• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    The lawyer for Nick Sandman offered to defend him pro bono.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for sharing the above with us "under 50" posters. I find the info important in todays environment. I am always thinking in my head how to 1st avoid, then evade/escape/survive scenarios like this.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Is their a good link to a go fund me for the AR guy?

Regards
    Jack

There was, the the GO fU site has taken it down, more than once from what I've read. But the pages are up for those who attached him. :sad20:

The lawyer for Nick Sandman offered to defend him pro bono.

I saw that reported, but unverified at the moment. I hope it's true.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sounds like someone needs to create a funding site for conservative/libertarian issues.

I'd like to send the kid some funds. He's seriously gonna need it.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I’m sure in the moment it was self defense but it’s unclear to me how he got into that situation. There were certainly videos of him walking around in the street beforehand. I don’t have enough information yet to know if and how he might have contributed to escalating the situation. At any rate I can’t get behind a 17 year old driving to another town and open carrying in a riot. Was he connected to the owner of the dealership?

Not bashing, but how many members here(open carrying) went to Philly, Richmond or Gettysburg over the last couple years, to counter Antifa, that were planning on doing some damnable things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Not bashing, but how many members here(open carrying) went to Philly, Richmond or Gettysburg over the last couple years, to counter Antifa, that were planning on doing some damnable things.

Hence my qualifier “in a riot” coupled with his age. I can’t help but think about what an idiot I was at 17 though this kid seemed like he had good intentions. As I mentioned before there have been a ton of instances in the past couple months where people successfully protected businesses and nothing like this happened.

I will say that ar15 thread is the most detailed and comprehensive thing I’ve read and looks like the short bald guy was just a dim-bulb and full-on psycho with a death wish. Not sure what the right course of action is if you’re armed and confronted with someone like that. Even if you’re justified in self defense the mob is gonna come for you (be it physically or social media). That thread left out something that NYT of all places mentioned - there was definitely a gunshot on the other side of the lot while the short dude is chasing the kid.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Anytime deadly forced is used it is not going to look pretty. More and more video and facts co.e out. From what I have seems justified.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I know of several people who traveled from Central MD to open carry at demonstrations in front of NRA Headquarters in Farifax as well as Richmond. Personally I would'nt put my self in that situation. However if Antifa came to my neighborhood, trying to burn cars or buildings I'd be reacting with arms.

We should't be looking at this kid's travels as some great state trek. It would bit akin to someone living Bethesda driving to Fairfax. There are probably tens of thousands of commuters who drive back and forth from Kenosha to the jobs in the northern suburbs of Chicago every day.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Cross posting for visibility for the under 50 with out WC access.

I got tired of reading different reports of whether his possession of the rifle was legal/illegal, so I decided to do my own research. For those that do not wish to read the wall of text, conclusion at the bottom.

948.60  Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.
    (1)  In this section, “dangerous weapon" means any firearm, loaded or unloaded; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295(1c) (a); metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles; a nunchaku or any similar weapon consisting of 2 sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather; a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand; a shuriken or any similar pointed star-like object intended to injure a person when thrown; or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends.
    (2) 
    (a) Any person under 18 years of age who possesses or goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) Except as provided in par. (c), any person who intentionally sells, loans or gives a dangerous weapon to a person under 18 years of age is guilty of a Class I felony.
    (c) Whoever violates par. (b) is guilty of a Class H felony if the person under 18 years of age under par. (b) discharges the firearm and the discharge causes death to himself, herself or another.
    (d) A person under 17 years of age who has violated this subsection is subject to the provisions of ch. 938 unless jurisdiction is waived under s. 938.18 or the person is subject to the jurisdiction of a court of criminal jurisdiction under s. 938.183.
    (3) 
    (a) This section does not apply to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a dangerous weapon when the dangerous weapon is being used in target practice under the supervision of an adult or in a course of instruction in the traditional and proper use of the dangerous weapon under the supervision of an adult. This section does not apply to an adult who transfers a dangerous weapon to a person under 18 years of age for use only in target practice under the adult's supervision or in a course of instruction in the traditional and proper use of the dangerous weapon under the adult's supervision.
    (b) This section does not apply to a person under 18 years of age who is a member of the armed forces or national guard and who possesses or is armed with a dangerous weapon in the line of duty. This section does not apply to an adult who is a member of the armed forces or national guard and who transfers a dangerous weapon to a person under 18 years of age in the line of duty.
    (c) This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

This is the statute prohibiting possession by some one under 18. The most important part is (3)c which I will repeat again:
    (c) This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

Read carefully, 948.60 only applies to those under the age of 18, if and only if they violate 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593. The second part of 3(c) is not applicable as we are only dealing with those under 18.

Lets move on to see if 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 were violated.
    941.28  Possession of short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
    (1)  In this section:
    (a) “Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a rifled barrel a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.
    (b) “Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    (c) “Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    (d) “Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
    (2) No person may sell or offer to sell, transport, purchase, possess or go armed with a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
    (3) Any person violating this section is guilty of a Class H felony.
    (4) This section does not apply to the sale, purchase, possession, use or transportation of a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle to or by any armed forces or national guard personnel in line of duty, any peace officer of the United States or of any political subdivision of the United States or any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872. This section does not apply to the manufacture of short-barreled shotguns or short-barreled rifles for any person or group authorized to possess these weapons. The restriction on transportation contained in this section does not apply to common carriers. This section shall not apply to any firearm that may be lawfully possessed under federal law, or any firearm that could have been lawfully registered at the time of the enactment of the national firearms act of 1968.
    (5) Any firearm seized under this section is subject to s. 968.20 (3) and is presumed to be contraband.
    No violation as the rifle was not a SBR.

On to 29.304:
    29.304  Restrictions on hunting and use of firearms by persons under 16 years of age.
    (1)  Persons under 12 years of age.
    (a) Prohibition on hunting. No person under 12 years of age may hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.
    (b) Restrictions on possession or control of a firearm. No person under 12 years of age may have in his or her possession or control any firearm unless he or she is enrolled in the course of instruction under the hunter education program and he or she is carrying the firearm in a case and unloaded to or from that class under the supervision of his or her parent or guardian, or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian, or is handling or operating the firearm during that class under the supervision of an instructor.
    (c) Restrictions on obtaining hunting approval. Except as provided under par. (d), no person under 12 years of age may obtain any approval authorizing hunting.
    (d) Restrictions on validity of certificate of accomplishment. A person under 12 years of age may obtain a certificate of accomplishment if he or she complies with the requirements of s. 29.591 (4) but that certificate is not valid for the hunting of small game until that person becomes 12 years of age.
    (2) Persons 12 to 14 years of age.
    (a) Restrictions on hunting. No person 12 years of age or older but under 14 years of age may hunt unless he or she is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian, or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian.
    (b) Restrictions on possession or control of a firearm. No person 12 years of age or older but under 14 years of age may have in his or her possession or control any firearm unless he or she:
    1. Is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian; or
    2. Is enrolled in the course of instruction under the hunter education program and is carrying the firearm in a case and unloaded to or from that class or is handling or operating the firearm during that class under the supervision of an instructor.
    (3) Persons 14 to 16 years of age.
    (a) Restrictions on hunting. No person 14 years of age or older but under 16 years of age may hunt unless he or she:
    1. Is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian; or
    2. Is issued a certificate of accomplishment that states that he or she successfully completed the course of instruction under the hunter education program or has a similar certificate, license, or other evidence satisfactory to the department indicating that he or she has successfully completed in another state, country, or province a hunter education course recognized by the department.
    (b) Restrictions on possession or control of a firearm. No person 14 years of age or older but under 16 years of age may have in his or her possession or control any firearm unless he or she:
    1. Is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian;
    2. Is enrolled in the course of instruction under the hunter education program and is carrying the firearm in a case and unloaded to or from that class or is handling or operating the firearm during that class under the supervision of an instructor; or
    3. Is issued a certificate of accomplishment that states that he or she successfully completed the course of instruction under the hunter education program or has a similar certificate, license, or other evidence satisfactory to the department indicating that he or she has successfully completed in another state, country, or province a hunter education course recognized by the department.
    (4) Parental obligation. No parent or guardian of a child under 16 years of age may authorize or knowingly permit the child to violate this section.
    (4m) Hunting mentorship program. The prohibition specified in sub. (1) (a) and the restrictions specified in subs. (1) (b) to (d), (2), and (3) do not apply to a person who is hunting with a mentor and who complies with the requirements specified under s. 29.592.
    (5) Exception.
    (a) Notwithstanding subs. (1) to (3), a person 12 years of age or older may possess or control a firearm and may hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow on land under the ownership of the person or the person's family if no license is required and if the firing of firearms is permitted on that land.
    (b)
    1. In this paragraph, “ target practice" includes trap shooting or a similar sport shooting activity regardless of whether the activity involves shooting at a fixed or a moving target.
    2. The restrictions on the possession and control of a firearm under sub. (1) do not apply to a person using a firearm in target practice if he or she is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or by a person at least 18 years of age who is designated by the parent or guardian.
    5(a) makes it explicitly legal to possess firearms in some cases, but there is no prohibition on possession if you are over 16. No violation.

Last is 29.593:
    29.593  Requirement for certificate of accomplishment to obtain hunting approval.
    (1) 
    (a) Except as provided under subs. (2), (2m) and (3), and s. 29.592 (1), no person born on or after January 1, 1973, may obtain any approval authorizing hunting unless the person is issued a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591.
    (b) A certificate of accomplishment issued to a person for successfully completing the course under the bow hunter education program only authorizes the person to obtain a resident archer hunting license, a nonresident archer hunting license, a resident crossbow hunting license, or a nonresident crossbow hunting license.
    (2) A person who has a certificate, license, or other evidence that is satisfactory to the department indicating that he or she has successfully completed in another state, country, or province a hunter education course recognized by the department may obtain an approval authorizing hunting.
    (2m) A person who has a certificate, license, or other evidence that is satisfactory to the department indicating that he or she has successfully completed in another state, country, or province a bow hunter education course recognized by the department may obtain an archer hunting license or crossbow hunting license.
    (3) A person who successfully completes basic training in the U.S. armed forces, reserves or national guard may obtain an approval authorizing hunting.
    (4) A person who is subject to sub. (1) may prove compliance with sub. (1) when submitting an application for an approval authorizing hunting by presenting any of the following:
    (a) His or her certificate of accomplishment issued under s. 29.591.
    (b) An approval authorizing hunting that was issued to him or her under this chapter within 365 days before submitting the application.
    (c) An approval authorizing hunting that was issued to him or her under this chapter for a hunting season that ended within 365 days before submitting the application.
    The only prohibition here is a requirement to have certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591 before getting approval authorizing hunting. No hunting authorization is under debate here, so no violation.

To summarize, 948.60 has an extreamly broad exemptiom making possession legal in most cases. The only time it applies to those under 18 is if 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 are violated. Since 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 were not violated, the exemption is valid and it was legal for him to carry that rifle under Wisconsin law.

References:

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Cross posting for visibility for the under 50 with out WC access.

I got tired of reading different reports of whether his possession of the rifle was legal/illegal, so I decided to do my own research. For those that do not wish to read the wall of text, conclusion at the bottom.

This is the statute prohibiting possession by some one under 18. The most important part is (3)c which I will repeat again:

Read carefully, 948.60 only applies to those under the age of 18, if and only if they violate 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593. The second part of 3(c) is not applicable as we are only dealing with those under 18.

Lets move on to see if 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 were violated.

No violation as the rifle was not a SBR.

On to 29.304:
    5(a) makes it explicitly legal to possess firearms in some cases, but there is no prohibition on possession if you are over 16. No violation.

Last is 29.593:
    The only prohibition here is a requirement to have certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591 before getting approval authorizing hunting. No hunting authorization is under debate here, so no violation.

To summarize, 948.60 has an extreamly broad exemptiom making possession legal in most cases. The only time it applies to those under 18 is if 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 are violated. Since 941.28, 29.304 or 29.593 were not violated, the exemption is valid and it was legal for him to carry that rifle under Wisconsin law.

References:

Agreed!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Don't bring a skateboard to a gunfight.

Right! People seem to be forgetting that he brought it for self defense and used it for self defense. He went to defend property and only used it as a last resort when attacked. Notice how he had an opportunity to finish off the punk he shot in the arm holding a pistol. Even after being shot he was still a threat with the pistol but did not take a second shot. Thruout the entire episode from start to finish all he tried to do was leave but was continued to be pursued and attacked.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I think what everyone is missing is that Jacob Blake the guy who took 7 will hopefully still be charged with all kinds of charges. burning and looting doesn't absolve your crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom