• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinoyDDragon

Jul 12, 2017
    So I currently have a RAI M1911-A1 MS. I really like the size of it but def want something lighter. I had a Glock 43 and the I did not like the size (mainly the Grip length) was too small for me. The mag with the pinky extension helped but was still not really a fan. So what I'm looking for is something kind of in-between. Feature/spec wise:
    9mm
    polymer frame
    manual safety
    NOT a glock.

Any recommendations will help while I research more.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I currently have a RAI M1911-A1 MS. I really like the size of it but def want something lighter. I had a Glock 43 and the I did not like the size (mainly the Grip length) was too small for me. The mag with the pinky extension helped but was still not really a fan. So what I'm looking for is something kind of in-between. Feature/spec wise:
    9mm
    polymer frame
    manual safety
    NOT a glock.

If it has to have a safety, the S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ is great because not only can you get it with a safety, but it also has a grip safety. If you can be happy with only a grip safety, the Springfield XD-S mod.2 is great. I own and carry both guns. If you like RIA and you're willing to go to a 380, the Baby Rock is something to look at.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I am not sure about the manual frame safety, but TFBTV just reviewed the new Ruger and compared it to the Sig 365, the Hellcat, and the new M & P, and some of those 10 shot micro nines had frame safeties.

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    Springfield Hellcat OSP with manual safety if you are looking for ultra compact sizing might be a good fit for you since you mention the grip length.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    M18 or SIG P320 depending on whether you want the manual safety or not.

Good luck finding what you want in today's market.

Be safe.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If you can get a Sig p365 or p365xl with a safety (I think the XL offers one), I’d go that route. You might like the size of the XL better anyway. I’m not a Sig fan, but I love the P365. Just don’t buy a used one. Make sure it is a current production version. There were some initial problems that have since been corrected. The XL version didn’t have any problems, as it was introduced a couple of years later.

You could go with the new Smith and Wesson Shield Plus. It’s new, but from what I understand, all the internals are the same (no grip safety though). They had new magazines designed to fit 10/13 rounds. The Shield itself is very proven. Assuming the mags are reliable, it should’ve GTG. The version with the thumb safety should be out soon.

The new Ruger is getting excellent reviews, but I’d wait for any potential initial kinks to show themselves and be fixed.

Can we talk you out of a manual safety?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    9mm
    polymer frame
    manual safety
    NOT a glock.

Try https://www.kahr.com/

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    FN FNP9 is an option as well. I believe CZ makes a poly framed compact version of the 75b

For an external safety on a compact CZ 75, you would need to go with the p-01 Omega. It allows you to switch between decocker and safety. It is an alloy frame though, not polymer.
    A bit heavier than a polymer pistol but also much nicer.
    28.1oz v. 24.8 for a G19
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-ω-convertible-omega/

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    9mm
    polymer frame
    manual safety
    NOT a glock.

Sounds like you already got rid of the G43. I actually extended 2 mags with Strike Industries +2 extensions.
    I like it much better. People buying new today can choose a G43x which is basically a grip extended to +3.
    Now that that is out of the way, you did say no Glocks. Most smaller firearms designed for concealed carry are likely to have the same issue with grip length that you singled out as a problem. I am particularly found of my handguns in the XD line. I have 2 XDs's (1 in 45, 1 in 9mm) that I often carry with factory+2 mags. They are, to me, generally comfortable and nice shooting guns for smaller carry type handguns. I also have 2 XDM. 1 in 45, 1 in 9mm...for range work and around the home defense. Mine are the 5.25' competition models, but there are 3.8 to 4.5" models of the standard XD and also the XDM if you prefer the possibility of higher cap mags. Even my competition models are somewhat lighter than my 1911s. The 3.8 to 4.5" models should be lighter yet. None of these XD models have an external safety, but all have a grip safety requiring you to have a proper grip on the firearm for it to fire. Some people don't like them, but to me, you can't fire any firearm accurately without a proper grip and, as an old 1911 shooter, I find it natural and not a problem.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Here's a Sweetie. Springfield EMP 9
    26 oz., ambi safeties, 9+1, BUT not polymer frame.

Attachments

• emp.GIF
      emp.GIF
      14.8 KB · Views: 227

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sounds like you already got rid of the G43. I actually extended 2 mags with Strike Industries +2 extensions.
    I like it much better. People buying new today can choose a G43x which is basically a grip extended to +3.
    Now that that is out of the way, you did say no Glocks. Most smaller firearms designed for concealed carry are likely to have the same issue with grip length that you singled out as a problem. I am particularly found of my handguns in the XD line. I have 2 XDs's (1 in 45, 1 in 9mm) that I often carry with factory+2 mags. They are, to me, generally comfortable and nice shooting guns for smaller carry type handguns. I also have 2 XDM. 1 in 45, 1 in 9mm...for range work and around the home defense. Mine are the 5.25' competition models, but there are 3.8 to 4.5" models of the standard XD and also the XDM if you prefer the possibility of higher cap mags. Even my competition models are somewhat lighter than my 1911s. The 3.8 to 4.5" models should be lighter yet. None of these XD models have an external safety, but all have a grip safety requiring you to have a proper grip on the firearm for it to fire. Some people don't like them, but to me, you can't fire any firearm accurately without a proper grip and, as an old 1911 shooter, I find it natural and not a problem.

^^^^^^
    XDM Compact .45; short flush mags or higher cap extended mags. With the flush mag it's close in size of a G19 which is my next suggestion:):):)

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    You have to try CZ.
    The 75B, or P-01 are steel guns.
    The P-10 comes in Compact and Full size.
    The P-09 also comes in full size.

All of the above firearms are extremely reliable and accurate.

Good luck.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    Sig 365XL just picked one up 2 weeks ago and it's a shooter!

They are coming out with the 356X soon. It has the frame size of the XL and barrel length of the 365

Ruger Max 9 looks interesting too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom