• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    In the following thread there was mention of installing dash cams in one's vehicles.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=251207

I've been thinking that's a good idea for a variety of reasons. Ideally I'd like 360 degree video but getting all the necessary cameras correctly and discretely positioned seems impractical as a retrofit.

So I'd like the system to be able to at least record day and night video front, rear and at the driver window (and maybe front passenger window). Also audio at the front seat.

Something that doesn't attract attention for theft is preferable.

Being able to record when the ignition switch is off would be nice, maybe with motion sensing to save space.

Finally, it mustn't violate windshield obstruction laws that many states have, including MD.

I've begun looking into the options and they're overwhelming. Price doesn't matter as long as it's less than a new car with integrated 360 degree video :). Recommendations?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You're asking for the world here. You are going to have to make compromises in order to achieve what you want.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Jim, hello. STRONGLY recommend you do a Search of terms “dash cam, - but, By Thread Title.

Then, scroll/read backwards in the thread while simultaneously pulling up recommendations in Amazon, etc in separate screen windows.

That is what I did when I was in same situation as you and the members here were VITAL!Y INSTRUMENTAL in my wife and I finding dash cams for our son and daughter (and I guess by extension, our precious little grand ones!) with many of the purchase criteria you list.

This thread being a terrific example: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=230849&highlight=Dash+cam&page=14

Best of success!

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for the suggestion. I searched by entire post, not title. Hmm ... never tried that. But now I know to do so.

Do you mind sharing what you ending up with or maybe I'll find you already did when I do the search.

Jim, hello. STRONGLY recommend you do a Search of terms “dash cam, - but, By Thread Title.

That is what I did when I was in same situation as you and the members here were VITAL!Y INSTRUMENTAL in my wife and I finding dash cams ...

Best of success!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Yes, give me a moment to pull up my Amazon purchases (we wound up buying the same make model for the daughters bday last August and then again for the oldest son this Christmas)

ETA: okay, here ya go, attached is a screen shot off my Amazon orders depicting the entire “package” we bought our daughter for her bday in August (the package we bought our son was via my wife’s Amazon account or else I’d screen grab that one for you instead)

PS - if I fvcked up and there is something in the screen shot that reveals any of my account info or whether I snore or not etc lemme know and I’ll delete the photo after you get the info you need)

Attachments

• EDE92F85-C354-48DD-80F5-1A10582A7654.jpg
      EDE92F85-C354-48DD-80F5-1A10582A7654.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 516

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Okay, so my wife pointed out that the entire MDS membership probably didn’t need to see the very personal notes we included with each gift to our daughter AND OP JimNorth pointed out the same with regard to the Serial Number of her camera so, that explains the black-out editing I went back and inserted. Apologies.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for posting the image. I've got my work cut out between doing the thread search and checking out your purchase. It's from 2020 so there's probably only one or two new generations of it. :)

I was going to say your image looks clean now, but that's not exactly true given that messy editing job. :lol2:

Okay, so my wife pointed out that the entire MDS membership probably didn’t need to see the very personal notes we included with each gift to our daughter AND OP JimNorth pointed out the same with regard to the Serial Number of her camera so, that explains the black-out editing I went back and inserted. Apologies.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    OP, I would look at something with better than 1080P recording and a higher FPS mode. When you start trying to zoom in on license plates (for example a hit and run vehicle), 1080P quickly runs out of resolution and gets pixelated. Also, a slower FPS (frames per second) rate will appear more blurry. Getting higher FPS will reduce the blur.

I wouldn't worry about some super long recording times, as most dash cams operate on a loop. You do want to invest money in a good quality class 10 microsd card for the camera though. A class 10 is designed to constantly and quickly be overwritten. Most good dash cams will have something that senses an impact and will automatically record if it senses an accident, so it doesn't make sense (to me at least) to have a massive card that saves hundreds of hours worth of video that you'll have to search through. I'd rather have something that can hold an hours worth of video (per camera if you have multiple cameras) that will record pre-impact, impact and the immediate scene afterward.

I would get one that uses wifi with your phone for setup and video retrieval. The ones with a built in screen are bigger and bulkier and not worth it in my opinion. A smaller camera that can be tucked out of the way or behind the rearview mirror, but easily accessible via your phone seems much more convenient to me.

You should be able to meet your needs with a $1-200 camera system. Read lots of reviews, know the features that are important for you and consider the cost/benefit of other features.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Great points. Thank you.

OP, I would look at something with better than 1080P recording and a higher FPS mode. When you start trying to zoom in on license plates (for example a hit and run vehicle), 1080P quickly runs out of resolution and gets pixelated. Also, a slower FPS (frames per second) rate will appear more blurry. Getting higher FPS will reduce the blur.

I wouldn't worry about some super long recording times, as most dash cams operate on a loop. You do want to invest money in a good quality class 10 microsd card for the camera though. A class 10 is designed to constantly and quickly be overwritten. Most good dash cams will have something that senses an impact and will automatically record if it senses an accident, so it doesn't make sense (to me at least) to have a massive card that saves hundreds of hours worth of video that you'll have to search through. I'd rather have something that can hold an hours worth of video (per camera if you have multiple cameras) that will record pre-impact, impact and the immediate scene afterward.

I would get one that uses wifi with your phone for setup and video retrieval. The ones with a built in screen are bigger and bulkier and not worth it in my opinion. A smaller camera that can be tucked out of the way or behind the rearview mirror, but easily accessible via your phone seems much more convenient to me.

You should be able to meet your needs with a $1-200 camera system. Read lots of reviews, know the features that are important for you and consider the cost/benefit of other features.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    +1. I just upgraded to the 900 2 channel and LOVE it. Crystal clear images, and the free software allows you to view the video overlaid on a google map, as well as vehicle speed and some other info. Not cheap, but probably worth every penny if you're the victim of a hit and run.

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    @Mr. Ed I have an older 650DW-2CH which is 1080p front and 720p rear and it’s been going strong for a 6+ years, only thing that I did is upgraded to 128GB micro SD card.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In the following thread there was mention of installing dash cams in one's vehicles.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=251207

I've been thinking that's a good idea for a variety of reasons. Ideally I'd like 360 degree video but getting all the necessary cameras correctly and discretely positioned seems impractical as a retrofit.

So I'd like the system to be able to at least record day and night video front, rear and at the driver window (and maybe front passenger window). Also audio at the front seat.

Something that doesn't attract attention for theft is preferable.

Being able to record when the ignition switch is off would be nice, maybe with motion sensing to save space.

Finally, it mustn't violate windshield obstruction laws that many states have, including MD.

I've begun looking into the options and they're overwhelming. Price doesn't matter as long as it's less than a new car with integrated 360 degree video :). Recommendations?

*****You're asking for a lot, but it's doable. As others have mentioned, BlackVue is very nice, and provides crystal clear video, gps, wifi, etc.. overlaid on Google Maps if you wish. It's a very powerful system and you can zoom in on license plates within reason without a bunch of pixelation as you get with a 1080p setup. They are small enough so that they are not that visible unless you are looking for them. They can be hardwired in no problem and shut themselves down if your battery voltage drops excessively so you can start your car...

There are MUCH cheaper options, but they just are not as nice and loaded with so many features in one small package as the BlackVue. I have the DR900s on a car and it's basically set it and forget it.

I have another brand on my beater car, and it was cheap enough I just bought two separate systems and wired them in front/back. It's made by DDPAI and each was only like $80 or so, and are 1080p, with Wifi, and have decent resolution and clarity for what they are. I have them to mostly record an accident, but the cameras and the gas in the car are mebbe worth as much as the car itself... :)

Dash cams are a good idea IMO as they can save one a lot of money under the right circumstances, and help clear up situations that might not be immediately apparent without them. I think I get a discount on my car insurance for having them, but everything is bundled and my car insurance is super cheap due to the crappiness of my cars and I guess where I live.

Good luck

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Those BlackVue look nice, wow. When mine dies I will see what the latest great tech is.

I went a cheaper route, some years ago it has been OK (better than none). I paid about $80 total at the time.

- Spy Tec A119 Ver 2 60 FPS 1440p Dash Camera with GPS Logger G-Sensor Wide Angle
    - SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC

Folks seem to say the high endurance cards are better, but cards are also pretty cheap, so YMMV. A tale for another time, but I also tested out LPR software with a cam and a Pi.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    For those that have dash cams, do you leave them running when you go to Home Depot, grocery shopping, pub, etc.? Most of the shit that has happened to my cars has been when I'm not even in them driving. This has ranged from a "key" scratch to completely caved in front and rear door.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    @Mr. Ed I have an older 650DW-2CH which is 1080p front and 720p rear and it’s been going strong for a 6+ years, only thing that I did is upgraded to 128GB micro SD card.

I started with a 750 1 channel about 6 years ago, also worked flawlessly. Upgraded to a 900 and now am running a 900 in both vehicles. Haven't needed the footage yet, but maybe it's like carrying an umbrella... having one prevents rain. I'm okay with that. ;)

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    For those that have dash cams, do you leave them running when you go to Home Depot, grocery shopping, pub, etc.? Most of the shit that has happened to my cars has been when I'm not even in them driving. This has ranged from a "key" scratch to completely caved in front and rear door.

Mine (a Rexing V1) will wake up and record for like 20 seconds after the truck is jolted.

Best thing to do though, is park far away from the rest of the asshats in ANY parking lot. Even across a street if need be where there's less occupied parking. Walking is good for you and better survivability for your car (or truck).

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Here are some options without worrying about window obstruction. :D

Attachments

• F36FF119-E38A-438C-A25A-E40F0BF0D512.jpeg
      F36FF119-E38A-438C-A25A-E40F0BF0D512.jpeg
      73.8 KB · Views: 206
    • 7DC0E20A-3AE5-4B17-884A-90CCE09932CE.jpeg
      7DC0E20A-3AE5-4B17-884A-90CCE09932CE.jpeg
      21.7 KB · Views: 199