• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fundimental self question : Do you want a 1911 platform on purpose , or the best platform for 10mm ?

If 1911 on purpose , see the above recommendations .

If best platform for all varieties of 10mm , the Glock preferably the SF flavor .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Another option would be a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 in 10mm.

I picked up a Dan Wesson Kodiak from 2A last year as a 50th birthday present to myself. 6" longslide 10mm 1911 it shoots very smooth and accurate. Heavy but soaks up recoil very well.
    Dan Wesson didn't really come onto my radar in a meaningful way until recently. (I've been aware of DW since I was a kid in the 1970s though - mostly for revolvers) I was looking to pick up a new 1911 - I wanted a shooter, but I also didn't want to lowball on price/quality. Initially I started looking at the Sig STX, which led to the Springfield TRP. I was all set to get the Springfield, but in reading around I kept seeing mentions of Dan Wesson.

I now own 2 Dan Wesson 1911s - a Silverback I picked up from a fellow member that was barely and very gently used, and the Valor and I ended up ordering.

I have no regrets whatsoever about spending the extra money on the Dan Wesson, and I can't really look at much else where 1911s are concerned these days. I'm hooked. Those two 1911s gobble up any and every ammo I've thrown at them from RN ball, to hollow point HD loads, to 200 gr lead semiwadcutter reloads.

With that said, if I'd have gotten the Springfield TRP, I'm sure I'd be singing the praise of that too, but right now if I was looking to get a 10 mm in a 1911 platform, I'd be hard pressed to look anywhere other than Dan Wesson.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I will come out of left field and say Smith & Wesson 1006.

The 3rd Gen Smiths are big, robust and stout but very fun to shoot even though it turned the FBI into 40 Shorty & Wimpy loving metrosexuals back in the day.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I see utility of a revolver 10mm in the GP-100 frame size. Kinda interesting, really. Fundamentally a 357 Magnum just getting into 41 Mag territory. But in a large frame, its a no show for me with the 41 and 44 Magnums available with more power.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I see utility of a revolver 10mm in the GP-100 frame size. Kinda interesting, really. Fundamentally a 357 Magnum just getting into 41 Mag territory. But in a large frame, its a no show for me with the 41 and 44 Magnums available with more power.
    Same, and I have each. I have no real desire for a semi-auto in 10 mm, and my big revolvers cover that end of the spectrum. I'm just not sure what I'd actually get with a 10 mm semi-auto. More power certainly, but with greater recoil, it would make faster follow up shots a bit slower. Follow up shots are not something I think about when shooting revolvers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 10mm in 1911 shooting full house ammo is not an ideal action competition or defensive/duty combination. Follow up shot are slower. I haven’t shot the 10mm in another platform but I am sure its the same...physics.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    The 10mm in 1911 shooting full house ammo is not an ideal action competition or defensive/duty combination. Follow up shot are slower. I haven’t shot the 10mm in another platform but I am sure its the same...physics.

I can say that there is an appreciable difference in recoil with my Springfield TRP Operator Long Slide. Considering it’s more mass, the recoil of Underwood 200 and 220 grain projectiles is more like a 45. This is subjective of course and other factors do come into play where that particular pistol may not suit the OPs needs or wants.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My usual statement on the subject :

If you just love shooting .41 Mag SilverTip , but always say to yourself " Dang ! I just love shooting these .41 ST , but I really wish I could duplicate it with belt size Bottomfeeder " , then 10mm is your Huckleberry !

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Fundimental self question : Do you want a 1911 platform on purpose , or the best platform for 10mm ?

If 1911 on purpose , see the above recommendations .

If best platform for all varieties of 10mm , the Glock preferably the SF flavor .

This.

The glock 20 is the king of 10mm for functionality if not style. I love my .45 acp Colt 1911, but for a working gun in 10mm the Glock is where it's at.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Same, and I have each. I have no real desire for a semi-auto in 10 mm, and my big revolvers cover that end of the spectrum. I'm just not sure what I'd actually get with a 10 mm semi-auto. More power certainly, but with greater recoil, it would make faster follow up shots a bit slower. Follow up shots are not something I think about when shooting revolvers.

When faced w a pack of wild dogs or an oversized black bear 1.5 miles from the nearest road and 15 miles from the nearest town the Glock 20 with 46 rounds of "don't **** w me" is reassuring.

I've experienced both.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When faced w a pack of wild dogs or an oversized black bear 1.5 miles from the nearest road and 15 miles from the nearest town the Glock 20 with 46 rounds of "don't **** w me" is reassuring.

I've experienced both.
    I can appreciate that. For the bear, I recently experienced shooting and watching others shoot a S&W 500 Magnum. To say it was impressive is an understatement, and I think the 5 rounds that gun holds would probably be sufficient. (Lots of rearward recoil, but curiously much less muzzle flip than I expected, although it's ported so that probably helps.)

The wild dogs, however - that's a whole other matter entirely. In that case I think I'd want about as many potent rounds of "don't **** with me" I could have.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , a friend of mine Was set upon by feral pack dogs while hunting in WV . His discoveries were twofold :

A 240gr PMC Starfire in the chest from a Marlin '94 will decisively stop even a large pack dog .

After decisively killing the first 2 or 3 leaders , the rest of the pack will suddenly remember pressing business elsewhere .

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I can appreciate that. For the bear, I recently experienced shooting and watching others shoot a S&W 500 Magnum. To say it was impressive is an understatement, and I think the 5 rounds that gun holds would probably be sufficient. (Lots of rearward recoil, but curiously much less muzzle flip than I expected, although it's ported so that probably helps.)

The wild dogs, however - that's a whole other matter entirely. In that case I think I'd want about as many potent rounds of "don't **** with me" I could have.

I have a .500 and a .45 win mag. I'll still put the g20 up against you basic eastern bear. Perhaps not brown bears for sure.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    A Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm is on my want list for the semi-near future, with a simple conversion to SA/DA afterwards.
    787793-EAA_Corp_Tanfoglio_Witness_Elite_Match_9mm_Pistol_Stainless_600660.jpg

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Hmm.. I know now's not the time to build one but you got me thinking,
    and that's not good. the hunt begins...parts bin..

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom