• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    what does one do when they need a new letter for their records for lets say a toddler ate the old one. :innocent0

You don't need the letter. MSP knows you have the DC and knows who you are.

All you need to do it check the box on the form. But ONLY do this if you have been approved for the letter.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Why don't you buy 2 handguns and wait the 60 days required til you can buy another one. Apply for the DC status immediately, and you will likely get the letter within the 60 days, but at least you'll have 2 guns while you wait.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another option would depend on how cooperative the executor of the estate is regarding the dispostion of the firearms. Long gun sales are also controlled by law in MD now as well.

The executor could hold on to the firearms almost indefinitely. Some estates take decades to resolve.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    JUST APPLY FOR THE DC LETTER.

If needed, have one of them transferred now, get the letter (takes a couple of weeks) and you can get the others.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Look at that, you're hearing from me again! I'm new to the gun collecting idea but I already own several so I'm not necessarily new to guns.

Does anyone know if I apply for the designated collector status if I will be rejected for not previously purchasing a registered firearm? As stated in my original post, I already possess an HQL and have no other disqualifications for the status.

I appreciate all the help and hope to continue onwards and upwards with my collection.

The introduction forum isn't just for new gun owners but also for new posters (like yourself) to MDS.

With that said, If you already have a regulated firearm on your transfer record, you should be fine.

GDM

Jan 11, 2009
    North Potomac
    You don't need the letter. MSP knows you have the DC and knows who you are.

All you need to do it check the box on the form. But ONLY do this if you have been approved for the letter.

If you want a copy, you can send email to MSP. I did this last month and Master Sgt. Bradley was very helpful, quick to respond.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Wait a minute....the transfer of a regulated long gun weapon out of the estate to a non immediate family member is not going to happen....for a friend....the normal procedure of paperwork wait, then the one every 30 days rule for handguns. Normal rifle/shotgun is a normal transfer process no matter whom typical 4473 form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom