• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom12345

MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2021
    Frederick County, MD
    Draw Weight

Went to the range yesterday to do a little bow practice with my Damon Howatt 55 lb recurve no issues drawing. Set up to shoot my Hoyt Ultra tec set at 60 Lb and couldn't pull back to save my life!!!! Made several attempts and nothing,it was like the left arm was weak and right shoulder had some pain. I tried with my glove I use for my recurve and managed to draw back but didn't feel right. I guess it's a trip to the Dr's. this sucks.

Turn the screws on the base of the limbs down one turn at a time, equally say 2-4 turns and you will have your answer..... it will lighten your draw. Each turn is roughly 2 pounds...... Cant hurt to try. I also have a sore shoulder from shooting my entire life. Just have to get used to lesser draw weight or pay the price of a damaged shoulder.
    Luck,
    Tom12345

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Getting old sucks (it's not for the faint of heart)I ended up switching to a crossbow due to my shoulder issues (old Army injury). Splits bolts at anything under 30 yds. :)

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I had the same problem few years ago - I couldnt event draw and I was pretty fit.

Cant remember which store I went to, one of the salesman said:
    "Either you need to go to the gym more often or I can lower draw weight down little bit"

Screw gym, I took the easy way out ( lesser draw weight )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had the same problem few years ago - I couldnt event draw and I was pretty fit.

Cant remember which store I went to, one of the salesman said:
    "Either you need to go to the gym more often or I can lower draw weight down little bit"

Screw gym, I took the easy way out ( lesser draw weight )

I've watched a lot of people draw bows through the years. I can honestly say 3/4 of them are drawing too much weight.
    It's like the old gun adage, it's not the caliber, it's the ability to place the bullet where it's needed.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've watched a lot of people draw bows through the years. I can honestly say 3/4 of them are drawing too much weight.
    It's like the old gun adage, it's not the caliber, it's the ability to place the bullet where it's needed.

****Yes. This. Many people are trying to pull way too much draw weight without proper conditioning. They hurt themselves and then end up making it worse by trying to use compensatory muscles and improper movement patterns to make up for the lack of strength and injury and make things worse.

Lots of people are hung up on using too much draw weight and would do better to practice more at a lower weight and work on grouping and consistency.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    This kind of time-off is why I have 2 sets of limbs for my recurve. 35lb for spring through mid-summer and 42lb for late summer through the fall. I don't shoot much after October, so I always start more slowly and retune my form and strength in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I got a Luoyer draw weight scale off Amazon for about $15. I have a couple compounds I want to lower the weight on due to the age thing. I’m thinking I can maybe increase as I build up strength after not shooting the last couple months. It’s fairly accurate, I weighed a 20 lb. dumbbell and it showed 20.4 lb.

Attachments

• B16A3F25-E14D-49CF-8748-F27FC0923C45.jpg
      B16A3F25-E14D-49CF-8748-F27FC0923C45.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads