best way to heat a home when power goes out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you buy out two large propane tanks it would give you lots of service , if we lost power here often i would get it as well .
    They house has 500. I was thinking of getting a 250 to feed the generator.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP asked specifically about * Heat * during occasional power outage . For that a Kerosene heaters or two will do nicely for small initial outlay .

If the question was instead , " How to provide total power to operate the house just as if the outside power was still functional ? " , the discussion would be different .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Kerosene heaters are inexpensive and can crank out plenty of heat.

Just be careful of carbon monoxide build up.

But I have one I picked up YEARS ago that works great.

Thinking about it, I need to check my kerosene supply. And find someplace to fill my container. I keep about 5 gallons around for it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If there is no wood burning fireplace in the house and no natural/propane gas, your only option would be a generator with enough amperage to run a fridge and couple space heaters.

Really?

Maybe ask what his main heat is.

I have oil furnace (hot water baseboard). So with a generator, I have heat.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I had a vent free fireplace which I replaced with a direct vent propane fireplace. Ran the insert up my chimney. Does the job fine.

The nice thing about the vent free ones is, all the heat stays in the house.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ll repeat it too.

Hell, I use a kerosene heater even when the power is on. Its a nice supplement to my heat pump on cold days

That is what I do for my detached garage.

If I am going to work, I go out first thing and fire up the kerosene heater and the ceiling fans. Maybe the heat pump, if it is very cold.

By the time I eat breakfast, have my coffee and get ready to work, it is toasty warm. Normally, I shut off the kero heater, and just use heat pump to keep it warm while working.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The OP asked specifically about * Heat * during occasional power outage . For that a Kerosene heaters or two will do nicely for small initial outlay .

If the question was instead , " How to provide total power to operate the house just as if the outside power was still functional ? " , the discussion would be different .

But enough power to run the existing heating system might be the answer. :)

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    If you have to use a temporary heat source longer than anticipated remember to shrink your square footage. Hang blankets or tarps across openings and camp out in your kitchen, etc. instead of trying to heat 3000 sq ft

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Sex, lots of Sex....

And for the single guys.

m4gv2TG.gif

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    +1 for the K1 heater. Oh wait, I've used them many years even when there wasn't a power outage so I should be dead. Never mind.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I always wanted a wood stove in my home for this purpose, but that's not going to be an option for now.

Sure we could be talking about the end of the world, but let's say a snow storm knocks out power for several days. What are good an easy ways to keep the home warm enough?

Sure I could just get in my arctic sleeping bag to prevent death, but that won't keep the pipes from freezing.

What kind of heat do you have? If you have a boiler you can probably just run a generator, and modify an extension cord and wire it directly to the boiler. Then you can just cycle it on and off when you want to.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    [Kev308];6157096 said:
    What kind of heat do you have? If you have a boiler you can probably just run a generator, and modify an extension cord and wire it directly to the boiler. Then you can just cycle it on and off when you want to.

heating oil forced air

as discussed in the generator thread I created, I'm probably not willing to do anything fancy expensive, or jimmy rig a questionable electrical connection.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The nice thing about the vent free ones is, all the heat stays in the house.

Yep. Had a Vermont Castings model that ran great....until it had a bad gas valve. Since I had the stove for about 20 years the valve wasn’t available anywhere anymore. Stuck a Canadian made Ecofan on it to spread the heat into the room. New setup underneath with electric blower.

Attachments

• 2FF73838-8F73-48C8-BCC0-A7C7B9D390C7.jpg
      2FF73838-8F73-48C8-BCC0-A7C7B9D390C7.jpg
      122.1 KB · Views: 361
    • B15FB76D-FFF8-48D2-ADB5-A15A557A9C67.jpg
      B15FB76D-FFF8-48D2-ADB5-A15A557A9C67.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 344

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yep. Had a Vermont Castings model that ran great....until it had a bad gas valve. Since I had the stove for about 20 years the valve wasn’t available anywhere anymore. Stuck a Canadian made Ecofan on it to spread the heat into the room. New setup underneath with electric blower.

This might be a stupid question but...that thing is safe to not have vented? I assumed it would risk CO poisoning to burn propane like that.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Our entire house is electric so we would be screwed if it wasn't for the coal stove if electric went out.

Love our coal stove. We did switch out the electric range/stove over to a propane unit due to such reliance on electric in our home. Plus, it cooks much better IMHO (and the wife is happier with propane).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom