• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    What is the difference between the 2 primers attached? They are both CCI non magnum large rifle primers. One is described as for a military cartridge. Does crimping a primer require a difference in the primer itself?

Attachments

• Capture 01.JPG
      Capture 01.JPG
      9.1 KB · Views: 519
    • Capture 02.JPG
      Capture 02.JPG
      18.4 KB · Views: 515

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I think the military style primer cups are generally harder, so softer firing pin strike from some sports style firearms won't detonate them. If used in machineguns the sportsmans style may fire too easily leading to accidental discharge. I may be wrong but that is my recollection.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Many firearms have what is referred to as a floating firing pin. The firing pin is free to move back and forth in the bolt, there isn’t a spring holding it back. The M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14, and the M16 series of firearms are good US examples. The AK series as well as the SKS firearms also have the same style of floating firing pin. The result is that when the bolt closes the firing pin can move forward and hit the primer. The problem is that if the primer cup is soft the round may go off. The problem is more likely with heavy firing pins.
    The militaries specify harder primer cups to prevent soft firing pin hits causing problems.

As far as crimping goes. The military specifies a crimped primer just to make sure it stays put. And some primers are sealed to prevent water from affecting the ammo.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So in these days of scarce primers, If I see these in stock at a reasonable price i'm a free to purchase and use the interchangeably. Both my 30-06 M1 and 308 AR10 have a floating firing pin. I did know that the only difference between large rifle and large pistol was rifle was a thicker cup metal, I didn't realize that military cups were thicker still

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also, allegedly, the #34 primers have magnum priming mix.

Read here under product overview:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301152162

This also. Functionally the #41 and #34 are magnum small and large rifle primers respectively in terms of heat/pressure and cup thickness. The anvil is spaced just a tiny bit further away on the mil primers than the magnum primers to make it just that much harder for a footing firing pin to dent the primer and set it off without it being an intentional strike.

In terms of load data, treat them the same as CCI magnums.

Large rifle and large pistol primers are a different height AND priming charge. They are really the same at all. You cannot interchange them.

You can interchange small rifle and small pistol. Though small pistol isn’t likely to do well igniting a rifle charge as they aren’t nearly as hot. Small rifle would lead to over pressure in a pistol load that was already on the edge (hotter than a magnum small pistol primer). Probably wouldn’t need to reduce your charge by more than .1-.2gr.

Most pistols would set off a small rifle primer. A striker fired gun with a light striker spring or other gun with a particular light seat spring might not set one off as they are harder than small pistol magnum primers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can interchange small rifle and small pistol. Though small pistol isn’t likely to do well igniting a rifle charge as they aren’t nearly as hot. Small rifle would lead to over pressure in a pistol load that was already on the edge (hotter than a magnum small pistol primer). Probably wouldn’t need to reduce your charge by more than .1-.2gr.

Most pistols would set off a small rifle primer. A striker fired gun with a light striker spring or other gun with a particular light seat spring might not set one off as they are harder than small pistol magnum primers.

AFAIK, the Small Pistol MAGNUM primer is the same as the Small Rifle primer.

Think CCI has stated this in writing.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    ok yall, your punishment for answering my question is another question. :D

I find myself hankerin' for a brick of large rifle primers (non magnum)
    In the past I have used nearly ALL CCI #200 primers without any issues. During the LAST shortage I purchased 2 bricks of Winchester primers. They worked but a significant number (maybe 3 or 4 per hundred) ended up falling on the floor. Most of them I was able to rat up and use. I use a Lee safety prime system for on press priming if it makes a difference.

I find many other primers listed in stock and would like to have any opinions you care to share regarding any problems you have experienced with these alternate standard large rifle primers.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      8.3 KB · Views: 117
    • Capture2.JPG
      Capture2.JPG
      10.7 KB · Views: 118
    • Capture3.JPG
      Capture3.JPG
      11.1 KB · Views: 107

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Acually, there is a difference between large rifle and large pistol other than cup thickness. The large rifle primer is taller than the large pistol primer.

See this page for info:
    https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php

There is no dimensional difference between small rifle and small pistol.

thanks for the correction. I know Lee only has 2 primer arms, small and large. I had assumed the outer dimensions of rifle and pistol were otherwise the same. :blush:

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    When I started reloading, I was getting CCI primers from a local shop. I had problems with them feeding in the press, a Dillon 550. When I contacted Dillon, they told me that the CCI primers were not consistently round and recommended Winchester primers. I started using Winchester primers and have used them since. That was over thirty years ago, and I understand CCI has improved. I do use Federal match primers for certain loads. However, since Federal primers are known to have softer cups, I won’t use them for my loads that will be fired in the Garand’s or M14 series of rifles.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    thanks for the correction. I know Lee only has 2 primer arms, small and large. I had assumed the outer dimensions of rifle and pistol were otherwise the same. :blush:

They are.

Large rifle primers are TALLER than large pistol primers. But them on a flat surface, with one of the flat sides down, side by side. The rifle primers are taller.

Small rifle and small pistol are the same diameter and height.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ok yall, your punishment for answering my question is another question. :D

I find myself hankerin' for a brick of large rifle primers (non magnum)
    In the past I have used nearly ALL CCI #200 primers without any issues. During the LAST shortage I purchased 2 bricks of Winchester primers. They worked but a significant number (maybe 3 or 4 per hundred) ended up falling on the floor. Most of them I was able to rat up and use. I use a Lee safety prime system for on press priming if it makes a difference.

I find many other primers listed in stock and would like to have any opinions you care to share regarding any problems you have experienced with these alternate standard large rifle primers.

Large rifle primers between manufacturers are similar.

You can use any of them. But you should reduce the charge and work back up to your desired load.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I started reloading, I was getting CCI primers from a local shop. I had problems with them feeding in the press, a Dillon 550. When I contacted Dillon, they told me that the CCI primers were not consistently round and recommended Winchester primers. I started using Winchester primers and have used them since. That was over thirty years ago, and I understand CCI has improved. I do use Federal match primers for certain loads. However, since Federal primers are known to have softer cups, I won’t use them for my loads that will be fired in the Garand’s or M14 series of rifles.

I keep hearing this, but I have loaded tens of thousands of CCI primers in my 650.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I keep hearing this, but I have loaded tens of thousands of CCI primers in my 650.

The time frame that I spoke of having difficulties with CCI primers was early 1986. As posted, I understand that CCI has improved their primes, as probably everyone has. I started using Winchester primers, they worked well for me and I didn’t see any reason to use CCI primers again. And considering one time I purchased three quarters of a million Winchester primers, of various types, it took some time to use them up.

Last edited:

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    According to CCI, the difference in the mil spec primer and standard is the mil spec has a less sensitive primer mix that also has a higher brisance and a different angle/height on the anvil. They are also not chromed and as mentioned, prevents slam fires from floating firing pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom