• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just another example...

We served a search warrant a couple months ago to help another jurisdiction with a shooting case. Ended up finding several Poly80 guns and large amount of weed and crack. One 18 year old had a Poly80 in his pants when he was detained. He is prohibited due to age and a felony conviction as a juvenile. He is doubly prohibited, in a house with 3 other felons, surrounded by weed and crack. He was charged with firearm violations.

Fast forward to this week. The same 18 year old is involved in a large shooting event in my jurisdiction on Tuesday. On Wednesday we had a double homicide shooting. Again, we believe the 18 year old is involved in this shooting. I spoke with a State's Attorney about his initial charges, which come up for court next week. They wanted to offer a no jail plea (that is their STARTING POINT in negotiations) since its his first gun offense.

The charge of prohibited person states that a person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 15 years. So, screw the mandatory minimum of 5 years... NO JAIL PLEA.

You might be asking yourself, why is a prohibited person charged with a gun offense free to wander around and be involved in two shootings within 36 hours? Yea, I'm wondering the same thing myself. He had a $100 unsecure personal bond and posted that night. That means that when he fails to show up to court next week (because he knows he is a viable suspect in 2 shooting incidents that resulted in 2 deaths), he will owe the court $100.

So yea, I do agree we need some "common sense" gun laws, because the current iteration of laws we have is absurd. There need not be further restrictions on LAW ABIDING CITIZENS that prevent them from owning guns. We need to ENFORCE the existing gun laws when people commit crimes with guns.

Things like this make me glad I'm federal. It pisses me off just hearing about it but I can't imagine the revolving door ******** you go through and the toll it has to take.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Things like this make me glad I'm federal. It pisses me off just hearing about it but I can't imagine the revolving door ******** you go through and the toll it has to take.
    Yea, it can be frustrating. I worked sex crimes before and found that work rewarding. Convictions had sentences in the decades. Now I'm doing station level investigations, and lots of these crimes will get pled down because they don't care about "ghetto" shootings. Its ridiculous. Democrat executive, democrat council, democrat judges, democrat police chief, democrat Sheriff... nothing but lip service about black victims of crime. When it comes time to hold the defendants accountable, they could care less about the black victim's lives that they claim "matter".

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Because BLM and ANTIFA are their current incarnations of Dignity Battalions and the Bolivarian Militias .

I keep saying similar things. The Demoncrat party will continue to work towards de-establishing all police departments and once that happens they will have entities similar to the Dignity Battalions serving the function of police, uniformed and armed, but, they will owe their allegiance to the Demoncrat Party and not to a state or federal constitution.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Just another example...

We served a search warrant a couple months ago to help another jurisdiction with a shooting case. Ended up finding several Poly80 guns and large amount of weed and crack. One 18 year old had a Poly80 in his pants when he was detained. He is prohibited due to age and a felony conviction as a juvenile. He is doubly prohibited, in a house with 3 other felons, surrounded by weed and crack. He was charged with firearm violations.

Fast forward to this week. The same 18 year old is involved in a large shooting event in my jurisdiction on Tuesday. On Wednesday we had a double homicide shooting. Again, we believe the 18 year old is involved in this shooting. I spoke with a State's Attorney about his initial charges, which come up for court next week. They wanted to offer a no jail plea (that is their STARTING POINT in negotiations) since its his first gun offense.

The charge of prohibited person states that a person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 15 years. So, screw the mandatory minimum of 5 years... NO JAIL PLEA.

You might be asking yourself, why is a prohibited person charged with a gun offense free to wander around and be involved in two shootings within 36 hours? Yea, I'm wondering the same thing myself. He had a $100 unsecure personal bond and posted that night. That means that when he fails to show up to court next week (because he knows he is a viable suspect in 2 shooting incidents that resulted in 2 deaths), he will owe the court $100.

So yea, I do agree we need some "common sense" gun laws, because the current iteration of laws we have is absurd. There need not be further restrictions on LAW ABIDING CITIZENS that prevent them from owning guns. We need to ENFORCE the existing gun laws when people commit crimes with guns.

The problem is not the current laws, the problems is with the prosecutors. They look for the most cost effective way to dispose of the case. Going to trial has a huge expense vs. negotiating down to a charge with no jail time and minimal fines.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Unfortunately no. Thankfully, I was able to walk the prosecutor back and she didn't extend the offer... at least yet. I'm sure it's a moot point, cause this kid isn't gonna show for court tomorrow anyway.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

If you can think of any other good ones to reference, please let us know :thumbsup:

You guys have first hand accounts of this stuff that most out there will never see. I'm sure you could find a real-life counter argument to anything MGA could throw at us.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Yea, it can be frustrating. I worked sex crimes before and found that work rewarding. Convictions had sentences in the decades. Now I'm doing station level investigations, and lots of these crimes will get pled down because they don't care about "ghetto" shootings. Its ridiculous. Democrat executive, democrat council, democrat judges, democrat police chief, democrat Sheriff... nothing but lip service about black victims of crime. When it comes time to hold the defendants accountable, they could care less about the black victim's lives that they claim "matter".

This. This is the info we need. Specific cases to point to where we can say: "This person committed this crime, and all he got was X, and was back on the streets X days later". This info is CRUCIAL.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    If I remember correctly, at least one of the guys involved in the United Guns robbery was out on parole for three different drug and guns related charges. I was trying to search for news articles to confirm, but can’t find anything right now from my phone. That was pretty darn eye-opening at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom