• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I do have a light weight 22LR can that I use on my S&W M&P 22 Compact. It weighs 3.5 ounces and is very effective (dare I say hearing safe) on that pistol. HOWEVER - It would be nice to have a suppressor for a 22 or 17 mag rimfire bolt gun. What do you guys recommend? SilencerCo Sparrow 22 gets a lot of positive reviews and is comparatively cheap. Also looking at the Rugged Oculus.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    If I were buying a 22 can right now I’d get an Oculus or a dead air mask. Both are awesome.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I posted a mini review of my SilencerCo Switchback it's also rated up to 22 Hornet & 5.7x28. I don't know if the optimized configuration can be used with other than .22LR

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Rugged Oculus, Dead Air Mask, Silencerco Switchback, or Optimus Micro are all good choices. Optimus Micro earns extra points for being rated all the way up to 22-250 with reasonable limitations.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve got an AAC Element 2. Highly recommended. Nice and light weight. Fairly rigged. Though I don’t go around smashing it on things.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a Sparrow that I used on a Savage bolt action .22 mag. Sounds like a unsuppressed .22lr. hi velocity.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a Sparrow that I used on a Savage bolt action .22 mag. Sounds like a unsuppressed .22lr. hi velocity.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

This they certainly aren't very quiet of the little magnums

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    22-250? Wow!
    https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-micro-silencer-22lr-through-22-250/

It sounds surprisingly good on a 16” 5.56 AR. Fairly chunky at 8.5 ounces as configured from the factory, whereas the switchback, oculus, and mask are in the 6.6-6.8 ounce range. Additionally, using a taper mount adapter and muzzle device adds weight to the point that it’s equivalent to light weight centerfire K cans, but I appreciate the fact that you CAN do that with it. For reference the new full auto rated Thunder Beast Dominus K-SR clocks in 10 ounces + muzzle device weight, but that is in a very different price category from the Optimus Micro, and isn’t really suitable for rimfire usage.

Anyway it’s something to think about. Any of the four I mentioned would be great for your purposes. If you want something lighter weight that can still easily handle rimfire magnums, look at titanium suppressors like the Q El Camino or Energetic Armament Nyx Mod2.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-micro-silencer-22lr-through-22-250/

It sounds surprisingly good on a 16” 5.56 AR. Fairly chunky at 8.5 ounces as configured from the factory, whereas the switchback, oculus, and mask are in the 6.6-6.8 ounce range. Additionally, using a taper mount adapter and muzzle device adds weight to the point that it’s equivalent to light weight centerfire K cans, but I appreciate the fact that you CAN do that with it. For reference the new full auto rated Thunder Beast Dominus K-SR clocks in 10 ounces + muzzle device weight, but that is in a very different price category from the Optimus Micro, and isn’t really suitable for rimfire usage.

Anyway it’s something to think about. Any of the four I mentioned would be great for your purposes. If you want something lighter weight that can still easily handle rimfire magnums, look at titanium suppressors like the Q El Camino or Energetic Armament Nyx Mod2.

How well does the optimus micro suppress on a .556 ? I’ve been looking into one of them. They seem like a bargain for a .22 can that can do .556 at a very reasonable price.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    How well does the optimus micro suppress on a .556 ? I’ve been looking into one of them. They seem like a bargain for a .22 can that can do .556 at a very reasonable price.
    I don’t have access to a decibel meter, so I can’t objectively answer your question. I would guess slightly above hearing safe*, won’t ring your ears if you take a couple shots outdoors in relatively open terrain.In a bolt action rifle with a decent length barrel, I expect it would be hearing safe at the shooter’s ear under most conditions. Griffin Armament has one of the new metering systems that is considered accurate though, so I expect they can answer your questions if you email them directly.

*as in not, but with the introduction of new metering systems, we are learning that almost all metering data for the past 20-30 years has been bad. So what cans really are “hearing safe” on 5.56 semi autos? Probably not many.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Mask is an awesome all around can, great tone and suppression, no real FRP, decent size at 5.1x1", a little heavy at 6.6oz, but about average among steel baffled cans. The baffles are a little tough to clean without an ultrasonic due to the complex shape, but they come apart and click together easy enough. My main gripe is the tube can unscrew from the mount when unscrewing from a host. most of the time you can ac unless you really crank down on the cap, but all in all I enjoy mine.

Have an Oculus in NFA jail since last fall (hopefully getting close) and shot one a few times. It's just slightly longer/heavier than the Mask in full size, but has the 3.25" 4.3oz K-configuration. The main module is 1 peice, so less likely to come apart when taking off a firearm, but also makes it a little tougher to clean. It still suppresses well in FS, but IMO the mask may be a hair quieter with a little softer tone, in K it's decent on a rifle, and hearing safe on a handgun.

The Silencerco sparrow is a good can, similar in size to the mask, but monocore, it's louder, distinct FRP, easier to clean, and the mount threads are 1 peice with the core, so won't come apart when removing from a host, IMO it's the best of older tech, but newer designs offer more. Have handled the switchback, but haven't heard or shot one, it looks awesome, but IMO it might be a little too "modular". In full size config, it's longer than the Oculus and Mask, but seems to offer similar performance, in mid size, it's a little longer with similar performance to the Oculus in K config, the shortest 2.5" config isn't hearing safe on a pistol. The issues I have some cans unscrewing when removing (have some 22s with the can partially under handguards) seems like it would happen with this, but not with the Oculus. I spent time comparing these 2, but chose the Oculus.

The Griffin Optimus Micro is a curious can, similar in size to the Oculus in FS, but 9.3oz out of the box(the 8.5oz spec is without the DT mount), shot one, the suppression wasn't great on 22 with noticeable FRP( a little louder than a Sparrow, a fair amount louder than the Mask), it sounded good on a 5.56 AR with the adapter, as good as most rifle cans i've heard. Kinda looks goofy being really long and skinny in centerfire config, and probably has a lot of backpressure, but it does what it's advertised to do. Like my Optimus 9 it's tough and easy to dissasemble and clean and IMO the taper mount adapter system is the most practical on the market. Only real issue is it gives up a lot for the rifle rating, and is an expensive, heavy can with mediocre rimfire performance.

Griffin also make a Resistance 22, it's a short 4.75" and fat 1.375 and light at 5oz, rated for 223 (5rds then cool 16" barrel) with the same taper mount adapter the Optimus micro uses. It's tough, has interesting ratings, has more volume and sounds good, but the can and baffles are Aluminum, so most easy cleaning methods are out, IMO it's a dealbreaker.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The Mask is an awesome all around can, great tone and suppression, no real FRP, decent size at 5.1x1", a little heavy at 6.6oz, but about average among steel baffled cans. The baffles are a little tough to clean without an ultrasonic due to the complex shape, but they come apart and click together easy enough. My main gripe is the tube can unscrew from the mount when unscrewing from a host. most of the time you can ac unless you really crank down on the cap, but all in all I enjoy mine.

Have an Oculus in NFA jail since last fall (hopefully getting close) and shot one a few times. It's just slightly longer/heavier than the Mask in full size, but has the 3.25" 4.3oz K-configuration. The main module is 1 peice, so less likely to come apart when taking off a firearm, but also makes it a little tougher to clean. It still suppresses well in FS, but IMO the mask may be a hair quieter with a little softer tone, in K it's decent on a rifle, and hearing safe on a handgun.

The Silencerco sparrow is a good can, similar in size to the mask, but monocore, it's louder, distinct FRP, easier to clean, and the mount threads are 1 peice with the core, so won't come apart when removing from a host, IMO it's the best of older tech, but newer designs offer more. Have handled the switchback, but haven't heard or shot one, it looks awesome, but IMO it might be a little too "modular". In full size config, it's longer than the Oculus and Mask, but seems to offer similar performance, in mid size, it's a little longer with similar performance to the Oculus in K config, the shortest 2.5" config isn't hearing safe on a pistol. The issues I have some cans unscrewing when removing (have some 22s with the can partially under handguards) seems like it would happen with this, but not with the Oculus. I spent time comparing these 2, but chose the Oculus.

The Griffin Optimus Micro is a curious can, similar in size to the Oculus in FS, but 9.3oz out of the box(the 8.5oz spec is without the DT mount), shot one, the suppression wasn't great on 22 with noticeable FRP( a little louder than a Sparrow, a fair amount louder than the Mask), it sounded good on a 5.56 AR with the adapter, as good as most rifle cans i've heard. Kinda looks goofy being really long and skinny in centerfire config, and probably has a lot of backpressure, but it does what it's advertised to do. Like my Optimus 9 it's tough and easy to dissasemble and clean and IMO the taper mount adapter system is the most practical on the market. Only real issue is it gives up a lot for the rifle rating, and is an expensive, heavy can with mediocre rimfire performance.

Griffin also make a Resistance 22, it's a short 4.75" and fat 1.375 and light at 5oz, rated for 223 (5rds then cool 16" barrel) with the same taper mount adapter the Optimus micro uses. It's tough, has interesting ratings, has more volume and sounds good, but the can and baffles are Aluminum, so most easy cleaning methods are out, IMO it's a dealbreaker.

So the micro isn’t as great as it looks on paper ?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    So the micro isn’t as great as it looks on paper ?
    Literally no can is as good as it looks on paper. I’ll trust the above poster on the Optimus Micro’s lackluster .22lr performance as I’ve only heard it on an AR. What made me think of it for the OP is that magnum rimfires are screaming along pretty well, so the baffle design in the Micro may be well suited for that purpose. Pure supposition on my part.

Either way it’s a popular can that seems to have found a big following, though I suspect mostly for centerfire calibers.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I have a dead air mask HD and I am very happy with it. It is rated for 22lr, 22mag , 22 hornet, 17Hmr, 17 WSM, and 5.7x28. It is also full auto rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom