• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Last Timonium show had 1000 LR primers, $180!!!

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Honestly, I think "part" of the problem is Manufacturers, and distributors need to raise the prices to the point that when they come into stock, people are not snapping them up and hoarding.
    Right now we have a Rationing situation with the online sales because availability is low.
    If they were sold for say $75/1000 (maybe more) online or on the shelf in shops, then there would be primers available for when people need them. But they have everyone up in arms whining that they are selling them for too much when they do have them. So the flippers are selling them for high prices cause they can't push any volume and are looking for the desperate buyer.
    There are people spending all day searching sites to just buy them then not even use them (they have mental issues I think).

I was in a shop today and many calibers are 2x what they were a year ago, BUT they were in stock. 12 gauge clay loads for $10/25 instead of $5/25 but if you wanna shoot, you can. Go to Basspro or Walmart and they have NOTHING. I'd rather see it jacked up in price but available than nothing there. even at 10 cents a primer, I'm still way ahead than buying the loaded ammo at today's prices. With supply low and demand high, if you think you will only buy ammo at 2019 prices, well, your gonna just not shoot or if you already stocked up, great, shoot what you got.

Flame on.

Not sure how well it would work. A lot of resellers and merchants have contracts from the manufacturers. So they can’t just jack up prices. Now if a contract is being renewed...

That said the manufacturer probably still doesn’t want to burn one of their buyers by having a huge price increase. They’ll remember it when times get better.

Probably the same reason most of the more reputable merchants also haven’t drastically jacked up a lot of their prices when they could stand not to. People will remember “well I used to buy from them, but they tripled their price. Sure that other guy never seemed to have stock, but he never upped his prices a raked guys over the coals”

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I still have a lot of SPPs, which is why I was willing to trade 4000 for 8 lbs of Bullseye. I have enough primers to last for a couple of seasons of USPSA, but I'm not going to shoot Steel Challenge anymore.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Turns out the stuff is confirmed corrosive -- see here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=252885

So the solution is to just break it down and clean it? How far? Slide out and part, or pulling pins, slide stop, trigger group with connectors too?? Or clean the slide and neutralize slide stop and trigger group with something?

I got to clean my 1858's totally and was hoping to start shooting 45colt for cleaner shooting but can't find and LPP's to load them. :rolleyes: I don't even have empties to deprime and fix.

H48 is said to be corrosive also, but easier to make.
    https://gunstreamer.com/watch/reloa...m-hatcher-039-s-notebook_UUxliuhuEk6zTiH.html

This one is non-corrosive, but finding the supplies looks very difficult. He said you needed to make one of the compounds.
    https://gunstreamer.com/watch/reloading-primers-homemade-primer-compound-eps5_76T8fpsxlTgUktc.html

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So the solution is to just break it down and clean it? How far? Slide out and part, or pulling pins, slide stop, trigger group with connectors too?? Or clean the slide and neutralize slide stop and trigger group with something?

I got to clean my 1858's totally and was hoping to start shooting 45colt for cleaner shooting but can't find and LPP's to load them. :rolleyes: I don't even have empties to deprime and fix.

H48 is said to be corrosive also, but easier to make.
    https://gunstreamer.com/watch/reloa...m-hatcher-039-s-notebook_UUxliuhuEk6zTiH.html

This one is non-corrosive, but finding the supplies looks very difficult. He said you needed to make one of the compounds.
    https://gunstreamer.com/watch/reloading-primers-homemade-primer-compound-eps5_76T8fpsxlTgUktc.html

What are you shooting? In general with a pistol, this is my second hand knowledge as I've only shot corrosive once in a pistol, basically it is pull the barrel and clean it. Wipe down the breech face by wiping it down with some of the same hot water.

That is for a browning action or direct blow back. I've never heard that you need to do more than that (my focus was on an M57/Tokarev as I have a fair amount of corrosive ammo for it, but only ever shot it once with corrosive). That was the Comblock cleaning regime after shooting.

Wouldn't hurt to wipe down the nose of the gun too.

There is very little actual corrosive salts that get deposited in the gun when firing corrosive ammo. The parts that get direct exposure such as the barrel or a gas system are the ones that are of serious concern (and no gas system in a browning/direct blowback). The ones that might get slight deposition, like the nose of the gun, breech face are of secondary concern. Things like the trigger group, firing pin channel, etc. would only get the slightest amount (yes, they can get some carbon build up over time and should be cleaned, but the amount deposited of corrosive salts is like parts per million at that point).

A direct blow back gun shooting corrosive ammo I would be more concerned about the internals getting build up as you have more gases that leak back in to the gun in general compared to a browning action.

If you shoot a ton of corrosive (I don't know how you'd qualify that, hundreds and hundreds of rounds), then it probably is worth while periodically to break it all down and clean the whole thing just to be sure. Low volume I just wouldn't worry about it.

DO. NOT. SHOOT. CORROSIVE. AMMO. IN. AN. AR. 15.

You basically must clean all the things because of the gas that gets blown right back in to the BCG and upper.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    At $200 per 1000, I may just be ready to sell some SPP.

Anyone use Accurate 2200? I may have a few extra 8 lbs. containers I picked up when I couldn't find 2230.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I think people need to realize that even though the cost of primers wentt up like 100 bucks or 150 bucks that only adds $.15 to your reload. I shoot match grade 6.5 Lapua ammo right now is at $2.83 to 3.83 per round my reloads even with these prices are 1.65each

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom