• ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Baofeng Radio Intro & Programming Class

We'll it looks like there are more than a few here who would be interested in a quick instructional class on basic programming of the popular Baofeng Transceivers. I think I can put together a quick presentation/demonstration that will give everyone enough information to setup and use your Baofeng transceiver.

When

Class will be Friday December 4th.

I would like to start at 7:30pm. Plan on about 1hr to cover the content and demonstrations. I would be willing to stick around for a while after to answer questions that some may have.

Format

Zoom works well enough for me. I know that there are some who choose not to use Zoom for whatever reason, but I have an account for work and I'm pretty familiar with the format, so that's what we are going to use. I'll have my camera and mic on so that I can demonstrate, but attendees do not need to have a camera or even a mic if they do not want to participate. I really don't care. I'll record the class using the Zoom recording function and share the video after the class is over. Only the presenters screen (my screen) will be recorded however voices of participants are also included in the recording.

Class Content Outline (Preliminary)

• Quick Introduction
    • Factors in determining HOW YOU will choose to program your radio
    • Equipment Overview explaining the various models and their slight differences. This is necessary as it pertains to using the CHIRP Software to create a program file
    • Basic Radio operation - We'll just cover the basics, as they pertain to programming, but these devices are pretty simple so this part wont take long
    • Using CHIRP Software - You'll need to have this already installed on your computer
    • Saving and Restoring radio configuration files
    • Resources for further learning

Things you will need for class

Baofeng Radio

I'm familiar with the following models:

UV-5R5

UV-82HP

BF-F8HP

There are many models which work with CHRIP and you can check if your model is compatible here:

Genuine FTDI USB Programming Cable

This is the one I purchased a few years ago LINK It's got over 4000 5 Star ratings. There are others that will probably work but many copies do not use the correct chip and may not work reliably. If you want to save $6-8 go ahead and roll the dice.

Windows or Mac PC

You do not need anything really powerful. CHIRP is a pretty simple piece of software. FYI, I only have experience with Windows PC's, but I suspect the Mac version of CHRIP would function the same way.

Signup

OK I'll update this as I put things together. Post a response in the thread if you are interested and if you are NOT available for all three possible dates, just list the ones you can make. I'll do my best to accommodate as many participants as I can.

Edit 2/6/21 FOR THOSE WHO DONT WANT TO SCROLL THROUGH THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Here are the links to the class info.

So here is the link to the presentation.

Here is the link to the video https://youtu.be/GB568r_fuh8

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

*** Signup List as of 11/28/20****

Arcamm
    Qbeam
    Wiley
    shootin the breeze
    djcerna
    fidelity
    adit
    THier
    HokieKev
    TOWcritter
    Joseph
    squaregrouper
    sundazes
    HRDWRK
    Boxcab
    cap6888
    fred55
    Fitztar
    gre24ene
    sundaeman
    River02
    Doctor_M
    Stevie Boy
    GTOGUNNER
    gem357
    FHJ69
    Calpoke
    tommy.jones
    jc1240
    MEGALUG
    teratos
    ctsnider88
    Jefflac
    Naptown34
    welder516

Plus everyone else on the wait list.....

*****Update 11/27****

The class will be Friday December 4th. Sorry for the delay. I needed to wait until Monday to confirm my schedule then I totally forgot to update you guys.

Also there has been way more interest in this class than I had expected. I would like to accommodate everyone including those on the waitlist. So I’m changing the format a bit so that the first 45min will be lecture format. I’ll be creating a slide presentation which everyone will be able to download a copy prior to the class. You could print it out and jot down questions you have during the lecture.

During the lecture I’ll be sharing my screen and doing live demonstrations on using the programming software.

I’ll ask that everyone keep their microphones muted during the lecture.

The lecture and demonstrations will be recorded my screen and audio ONLY will be recorded.

The once the lecture and demonstrations are done class is essentially over and I’ll stop recording.

I’ll extend the class for Q&A for as long as needed. I don’t think I will have to work the following Saturday so I could potentially be available until 10:30pm if that much time is needed to answer questions.

:bullhorn:Read This!:bullhorn:
    To make things easier on me I’m going to require anyone who is attending the class email me at toolaa2000@gmail.com. Subject: MDS Radio Class.

I will send you a zoom invite via google calendar along with a link to the shared google drive class folder and eventually a link to the video. For privacy sake I will blind CC my response and zoom invitees will not be able to see the names or email address of other attendees.

From a zoom etiquette standpoint I really do not care if you have your screen on or off, or if you use your real name MDS user name or some other during the lecture. I’ll be too busy to see you guys anyway.

However for the Q&A part it’s nice to see who I’m talking too. Not a requirement, but since we are a community I enjoy experiencing that community aspect whenever possible.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just a reminder...
    ad8f064fc2ec07882d71cfc47a1c0810.jpg

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I'm in. As of now, all dates work for me.

I've used Chirp, but can always use a refresher.

If the class fills up, move me to an alternate spot and let someone else have my spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I’m in. I work the fourth though, so I would be out on that day. But if you record it, I guess it doesn’t matter.

Thanks for putting this together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom