• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Looking to add one of these calibers to my collection and was wondering if anyone loads for these or any of the WSM cartridges . Possible hunting and target applications . Look forward to anyone's insight's

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Ive been gathering stuff to start reloading and data collecting on a reington 700 in 300 wsm I have. I plan to use it as a bean field deer rifle to shoot 400+ and hopefully get enought data to touch 600 when needed.

Comparing the two I cant help with that. Sorry

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Bill, I load for a 270 WSM which is an awesome deer rifle. There is no 338 WSM that I know off except for a wildcat 338 based on the 325 WSM. Both the 300 and 325 WSMs are over kill for deer IMO. I think the reason Win went with an 8mm over a 338 was the long heavy 338 bullets might encroach too much on the powder capacity and also the 338 Win Mag is well entrenched and would be hard to beat. I shoot a 338 Ruger Compact Magnum which is a 308 length case with near 338 Win Mag ballistics with 185 gr bullets and anything much heavier has the same issue of intruding on the powder capacity. The WSM cases can be tricky to find an accurate load but once you do they shoot well. I'd recommend the 270 WSM if you have your heart set on a WSM.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Long term I’ve been kind of considering the same question. I want something 300wsm sized and roughly same recoil. 325wsm has limited bullet selections compared to a .338” diameter.

I just come back to 300wsm is probably just the way to go for me. It’ll work with the 30 caliber suppressor I am getting. And that is not a small consideration and 30 caliber anything is good enough for deer at any range I can competently shoot. Even on elk or moose almost all 30 calibers are okay and a 180 or 200gr bonded .308” from a 300wsm should be just fine for either animal at reasonable distance and I never plan to hunt dangerous game.

But I’d still like something >.308 some day. Just can’t find a way to justify it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The .300 WSM has had my interest for some time, now.

I bought a Remington 700 in .300 SAUM a couple of years ago (maybe 3 or 4, can't remember).

Got a decent deal on it.
    Didn't know the cartridge was obsolete, when I bought it.
    I've considered having the chamber reamed to .300 WSM, but haven't acted on it.

Both the .300 SAUM and WSM are kinda/sorta halfway in between .30-'06 and .300 WinMag, for velocity and energy.
    100 fps more than the '06. About the same less than WinMag.

I was watching "Life Below Zero" a while back, and one of the guys on the show, has a .325 WSM, and shot a moose at close to 100 yards, (handloaded ammo!) and the moose dropped where it stood (in a marsh).

That cartridge impresses the heck outta me.
    Started looking at that, and the .325 WSM is actually an 8mm bullet (.323")

In this day/time, that .300 SAUM may just stay that way.
    I've got plenty of brass (all new) and 10 pieces of once-fired.
    I've got plenty of 165, 168, and 190 gr bullets, too.
    The difference(s) between the SAUM and WSM (to me) is basically marketing, like Beta vs. VHS.

Before I start looking at the grass from the muddy side, I may get it re-chambered to the WSM.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Getting ready to load for 300wsm for an elk rifle that is on it's way to me now. I will likely shoot for a 168gr boolit I think at this point. I have a few boxes of Berger 168's that will likely be my starting point. I have a few different factory rounds I can test with, but I will likely have to hand load for this fall hunt with how things are right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom