• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I was going to post this in the “Handguns” section as my conversation started over LCRx in 9mm with a healthcare provider looking to help his 22-yoa daughter get her first defensive handgun (not sure where in the East she attended but, it seems she went college pretty “anti-everything” gun related and with zero input from him came home four years later demanding, “I want a gun ASAP and I want to learn how to use it!

but, Lo and behold finding a LCRx in 9mm is like finding a honest human in the MD General Assembly ... (small puke in mouth)

Soooooooo, we are looking at a LCRx in .22 WMR.

I am not so much looking for discussion on caliber as I am curious about any LCR / LCRx owners opinions, lauding or griping about the revolvers, in general.

Anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Love my LCR .38 but I think the .22 mag might be a better choice for a non enthusiast. Recoil is kinda sharp in .38 with factory grips.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    short grip and heavy double action pull may be a concern as well. The pistol itself is solid and reliable but a lot of newer shooters question the comfort factor. We use one as a demo for new shooters looking to figure out what they want to purchase for their first hand gun.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Thanks TLL,

It. Is. Done.

LOL, looks like he got the last one in .22WMR for $528 at TheGunDock! https://store.thegundock.com/produc...ogue-tamer-monogrip-grip-black#product_detail

Plus shipping and NO TAX (yay!) he’s in at $551 and our FFL charges an incredible $10 per transfer (H*ll, I was paying $20 per transfer in College Park back in 1978!!!!!!!!

And your intuition / perception is spot on; she does not strike me as an “enthusiast” by any stretch of the imagination but rather a “pragmatist.”

Reading between the lines in my prolonged conversations with her Dad, it seems the harder an “anti-gun,” “all guns evil” doctrine was forced on not her but nearly all her classmates the more inquisitive they became ... only to recognize the anti-mantra for what it is.

Thank you again (he and I were literally on the phone and he asked me to check back here for any replies before he tapped the “Submit Order” button)!

Dad and daughter will be my wife’s and my guests at our home range and, it’s gonna be interesting to see my wife’s reaction if she gets ahold of the gun (my wife already HATES every 1/10 of an ounce carrying her Glock 9mm instead of her .380 adds to her purse and her wrists are getting weaker by the day it seems ;-/

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'm sorry that I don't like the sound of it. She needs more education on gun use/operation/law. She needs to know more about calibers and action types. The first step is to go to the range and rent to try out.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    short grip and heavy double action pull may be a concern as well. The pistol itself is solid and reliable but a lot of newer shooters question the comfort factor. We use one as a demo for new shooters looking to figure out what they want to purchase for their first hand gun.

Just curious but is that an LCR a or an LCRx?

I was informed (either accurately or incorrectly) that Ruger improved the trigger pull on the LCRx ...

Heck, either way, Dad and daughter are in high cotton cuz, if daughter don like it (and her Daddy don’t want it) I’ll buy the dang thing from them (my oldest son completes his NC CHP class next weekend and we are going to surprise him with a Hellcat but, when my wife felt how easy it is to rack the slide on that I heard her whisper mumble, “I want THIS!” :lol2:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    What is " 22- HOA " ?

D*mn spill chick. :lol: Fixed it. “yoa” = years of age. Geez, every time I try and type yoa spill chick on my tablet changes it to HOA... :rolleyes:

Well either that or, my bud’s daughter is a progeny real estate magnate (just think of the brain squirrels dealing with 2 HOA’s would cause let alone 22! :lol2:

ETA: not seeing any indication Ruger “improved” the trigger pull of the LCRx over the LCR; and, this article treats a bit as to what the “x” at the end of LCR even indicates or denotes:

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/blogs/news/ruger-pistols-lcr-vs-lcrx-model-options

<snip>

Specs

Despite its similarity to other LCR models (which can be expected from an LCR subtype) the LCR(x) offers an impressive list of its features that allow the handgun to stand apart from other models in the series.

Still weighing-in under the one-pound mark at 15.7 ounces unloaded, the LCRx maintains concealability with its 7.5-inch overall length, 1.28-inch width, and 5.8-inch height.

Frame
    In addition to utilizing the polymer, steel, and aluminum-blend frame design of the original LCR, the LCRx features a longer, 3-inch barrel that generates more firing power than the original while remaining easily concealable.

While the 3-inch barrel remains as easy to draw and control as the 1.87-inch version, it offers a longer sight radius that renders the gun easier to aim than the shorter-barreled versions.

The 3-inch barrel of the LCRx also generates nearly as much stopping power as any 4-inch model of the same caliber, making the LCRx a perfect choice for self-defense carry whether you are camping or at work.

Perhaps most notably, the LCRx brings back the iconic look of the external hammer that so many of us associate with a wheel gun. However, this nod to the past does not mean that the LCRx is anything like your grandmother’s snubbie. In fact, unlike the cumbersome external hammers of yesteryear, the LCRx’s hammer is designed for a more streamlined look that allows for an unhindered draw for your Ruger holster.

<end-snip>

Last edited:

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm glad you didn't go with 9mm. Google bullet creep/crimp jump in a lightweight revolver. I used to own an LCR in 9mm. I would not trust it for self defense.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    <snip>

ETA: not seeing any indication Ruger “improved” the trigger pull of the LCRx over the LCR; and, this article treats a bit as to what the “x” at the end of LCR even indicates or denotes:

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/blogs/news/ruger-pistols-lcr-vs-lcrx-model-options

<snip>

Skimmed it; couldn't read it. Author was getting paid by the word and milking it.

Pretty sure the only difference in the LCR vs LCRx is the external hammer, and maybe barrel lengths.

I have the .22 LCRx and it's been great. Being that light in a .22 isn't a big deal. Reasonably accurate and runs fine even when dirty. The .357 is aso here but I haven't had a chance to shoot it. Trigger feels pretty good during dry fire.

ETA: Sorry for the awful quote & edit job.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Pretty sure the only difference in the LCR vs LCRx is the external hammer, and maybe barrel lengths.

I have the .22 LCRx and it's been great. Being that light in a .22 isn't a big deal. Reasonably accurate and runs fine even when dirty. The .357 is aso here but I haven't had a chance to shoot it. Trigger feels pretty good during dry fire.

ETA: Sorry for the awful quote & edit job.

De Nada and, it appears I have yet another ETA of my own in this unfolding ... drama? ... saga? ... ....?:

Gotta a hair this am and ordered Mama a LCR (no x) in 38Spl +P from Impact Guns* ... it’ll be a surprise ... she can try it out w some 148g wadcutter target loads I have and if she approves of the trigger pull (I flat out already KNOW she’s gonna approve of the 13oz base weight! :lol2:) then we have numerous +P factory loads for her to choose from for two legged coyotes and even some snake shot for the four legged variety when she and the J. Russell are out on leash with each other ...

* - And, just like the both the Glock 44 22LR I ordered from Family Firearms yesterday AND the Ruger LCRx 22 Mag I helped my doc buddy buy (iirc, TheGunDock?), all three guns were the lone one last one in each online vendors inventory (whew!) :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom