• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    PSA and TLDR: Always check your powder measure throws. Had an instance where powder left in a powder measure dispensing low/no powder after being left in the hopper for less than 48 hours (yes i checked it was open).

I've been hearing mixed opinions about leaving powder in the powder measure. In my case, I usually drain the powder measure after each use when I don't plan on using it in the next 48 hours. My reloading bench is in a humidity controlled environment and up until this incident, I've had no incidences with other powders except for titegroup (this is the exception; this powder likes to stain and stick everywhere)

I had a situation that makes me re-think my approach. I left powder (shooters world blackout, D063) in the hopper as I planned to get back into loading more x39 on my progressive. When I got back into it 2 days later, I "seasoned" and measured the powder measure drops, per my SOP, and caught intermittent and even no powder throws from 5-8 cases. I drained the powder measure back in the jug and didn't see any clumps or anything out of the ordinary. I then shook the jug and replaced the powder back in the powder measure, and it starts throwing normal again.

I was lucky to catch this, otherwise, I will have a couple of squibs in the batch...did the powder clump from the humidity? Aside from that, I'll be keeping an eye on my lee auto drum from now on, maybe even start using a powder cop die.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hodgdon has acknowledged that certain of their powders can attack and can etch powder hoppers made with certain types of plastic, in some cases in as little as 12 hours.

The other risk with leaving powder in hoppers can be remembering with certainty just exactly what powder is in there. Sometimes, an intended day away, turns into perhaps a week or more.

For me anyway, these are 2 good reasons to empty a hopper after each loading session.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i would think that it is humidity related , my ac runs on and off all day and into the night this time of year . a steady stream of water off the condenser when running .

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Hodgdon has acknowledged that certain of their powders can attack and can etch powder hoppers made with certain types of plastic, in some cases in as little as 12 hours.

The other risk with leaving powder in hoppers can be remembering with certainty just exactly what powder is in there. Sometimes, an intended day away, turns into perhaps a week or more.

For me anyway, these are 2 good reasons to empty a hopper after each loading session.

The second reason is alleviated by having only one powder jug out on the bench or atleast next to press it is associated to, but I am definitely set on putting back powder in the jug after each reloading session. I also learned the importance of that rule when I accidentally put trailboss back in a jug of titegroup :facepalm: Luckily, trailboss powder is a bulky donut type grain compared to the small flaky TG powder and was able to separate it with a sift.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The second reason is alleviated by having only one powder jug out on the bench or atleast next to press it is associated to, but I am definitely set on putting back powder in the jug after each reloading session. I also learned the importance of that rule when I accidentally put trailboss back in a jug of titegroup :facepalm: Luckily, trailboss powder is a bulky donut type grain compared to the small flaky TG powder and was able to separate it with a sift.

I have been reloading for many years and that said back in the day sometimes humidity could be an issue depending where your set up is and type of powder as noted. Also, powder manufactures do provide their appropriate storage requirements.

To alleviate leaving excess powder to set in hopper I just pre measure what is needed. If you are loading 50 rounds and say you need 38 grains per round you would need 1900 grains of powder to to the job. Also, I just add an extra 38 grains to the 1900 needed in the hopper. This will also tell you how accurate your dispenser is when loading. Simple effective and makes clean up easy. Proper planning and proper execution makes the day go well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have been reloading for many years and that said back in the day sometimes humidity could be an issue depending where your set up is and type of powder as noted. Also, powder manufactures do provide their appropriate storage requirements.

To alleviate leaving excess powder to set in hopper I just pre measure what is needed. If you are loading 50 rounds and say you need 38 grains per round you would need 1900 grains of powder to to the job. Also, I just add an extra 38 grains to the 1900 needed in the hopper. This will also tell you how accurate your dispenser is when loading. Simple effective and makes clean up easy. Proper planning and proper execution makes the day go well.

Thanks Harrys. Practical application of lessons learned and operating experience.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's definitely a good habit to get into. I've been guilty in the past of leaving powder in the hopper, and spending enough time away that I didn't fully remember what the powder was. The good news there is that I am meticulous about recording what I reload as soon as it's done, so I could always go back to my ledger and see what powder I'd last used.

Since then I picked up the Entirely Crimson products that allow for a quick-release of the powder hopper from my Dillon 550, and at this point I make a point to empty the hopper when I'm done for the day. It's so easy to pull off of the press now that I have no excuse for not doing it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This has happened to me. Had some Titegroup bridge a month or two back and not drop. Smacking the measure a few times fixed the issue, but there was definitely some pucker factor when I saw it happen. Taught me to empty out my Dillon's finished case container after every session. :)

TBH, draining out the hopper is PROBABLY a good idea, but let's not forget that it also introduces the possibility of refilling it with the wrong stuff.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This has happened to me. Had some Titegroup bridge a month or two back and not drop. Smacking the measure a few times fixed the issue, but there was definitely some pucker factor when I saw it happen. Taught me to empty out my Dillon's finished case container after every session. :)

TBH, draining out the hopper is PROBABLY a good idea, but let's not forget that it also introduces the possibility of refilling it with the wrong stuff.
    I think if I was only loading one or two calibers with one or two powders, I'd leave it in there, but I tend to bounce around a bit. A little 9mm here, some 45 ACP there, a bit of .357 or .38 here, some 44 mag there....

I haven't noticed powder etching any of my hoppers though, although I'm aware that it can supposedly happen. I must not be using the powders that are the prime offenders.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think if I was only loading one or two calibers with one or two powders, I'd leave it in there, but I tend to bounce around a bit. A little 9mm here, some 45 ACP there, a bit of .357 or .38 here, some 44 mag there....
    That's exactly it. My 650 is a 9mm machine. I set it up for 9mm, and it has loaded literally nothing else for almost two years. I never use anything but TG, so the only thing I put in is TG. :)

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I was religious about emptying out my hopper, but just to test this I left smokeless powder out in 65 degree/65% humidity for three months…no change in weight. Mind you, this was single base, so a nitroglycerin powder might be more hygroscopic.

OCD still compels me to empty the hopper every time.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's exactly it. My 650 is a 9mm machine. I set it up for 9mm, and it has loaded literally nothing else for almost two years. I never use anything but TG, so the only thing I put in is TG. :)
    I acquired some TG during the shortage because I was out of 231 and that was an available option, but have not yet used it. Some guys seem to swear by it, others say that it burns too hot, burns the ends of the brass, and that they don't get great accuracy out of it, particularly for 45 ACP.

Bullseye was my go-to powder for 45 for a good long bit, but I loaded a bunch of W231 until I ran out, I tried a little bit of Longshot, and I loaded some HD loads with Power Pistol.

If not for 45, I suppose I could always use the TG for 9mm and 38 spc - it seems to review well for those.

Sorry for the derail. Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion about emptying the hopper. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I acquired some TG during the shortage because I was out of 231 and that was an available option, but have not yet used it. Some guys seem to swear by it, others say that it burns too hot, burns the ends of the brass, and that they don't get great accuracy out of it, particularly for 45 ACP.
    I use literally whatever for 45ACP these days. For the moment, that's Unique. When I run through the Unique, it'll be the random pound of Bullseye I have lying around. I am sure there are dudes shooting bullseye who find that to be heresy, but I don't have super strict accuracy requirements.

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I use literally whatever for 45ACP these days. For the moment, that's Unique. When I run through the Unique, it'll be the random pound of Bullseye I have lying around. I am sure there are dudes shooting bullseye who find that to be heresy, but I don't have super strict accuracy requirements.

I also use various MFGs for loading 45/70, .500 S&W, 30/30 and 40 S&W. MFGs powders types make a difference in accuracy and distance.

On new powders I have not used before I start with min load and work up until I get the best pattern at 100 yards. Also, I mark my bags with the powder MFG, grains, projectile grains along with the drop/rise at 100 yds. until I get the formula right.

On powders I have used for years I have standard loads which make 100 yards real consistent and groups are about 1 inch on a good day. I do not use scopes just iron sites and have some loads set to 200 yards which is about the furthest I have been able to hit a 12 inch paper plate. Typically I would not take a shot that far unless I was using a rest or stick. I have used the military sling rest with mixed results coffee in the morning does not help.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For my stand alone measure and Chargemaster, I empty after every session.

For my Dillon, I have been known to leave powder in the measure. Sometimes for a while. But I load the same powder for that caliber every time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tend to leave powder in my Dillon tubes(only the one that is on my machine at the time), by most people's standards, maybe too long. I always have a silica pack in them and before I (re)start a session, I stir the remaining powder in the hopper and then I'll dump and weigh on a beam scale, 6-7 loads before I start my session.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I leave powder in many times (usually not much..), but learned my lesson with TG, no mo! and... I use a post it note and a rubber band around the measure to ensure I know what's in it (and the trickler.. don't forget that! (yes, once had to dump a bunch of mixed rounds... good thing I don't seat them one at a time.. lol)). I also ensure that only one container is ever at the reloading bench area, the one that I poured the powder into the measure from. I do have an environmentally controlled loading room. I also use an old school RCBS Uniflow powder measure and a trickler.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I leave powder in many times (usually not much..), but learned my lesson with TG, no mo! and... I use a post it note and a rubber band around the measure to ensure I know what's in it (and the trickler.. don't forget that! (yes, once had to dump a bunch of mixed rounds... good thing I don't seat them one at a time.. lol)). I also ensure that only one container is ever at the reloading bench area, the one that I poured the powder into the measure from. I do have an environmentally controlled loading room. I also use an old school RCBS Uniflow powder measure and a trickler.

The "one container at the loading bench" is the key for me too.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I never leave powder in the hopper even if I'm going to load again the next day. I always have the original container next to the hopper and the unused powder goes back in the container when I'm done. Can't go wrong doing this I've been doing it too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom