Anyone else not like buying guns online?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Am I the only one who prefers to see them and hold.them prior to purchasing? Really want a micro scorpion but can't bring myself to buy it online. Atlantic firearms had one the other day. Kicking myself for not jumping on it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Absolutely. It may look nice but feel terrible.

This goes doubly so for used guns. Whenever I buy here I make clear that my commitment is based on a visual inspection.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    What’s not to like? You get to bypass the FFL and get your fully semiautomatic guns direct. :lol2:

At least that’s what I learned on the news. :sad20:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I get the convenience of online shopping for practically everything, but I seldom buy anything online.
    In one way I’m kinda like Shmoe Biden. Touchy, feely, sniff, sniff. :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was great back when C&R was plentiful and "hand pick" actually meant something.
    If I see something local, not paying transfer fee but paying tax or a higher price does not bother me at all.
    I want to keep the LGS open and in business.

For C&R, I keep a mental list and sometimes list on the phone of what I'm Interested in and then opportunity buy at a LGS or Gun shows.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Yea, I gotta hold the gun in my hand and see how it feels. I've seen plenty of guns that looked good in magazines, but when I held them it just didn't feel right. Either cheap feeling, or too small, or awkward mechanics, poor finish, etc.

That said, I bought a M1 sight unseen from CMP. That was a gun that I wanted for history more than anything else. Once I held it in my hands I knew it was a shooter and has become my favorite gun.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Am I the only one who prefers to see them and hold.them prior to purchasing? Really want a micro scorpion but can't bring myself to buy it online. Atlantic firearms had one the other day. Kicking myself for not jumping on it.

You’re probably (obviously) not “the only one” and personally, I approach each purchase on an individual basis ... more often than not, the amount of research I do beforehand (coupled with the fact that my grip, length of pull, etc., etc. must all be “the normal” mfrs use to make grips and sticks etc.) makes the $ I save via online purchases more than worth it.

Case in point, I just ordered a SIG P210 online and just before that a Galil ACE Pistol w brace .... not the least bit of concern about whether either will “fit” me right.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the Rossi M92 38/357 stainless I ordered online arrived with a fvcked up front sight and they failed to fix it when I sent it back so yeah, no way would that disaster be on my gun rack, had I actually handled it before purchase .. :mad54:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    When I want a new Glock I go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and pick up a brick. I figure it’s about the same and then I order the Glock online.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I buy a lot of obsolete milsurp rifles site unseen but usually prepare myself for what I may find and factor that into the offer/ price
    It has been my experience that usually condition is better than anticipated in most cases I suppose by sellers not wanting to get a bad rep.
    Parts purchases are usually hit or miss with no high expectations until a in person inspection takes place.
    Generally it’s the same thing however I just had one part out of a lot of 03 parts that had been massaged a little too much by a former owner.
    For what I paid for them theirs still not a whole lot of room to complain for the combined value of the lot.
    New guns I like to see in person, often depending on inventory I ask to see more than one example and pick the one that suits best.
    I just picked up a firing pin that was incorrect for the model I needed.
    It was for an earlier type but NOS so hard to complain, just set back the project for a few days until the right one could be obtained.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Both have their benefits. If I am looking for something new, and haven't handled/ shot one before, then it's nice to handle one first, especially for a handgun or shotgun, the fit is really important. Now if I am looking for something specific, to collect, or a different version of something I am familiar with, then I buy online and have a buddy with an FFL 5min away that does all my transfers. Many things just will never be available without special ordering it, or buying it from another collector, at that point there really isn't a difference compared to buying direct from an online seller.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am fine with buying online. If the ad has good photos.

I have purchased a number of firearms online. And been happy with every one.

I have also ordered a couple of firearms at an FFL, without handling them.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    I bought the majority of mine online simply bcuz LGS did not have what I was looking for. I know it is nicer to touch and feel but I have a pretty good idea what will be a good fit. The other issue right now is that I went to an LGS recently and they only allowed 5 people inside at a time. I waited about 20 minutes. So, once I get my turn inside, should I be the guy that tries every weapon in there to figure out what I want and keep everyone else outside waiting and waiting? So, on one hand I feel rushed and on the other I feel I may be inconsiderate to others waiting their turn.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I generally buy online because I mostly buy used stuff and most of that is stuff I dont ever see at the lgs. Say you want an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk. If I wait for one to come in a local shop, I may never find one or if one does show up it may be beat up or too high or whatever. I can go on GB, look at several guns right then, and than have it at my dealer in a few days.

When I'm in the market for a new current model gun, I'll buy directly from the lgs even if they have to order it. But I've bought several off of GB with no issues.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Only firearms I've bought on line have been C&R (always took the "handpicked" option if available).
    Otherwise I'm with the "touchy/feely" crowd. I definitely want to see how it feels in my hand and the general balance of the gun.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I drove to Duffy's to buy a M&P Shield 9....put it in my hand, and didnt like it, got a different one which I love!

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    When I want a new Glock I go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and pick up a brick. I figure it’s about the same and then I order the Glock online.
    So much hate... function over form Jon, function over form.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    So much hate... function over form Jon, function over form.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I have a few, just joking :)

Attachments

• 68FF602E-E546-4C1A-BB79-62B55A354341.jpg
      68FF602E-E546-4C1A-BB79-62B55A354341.jpg
      140.4 KB · Views: 108
    • A81156C5-43C0-4727-B1B2-7FE59E421397.jpg
      A81156C5-43C0-4727-B1B2-7FE59E421397.jpg
      140 KB · Views: 108
    • 8CA23328-1B9A-4EA6-950C-63F789F02B4A.jpg
      8CA23328-1B9A-4EA6-950C-63F789F02B4A.jpg
      155.3 KB · Views: 114
    • 565CBF81-6923-4B26-86C6-2C319B7ECD50.jpg
      565CBF81-6923-4B26-86C6-2C319B7ECD50.jpg
      159.6 KB · Views: 116
    • 93622FD8-1F29-4DB5-BB95-4C25DF629391.jpg
      93622FD8-1F29-4DB5-BB95-4C25DF629391.jpg
      165.6 KB · Views: 107

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I like older wood and steel guns that are not often found at local dealers so online is about the only option. Try and find a JM stamped Marlin or Remington Model 8 at the local gun shop.

As far as modern handguns - I try to stick to just a few models so I don't have to buy a variety of magazines. A G19 is a G19 no matter if I buy it in person or online.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like older wood and steel guns that are not often found at local dealers so online is about the only option. Try and find a JM stamped Marlin or Remington Model 8 at the local gun shop.

As far as modern handguns - I try to stick to just a few models so I don't have to buy a variety of magazines. A G19 is a G19 no matter if I buy it in person or online.

You never know. I picked up my .30-40 Krag at LGS. And they had a Trapdoor Springfield at the same time. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom