• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    My non-prepper friends are starting to ask me this question/where to get more. I tell them if Korea or Thailand happens it might be too expensive so plan now.
    When the Normies start asking these questions, it's time to worry.

I used to think you guys were nuts, stockpiling so much. I figured you'd never survive long enough to shoot it all. Then I helped form a mutual assistance group and it makes perfect sense.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Aww geeze, just did my inventory.

I guess I've been shooting up more of my stash than I thought.

I'm good on defensive 9mm, but practice stock is well below my minimum 4000 stash. I ordered another case, but that won't even get me close to minimum stash. What the heck?

.556x45/.223 Rem is almost double my minimum requirements of 1710, although I'm now rethinking what minimum should be. If I ever manage to get my AGC membership, and especially if I ever put together a couple new rifles that I've accumulated parts for, I'm thinking I'll be shooting this more than currently.

.22LR is the biggest shock of all. I figured I had between 7500 and 10000 rounds squirreled away. My minimum stash I think was figured at 2000 based on how much I shoot. Well, given that I have less than half my low end estimate (although slightly above my calculated minimum) I must be shooting this more that I think. I once thought I had so much I'd never have to worry about buying more. Good grief.

I might need to rethink this whole process. I assumed I wasn't shooting that much, so I didn't have to worry about it much. But my stash is lower than I assumed. Even occasional shooting manages to severely impact stores over a long enough time. I'm not desperate, but will definitely be keeping my eyes open for deals (making the big assumption we aren't entering yet another ammo shortage).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If things get really bad I'll have to start shooting .40cal again...

I need to do an thorough inventory though. I have stuff all over the place. Some in boxes, some loose in ammo cans. Is there a way to estimate the number of rounds based on weight? That may be easier. The only thing I can think of that I really need is more 9mm HP rounds. Might have to check around. I'd like to have at least 500-1000 hollows on hand.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    IMG_0990.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    When the Normies start asking these questions, it's time to worry.

I used to think you guys were nuts, stockpiling so much. I figured you'd never survive long enough to shoot it all. Then I helped form a mutual assistance group and it makes perfect sense.
    I had 2 teachers at work today ask about buying ammo. One for herself and another for her sons. I've been just tossing a little cash each paycheck to bump up the ammo supply and food storage. It's a good time to be an ant instead of a grasshopper right now

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I have what I feel is enough after my last order at 45 cents perround for 55gr I will not pay more then 50 for 5.56/223 for 55 cents I can reload cheaper and higher grains I can already reload for less

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    How Deeeeep?
    Having been through several ammo shortages I have learned some thing new each time. The sum of these lessons is that it is never deep enough nor is it broad enough.

First the worry starts, that is where we are now. As the worry increases the prices start to rise and supplies dwindle, you start to see back orders and stock outages in the more popular calibers from the more popular sources.

Next the popular calibers are empty shelves in the more popular stores and the less popular calibers start getting hard to find. Then the out of the way stores start getting bought out.

After experiencing the above I decided that when things recovered I would always have a stockpile, which I did. At this time I was trying to limit myself to a few standard calibers so I could use common ammo across several guns.

The next shortage I had a stockpile but the shortage lasted longer so I decided to increase my reloading activities and I noticed reloading supplies were getting hard to find. This is when I realized the last things to disappear were the uncommon calibers so I changed my focus from a few calibers to trying to have at least one gun that would shoot whatever caliber ammo I could find.

So when things recovered I stocked deep on ammo, stockpiled reloading supplies, and made sure I had reloading dies for every caliber I shot.

The next shortage followed the same progressive steps except it lasted longer and went deeper than those before. Not only did ammo disappear but most reloading supplies including bullets, and reloading equipment including presses and dies became unobtainum. At one point I looked at the Lee Precision web site and every single bullet mold listed for handgun, rifle, shotgun, and black powder was out of stock except for one odd sized round ball. I then decided to Stock Deeeep ammo (all calibers I had guns for), reloading supplies (including manuals for every kind of powder I was likely to find), and have the equipment necessary to make my own bullets for any caliber I needed.

I also now have both cap lock and flint lock capabilities and have good hard copy instructions on how to make black powder and priming compounds. I have increased my collection of guns that shoot the old cartridges that were originally designed for black powder such as .45 Colt and .45-70 Government. So I will be able to shoot for a long time. I even pick up reloading dies for calibers I don't shoot when I see them at a cheep price just in case.

Your mileage may vary but so far it has gotten worse each time and if you don't believe me look back through the history shown on this forum at the threads and posts of people looking for ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom