D48800CAA755.jpg
      132.6 KB · Views: 291

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today’s effort will be dill pickles with some jalapeño in the brine, using “cocktail cucumbers” which I came across at Wegmans. Had never seen these cute 3” cukes before. All I’ve read about using them says to cut off the tips. Assume that the brine will eventually seep into the whole pickle. I thought of piercing the skins up and down with a small pointy object, but that sounds like too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I put up another 2-3/4 gallons of my tomato soup/sauce yesterday evening. I have 6.5 gallons made so far this year. I use this stuff as a soup or as an ingredient in other recipes.

Tomato, onion, garlic, herbs, salt & pepper, olive oil.

Attachments

• 5D117DEB-5968-412A-A872-FCCA15CF29A4.jpg
      5D117DEB-5968-412A-A872-FCCA15CF29A4.jpg
      103.1 KB · Views: 284
    Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My parents and in-laws used to can veggies back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
    No a days it really don't seem worth it considering you can get a can of green beans for 39 cents or sometimes less.
    How much time and energy will it cost you to can veggies? My guess is it's not even close to being worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom