• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I picked up a bunch. Can they be reloaded as .223?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, 5.56mm is essentially he same the casings are thicker on 5.56mm brass so make sure to reduce your load

Generally true and .223 loads are generally lighter by nature, but yes, always work up when developing supersonic reloads.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes, 5.56mm is essentially he same the casings are thicker on 5.56mm brass so make sure to reduce your load

This REALLY true?
    I know with all the different cases I have when I set up my more accurate loads I use the same cases, but for plinking steel, I mix them up (loads are comfortably below max pressure).

I have in front of me LC and MM brass that is stamped 5.56. They are 96gr and the thickness at the neck is .001" thinner than the perfecta that is 102gr
    GFL stamped 223 is 101gr neck slightly thicker than LC
    Geco stamped 223 is 102gr neck slightly thicker than LC

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    This REALLY true?
    I know with all the different cases I have when I set up my more accurate loads I use the same cases, but for plinking steel, I mix them up (loads are comfortably below max pressure).

I have in front of me LC and MM brass that is stamped 5.56. They are 96gr and the thickness at the neck is .001" thinner than the perfecta that is 102gr

I don't think it is universally true.

Take the 300blackout brass conversion list, the NATO 5.56 are the preferred brass because so many other headstamps are too thick to create a 30cal neck with.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Don't forget to have fun removing the military primer crimp, so you don't deform your primers when seating them. No wasting primers (like gold) now!!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This REALLY true?

No. Not universally true.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88599

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Don't forget to have fun removing the military primer crimp, so you don't deform your primers when seating them. No wasting primers (like gold) now!!!

I've had no problems removing any of the primers. I do use the RCBS case machine to make the primer hole bigger after taking the primers out.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    This REALLY true?

It's not really true at all. LC tends to have one of the higher case capacities. Can't really go off of weight. PMP is the one to look out for. It has some seriously reduced capacity. Some Lapua. I think there's an old and new style Lapua with different capacities.

It's more true of 308 Win v. 7.62x51. I think that's why people keep repeating this wrong info about 5.56 being thicker than 223.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    It's not really true at all. LC tends to have one of the higher case capacities. Can't really go off of weight. PMP is the one to look out for. It has some seriously reduced capacity. Some Lapua. I think there's an old and new style Lapua with different capacities.

It's more true of 308 Win v. 7.62x51. I think that's why people keep repeating this wrong info about 5.56 being thicker than 223.

True 7.62 vs. 308 military has less case capacity
    30.06 military has less
    given 5.56 LC has more in most cases.
    If you would compare different years of commerical brass capacities it would be
    interesting and some "TW" headstamp 5.56
    People get confused and get so wrapped up as it applies to "all" military brass
    Also on a side note it depends who manufactures the brass as some "farm it out"
    It may have their headstamp but is was made by someone else.
    Also some reading here....
    by unclenick on Shootersforum
    https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/223-5-56-loading-data.94411/page-2#post-2254447

and..
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/x-ray-spectrometry-of-cartridge-brass/

5.56 case cap.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom