• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being as I am a Maryland resident, I was wondering if it would be legal to switch out the upper on an AR 15 SBR'd lower(5.56 10.5" barrel in this case) for a .22lr upper that is shorter. I know that rim fire SBRs don't require the over 29" OAL. I was just wondering if they can be interchangeable.

Thanks.

ETA The swap will only be temporary. The original center fire upper will be maintained and continue to reside on the lower when the .22 is not in use.

Last edited:

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As I recall, yes, as long as you can swap it back to the registered configuration.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. It has to be readily changed to its original configuration. An upper swap is fine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes. It has to be readily changed to its original configuration. An upper swap is fine.

I should have added(and maybe I will), this swap will not be a permanent one. I will be keeping the original center fire upper. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm assuming you can't put a lower on which would take it under 29" though?

If I'm reading your question right, the .22 upper will change the over all length to less than 29". However, rim fire SBRs can be under 29" OAL in Md.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If I'm reading your question right, the .22 upper will change the over all length to less than 29". However, rim fire SBRs can be under 29" OAL in Md.

Gray area. Nothing defined in MD law. Federal law doesn’t care.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you are asking if you put an upper that is less than 29 on a non NFA lower, then NO, don't do it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been following nationalguntrusts guidance and using their form generator for NFA stuff, seems to line up with my NFA rule books. For TEMPORARY swaps READILY AVAILABLE back to the F1/4 config, no problem, provided the original upper is with you. For PERMANENT swaps to a new SINGLE configuration, you are required to notify the ATF in writing, they will change your record and send a signed copy back. I have sent letters asking them to ADD ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATIONS to the NFA reccord, listing out several pistol/NFA uppers that I "could" use, and have gotten reply letters back to confirm the additions. With this I DON'T NEED THE ORIGINAL UPPER, just any upper on the list. I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble with a lawful SBR with another upper on it, but from a practical standpoint, if I travel with one on a form 20, or an ATF agent happens to be at the range, I can show the form 1/4 and additional config letter to show i'm 100% legal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been following nationalguntrusts guidance and using their form generator for NFA stuff, seems to line up with my NFA rule books. For TEMPORARY swaps READILY AVAILABLE back to the F1/4 config, no problem, provided the original upper is with you. For PERMANENT swaps to a new SINGLE configuration, you are required to notify the ATF in writing, they will change your record and send a signed copy back. I have sent letters asking them to ADD ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATIONS to the NFA reccord, listing out several pistol/NFA uppers that I "could" use, and have gotten reply letters back to confirm the additions. With this I DON'T NEED THE ORIGINAL UPPER, just any upper on the list. I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble with a lawful SBR with another upper on it, but from a practical standpoint, if I travel with one on a form 20, or an ATF agent happens to be at the range, I can show the form 1/4 and additional config letter to show i'm 100% legal.

This goes along with everything I've read on the subject, but it's been some time since I've dabbled into NFA. My other concern was going shorter(though temporarily) in Merryland.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Gray area. Nothing defined in MD law. Federal law doesn’t care.

Thanks doc. I know Md doesn't have a minimum length for rim fire as well as bolt guns and single shot guns in NFA.
    My only concern was temporarily swapping out the shorter upper on a Md legal SBR lower. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom