• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I was interested in purchasing the rifle and my FFL wasn't sure if it was legal to transfer, so I submitted a request to MDSP. What else was I supposed to do? Their reasoning is flawed because the parts are not interchangeable with an AK47. I am going to respond to them and let them know that.

Please don't...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While I'm not familiar with the rifle the OP is talking about, there are rifles on the list that shouldn't be. MSP has said in the past that the list is not legally binding and that it's up to the individual FFL. To the OP, find a different FFL and stop asking the MSP questions.
    Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    While I'm not familiar with the rifle the OP is talking about, there are rifles on the list that shouldn't be. MSP has said in the past that the list is not legally binding and that it's up to the individual FFL. To the OP, find a different FFL and stop asking the MSP questions.
    Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=183835&highlight=mr556

We have begun receiving replies to some of our MPIA requests. Of first importance in this letter, MSP identifies that the MSP Firearms Search page is non-binding on dealers and consumers, it is simply guidance.

Lots more in that letter with more on the way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxu54uhgznwfpew/Siegel PIA request clarification.pdf?dl=0

I encourage everyone to read the pdf in that dropbox link.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was interested in purchasing the rifle and my FFL wasn't sure if it was legal to transfer, so I submitted a request to MDSP. What else was I supposed to do? Their reasoning is flawed because the parts are not interchangeable with an AK47. I am going to respond to them and let them know that.

How exactly do you plan to PROVE the rifles are not interchangeable? Absent proof, your reponse is worth less than the paper its written on.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The MSP originally banned the HK MR556, believing it to be a "copy" of the AR15.
    Information was provided to them showing otherwise. They revised their view of it and have them listed as "not banned".

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... They revised their view of it and have them listed as "not banned".

So when are they going to un-ban HBARs that happen to be marked "Bushmaster," which sold cash and carry until 10/1/13?

Someone should ask them if a flintlock musket is banned.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Lol find a different FFL instead of writing another letter that screws everyone.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!

You need to STOP communicating with MDSP directly. You're hurting the community with your irresponsible inquiries.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I try to keep up with the MD madness as much as I can. This decision definitely sucks. ARs with 7.62x39 uppers on any pre or post law lower are still gtg right? I ty to make sure my rifles are MD compliant because I still have family in MD that I shoot with but it's hard to keep up with the insanity.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You need to STOP communicating with MDSP directly. You're hurting the community with your irresponsible inquiries.

It’s not fair to single out a member of the community like this for doing what others have successfully done in getting firearms recognized as not banned. Read the pdf from Nate a few posts up.

Edit: Also, take a look at MSP’s firearms search and you’ll see other guns that were reconsidered. Of course everyone should do as much due dilliegence before engaging and only pick a fight they know they can win, but freedom is freedom. We can’t prevent people from asking questions.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    It’s not fair to single out a member of the community like this for doing what others have successfully done in getting firearms recognized as not banned.

I kind of sympathize with the OP. FFLs don't seem to want to ask MSP probably not worth their time if someone is asking about a gun they are not selling. Not all of the firearms now recognized were submitted by FFLs.
    But I understand what everyone is saying. What we need is a avenue to submit firearms that we want instead of "I am not sure"

Feb 28, 2013
    MSP admits their opinions don't necessarily make the gun banned. Your FFL should do that.

I was just about to go there.

Duffy’s ain’t got no problem sellin’ C308s, fer example. THEY at least know the parts won’t swap out.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    It’s not fair to single out a member of the community like this for doing what others have successfully done in getting firearms recognized as not banned. Read the pdf from Nate a few posts up.

Edit: Also, take a look at MSP’s firearms search and you’ll see other guns that were reconsidered. Of course everyone should do as much due dilliegence before engaging and only pick a fight they know they can win, but freedom is freedom. We can’t prevent people from asking questions.

One problem, the majority of the firearms that MSP initially considered "banned" were overturned by major FFL's in Maryland, not individuals. Specifically Engage and Duffy's, to name a couple. If an individual is going to interact with MSP directly concerning firearms legality matters, then they better have a lawyer and\or a stack of facts\research to support their claims. Otherwise DON'T DO IT!

Look... haphazardly asking MSP about firearm legality has never ended well. That being said, I'm all for a strategic effort in questioning anything MSP portrays as "banned" or illegal under the current statute.

My point; to be clear, concise, and damn near perfect when arguing whether a particular firearm is legal in MD, and have the facts to back it up from the beginning.

This is the unfortunate reality we live in.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    One problem, the majority of the firearms that MSP initially considered "banned" were overturned by major FFL's in Maryland, not individuals. Specifically Engage and Duffy's, to name a couple. If an individual is going to interact with MSP directly concerning firearms legality matters, then they better have a lawyer and\or a stack of facts\research to support their claims. Otherwise DON'T DO IT!

Look... haphazardly asking MSP about firearm legality has never ended well. That being said, I'm all for a strategic effort in questioning anything MSP portrays as "banned" or illegal under the current statute.

My point; to be clear, concise, and damn near perfect when arguing whether a particular firearm is legal in MD, and have the facts to back it up from the beginning.

This is the unfortunate reality we live in.

Agreed, leave it to the guys that know the process.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Who was the FFL who started all of this? I'd like to know why he thought the rifle was banned when they've been sold all over the state.

Who was the FFL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom