• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    What is the procedure to legally own an SBR and cost? Thanks for any input.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have been looking to do this too. If you just want to buy an SBR then, I THINK, like a suppressor, you go to the store buy the item, fill out paperwork (picture and prints) pay your $200 tax stamp and wait. They keep the item until approval.

I think a better way would be to buy a complete lower and take it to a FFL, fill out paperwork (picture and prints) pay your $200 tax stamp and wait but still have the lower in your possession. Once approved then go buy an upper to compliment it. If you have time and inclination you can build the whole thing and have the lower serialized and registered with the ATF. Much more of a pain in the butt in my opinion.

I haven't done this but it appears that is what most ATF veterans on here do.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have been looking to do this too. If you just want to buy an SBR then, I THINK, like a suppressor, you go to the store buy the item, fill out paperwork (picture and prints) pay your $200 tax stamp and wait. They keep the item until approval.

I think a better way would be to buy a complete lower and take it to a FFL, fill out paperwork (picture and prints) pay your $200 tax stamp and wait but still have the lower in your possession. Once approved then go buy an upper to compliment it. If you have time and inclination you can build the whole thing and have the lower serialized and registered with the ATF. Much more of a pain in the butt in my opinion.

Alternatively you could buy an AR-Pistol and then do the same paper work to make in an SBR. That way you would have something you can shoot while you wait to get the ok to slap a stock on it. I am no lawyer but be careful about having a short barrel without a legal pistol or SBR to put it on because you can get nailed for constructive intent even if you never actually assemble the thing. Again I am not a lawyer.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Alternatively you could buy an AR-Pistol and then do the same paper work to make in an SBR. That way you would have something you can shoot while you wait to get the ok to slap a stock on it. I am no lawyer but be careful about having a short barrel without a legal pistol or SBR to put it on because you can get nailed for constructive intent even if you never actually assemble the thing. Again I am not a lawyer.

The pistol configuration also allows you to travel with it as you can with any other pistol. SBRs require you to send in notification if you're traveling across state lines.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    The pistol configuration also allows you to travel with it as you can with any other pistol. SBRs require you to send in notification if you're traveling across state lines.

But, once you get the blessings from the crown making your pistol an sbr you must travel with it as an sbr correct? Or can you just take the stock off and travel with it as a pistol?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What is the procedure to legally own an SBR and cost? Thanks for any input.

There are a couple of ways to do it, and it's easier than it might seem at first.

Basically.

Close, but not exactly. You don't have to use a dealer if you're making your own.

Quick summary:

There are two ways (for a normal person, not going in to special cases here) to get NFA items (I'll talk about SBRs and suppressors here). You can either buy one from someone else, or you can make your own. If you buy a complete one, you do a "Form 4" which is the authorization for transfer of an NFA item. If you make your own, you do a "Form 1" which is the authorization to make an NFA item.

For both SBRs and suppressors, a Form 1 and a Form 4 are both a $200 tax stamp, so the process costs the same.

For doing a Form 4, you find someone to buy the thing from. If they are in MD, you just fill out and file a Form 4 to transfer the item from them to you (you can do it "private" if you're buying used from a normal person, or more normally you buy new from an FFL). You pay the tax, submit the form, and wait for ATF. All form 4's are currently paper only. Once ATF does their voodoo, the stamp is sent to the seller, who transfers the item and the approved form to you. Currently this takes 8-ish months, roughly. If you buy from the internet, you can tack another couple of weeks on there for shipping and for the Form 3 (paperwork to transfer the item from whoever you bought it from to an FFL in your state) to clear. No extra tax cost though - Form 3s are free and are handled by the dealers.

For doing a Form 1, you figure out what you want to make, (and here's the big difference) you electronically submit the Form 1 and pay the tax via credit card on the ATF website, and within a couple of weeks you get a PDF of your approved F1. At that point AND ONLY AT THAT POINT you can go buy all your parts and make your thing. (There are very specific technicalities around what you're allowed to have in your possession without an approved F1 that I'm not going to go in to here.)

Specifically for an SBR: These are SO easy and so quick right now. You e-file a Form 1 for an AR lower that you already own. Once you get it back approved in a few weeks, go buy a short upper and put it on there. Done.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    But, once you get the blessings from the crown making your pistol an sbr you must travel with it as an sbr correct? Or can you just take the stock off and travel with it as a pistol?

You can take the stock off and make it in to a pistol as long as you DON'T travel with the stock also. Then it's just like any other normal pistol. Just don't also take the stock with you.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

You can take the stock off and make it in to a pistol as long as you DON'T travel with the stock also. Then it's just like any other normal pistol. Just don't also take the stock with you.

As long as it didn't start out as a rifle. If it was a pistol first, you can go to rifle, back to pistol. If you bought it as a rifle, you cannot convert it into a pistol. Weird rule I know but that's what the crown says.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    As long as it didn't start out as a rifle. If it was a pistol first, you can go to rifle, back to pistol. If you bought it as a rifle, you cannot convert it into a pistol. Weird rule I know but that's what the crown says.

Yeah, you're totally right. I left that part out.

Golden rule is "Rifle first, rifle forever. Pistol first, do whatever."

So get a stripped lower. File your Form 1. While you're waiting on it, build it into a pistol. When the Form 1 comes back, buy a stock and put it on. Then in the future if you don't want to file a 5320.20 to take the SBR to another state, just take the stock off and leave it at home and travel with it as a pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or still further , keep stock on , add 16in bbl .

But at this point, we need to politely inquire of the OP, what flavors of SBR are you interested ? There is somewhat of an assumption around here of being AR derived ,but the possibilities are wide and varied , and then there is the Maryland 29in thing to deal with or not deal with .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What is the preferred method for obtaining prints and pics for a Form 1?

I've done a few F1s in my day, all before the need of prints and picks. I assume the forms are pretty similar with the exception of the new 'slot' for P&P uploading. Any tips for doing that?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    SilencerShop will have their electronic Form 1 service online soon. You can do it that way, or if you e-File right with ATF you send in the prints on paper after the e-File.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    SilencerShop will have their electronic Form 1 service online soon. You can do it that way, or if you e-File right with ATF you send in the prints on paper after the e-File.

Is that why it says, "out of stock?"

I have a photo and prints on file with them so it would be easy.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yes. It's because ATF originally told them to do it one way, and then once people started submitting them, ATF started rejecting them and told SS that they wanted one particular check box handled differently. So SS is holding off on putting the service back in until after the shutdown when ATF can get their junk together and decide on an acceptable way to get them done.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    What is the preferred method for obtaining prints and pics for a Form 1?

I've done a few F1s in my day, all before the need of prints and picks. I assume the forms are pretty similar with the exception of the new 'slot' for P&P uploading. Any tips for doing that?

I ordered the fingerprint cards from the ATF website (free), ordered an ink pad from amazon and rolled my own. As for the pictures, I had my wife take them on my cell phone. Make sure there is nothing behind you. I had her do it with a white wall behind me. I then cropped them to mimic a passport picture.
    Uploaded the pics and sent in the fingerprint cards along with the submission form.

Link to fingerprint cards: (make sure to order more than you need. I used a few to practice)

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

Link to ink pad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043GF5H0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I ordered the fingerprint cards from the ATF website (free), ordered an ink pad from amazon and rolled my own. As for the pictures, I had my wife take them on my cell phone. Make sure there is nothing behind you. I had her do it with a white wall behind me. I then cropped them to mimic a passport picture.
    Uploaded the pics and sent in the fingerprint cards along with the submission form.

Link to fingerprint cards: (make sure to order more than you need. I used a few to practice)

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

Link to ink pad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043GF5H0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks rouchna!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom