• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Many hours of pruning and weeding today, I'd been neglecting it for too long. Also pulled the first cluster of ripe cherry tomatoes. My son ate them all before I could takes a picture.

Attachments

• 0B33068A-2A78-4116-9881-26EB06926A2E.jpg
      0B33068A-2A78-4116-9881-26EB06926A2E.jpg
      143.6 KB · Views: 170
    • 0926DAB2-A052-4FC8-AEE0-90A2E2501CC1.jpg
      0926DAB2-A052-4FC8-AEE0-90A2E2501CC1.jpg
      167.6 KB · Views: 167

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Nice work Now start making some BLTs

Funny you mention blt. Every summer the wife and I always try to decide what to make with real tomatoes when they are available at rode side stand. Usually comes down to shrimp salad, soft crab, crab cake, or blt sandwich. This year it was blt. They where delicious. As far as my mater "harvest" , sliced s&p and enjoyed

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Many hours of pruning and weeding today, I'd been neglecting it for too long. Also pulled the first cluster of ripe cherry tomatoes. My son ate them all before I could takes a picture.

Dude you're making my 4x8 half planted raised bed look lame

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Where did you get real sized tomato cages? Growing up all we had were the cages the size of an oil drum and they worked great because tomatoes get huge. Now all I can find are the stupid 4 foot cone ones that my plants outgrow and droop.over by the end of June. Then it's back to staking and twine.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Dude you're making my 4x8 half planted raised bed look lame

Definitely not lame. Last year my wife and I had our first real garden in a small raised bed, about the size of yours, that was on the property when we bought it. We were just kinda winging it but still had some luck. This year we made a real dedication to learning how to grow food for ourselves. We started planning over the winter and started to build the plot in early March. We started everything from seed in March too. It's wonderful to start enjoying the literal fruits of our labor.

Ive been trying to encourage friends and coworkers to start growing, even just a pot on the deck. I've found it to be a worthwhile pursuit.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Where did you get real sized tomato cages? Growing up all we had were the cages the size of an oil drum and they worked great because tomatoes get huge. Now all I can find are the stupid 4 foot cone ones that my plants outgrow and droop.over by the end of June. Then it's back to staking and twine.

The cages I made with 16' livestock panels. Each cage is a single panel cut in half to make two 8'x5' sheets. Each half is folded at a 90 degree angle, then each half is stomoed into the ground opposing each other to make a square around the plant. Once in place, we zip tied the edges together.

I've just let them grow with occasional heavy prunings to combat disease and shade. The cherry is currently 6' tall.

Attachments

• 2CE46E35-34FA-42BC-A6A9-81C72822C74B.jpg
      2CE46E35-34FA-42BC-A6A9-81C72822C74B.jpg
      143.5 KB · Views: 150

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    The tomato tsunami has begun. Mostly cherries and grape tomatoes but the big ones are not far behind.

Attachments

• 98BF5D18-43C9-4061-A788-BA7E3D909475.jpg
      98BF5D18-43C9-4061-A788-BA7E3D909475.jpg
      93.6 KB · Views: 133

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    The tomato tsunami has begun. Mostly cherries and grape tomatoes but the big ones are not far behind.

That is gourgeous!!!
    Ours are still green.
    To answer the question above, if I was blessed with such harvest, I would can most of them — we are still eating our home-made tomato sauce and salsa from last summer, and it just tastes better to me than the store-bought stuff, more flavor and less salt.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am waiting on the amish paste tomatoes to start rolling in. I put 48 plants in and got 47 growing for me and the neighbors. I got a juicer attachment for the LEM 12 grinder and we are going to make sauce and salsa from them. Might get way too many and will give them away or feed tot eh chickens.

Also waiting to see if a paste tomato is better than a beef steak on a sandwich. Smaller pieces but not all the juice running down your forearms.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Finally getting control of our bottom rot in the tomatoes. Getting some good ones although still a few baddies in the mix. Nothing like fresh picked tomatoes.

We have monster zucchini. Kinda tired of eating it as we have it with almost every meal.

Something is eating my peppers.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    It is a weird year here, I think the colder early summer messed stuff up.

My peppers are growing better than normal, Getting good peppers in July and some years I have had to wait until September almost. Tomatoes are fine just a bit slower than normal.
    Zucchini came up and just did not grow, then started to grow slowly and the squash bugs are killing them off before we get a single one. This usually grows like a weed and tries to take over the garden before the bugs kill it finally
    Cucumbers just don;t seem to want to sprout. Two plantings and I do not have half a crop on my cattle panels. The kids are all upset as pickles is one of our favorite things.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Have harvested 5 maters so far. Got blossom rot on a couple green ones. Gonna try a few things tomorrow to hopefully remedy that

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We've been getting cucumber squash and zucchini for a couple weeks now. First patch of pumpkins are almost ready. Watermelon are getting big but still have a few weeks left to ripen I think. Peas died out maybe from the heat we had? Loaded with tomatoes but all are still green. Hemp is really starting to explode multiple plants are 3ft tall already.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_070917.jpg
      IMG_20210730_070917.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 137

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Have harvested 5 maters so far. Got blossom rot on a couple green ones. Gonna try a few things tomorrow to hopefully remedy that

I have gotten a few as well. On the beefsteak plants, I have been getting the rot. What do you do about it?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    My squash are done but gave us a lot. Trying a second planting of some fast maturing variety.

Tomatoes are going nuts after the nice consistent ripening a week ago. Going to get the canning stuff ready.

I normally stick to few variety of tomato I like, but I tried a couple super beefsteak or something for fun. Picked a 1.6lb tomato This week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    I have gotten a few as well. On the beefsteak plants, I have been getting the rot. What do you do about it?

So everything I've read lack of calcium is the cause. In my case the bed was way too dry and plants were not able to uptake any. I think anyway. I also sprayed leaves with 1 tab of tums and a gallon of h2o mixed which was possibly a waste of time

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom