• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    My permit is expiring soon. I called MSP because i an in the 90 time frame. I asked if it expires before renewal would it be a subsequent ( need prints) or renewal (no prints needed) was told still a renewal.

I then said i know if it takes 90 days then i would just be with out a permit and unable to carry until i receive mine back. He said as long as they have it 15 days prior there is no problem.

Anyone else hear such a thing?

Nobody

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was told similar but not having it in writing bugs me. Someone told me the other day of you get stopped they’ll call to see if you application is in progress and will be ok. I don’t believe it and still waiting for my renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    As long as you send in a renewal prior to 2 weeks, you are good. It is written somewhere, but as you

know, MSP will interpret as needed. I trust MSP.. Please don't wait to renew 2 weeks prior!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Seems like with electronic payment processing they’ve gotten to almost exactly 60-65 day processing start to finish, 90 day mark should leave enough of a buffer to be fine.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My permit is expiring soon. I called MSP because i an in the 90 time frame. I asked if it expires before renewal would it be a subsequent ( need prints) or renewal (no prints needed) was told still a renewal.

I then said i know if it takes 90 days then i would just be with out a permit and unable to carry until i receive mine back. He said as long as they have it 15 days prior there is no problem.

Anyone else hear such a thing?

Nobody

That has been the case sine 2013, when they lost a case against them when a W&C holder submitted a renewal and was carrying on his old permit. He was charged with carrying without a permit. The court found that so long as he had a renewal pending and it did not come back denied, his old permit was still valid.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was told similar but not having it in writing bugs me. Someone told me the other day of you get stopped they’ll call to see if you application is in progress and will be ok. I don’t believe it and still waiting for my renewal.

No need to worry about it, they have been consistent at honoring permits that are "expired" but in process of being renewed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    As long as you send in a renewal prior to 2 weeks, you are good. It is written somewhere, but as you

know, MSP will interpret as needed. I trust MSP.. Please don't wait to renew 2 weeks prior!

Not written ion any statute, but a court decision against them had them change their process.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    From the FAQ on the page referenced below:

If my handgun permit should expire before I receive my renewed handgun permit card, can I still carry a handgun?

​As long as the renewal application has been received at the Handgun Permit Section at least two (2) weeks prior to the expiration date of the current handgun permit, you are still allowed to carry on the expired permit until you receive your renewed permit. If the application is returned to you for incompleteness and you resubmit it after the two (2) weeks, you will not be allowed to carry your handgun.​

It's written but I don't know where this interpretation above come from in Maryland statute.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

I plan to submit 90 days out. I don't want to carry on an "expired" but not expired permit.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I was planning on it but life got in the way. I have had 4 close friends due in the last couple of weeks and time just got away from me. Supporting friends is just slightly more important than the permit

Nobody

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Seems super messy the way they are doing it (no surprise). Not every LE in MD is going to call the "gun center" and if they do, it may likely be post arrest/seizure of the property.

Seems like they are putting a lot of faith in an officer taking an extra step and contacting them.

Wangbadan

Big Wang
    Jul 15, 2021
    I was planning on it but life got in the way. I have had 4 close friends due in the last couple of weeks and time just got away from me. Supporting friends is just slightly more important than the permit

Nobody

Agreed, guns are fun and all but it’s important to maintain your relationships

-big Wang

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Seems super messy the way they are doing it (no surprise). Not every LE in MD is going to call the "gun center" and if they do, it may likely be post arrest/seizure of the property.

Seems like they are putting a lot of faith in an officer taking an extra step and contacting them.

I'm not sure it's considered an "extra step," per se. The permit (well, mine anyway!) says right on it, just under the expiration date, "PLEASE CONTACT MARYLAND GUN CENTER PRIOR TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT ACTION."

That's pretty straight forward.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm not sure it's considered an "extra step," per se. The permit (well, mine anyway!) says right on it, just under the expiration date, "PLEASE CONTACT MARYLAND GUN CENTER PRIOR TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT ACTION."

That's pretty straight forward.

There's zero requirement for an officer to do that. The officer can likely establish probable cause (at least in their mind) based of the expired permit. Which can lead to arrest and/or seizure of the firearm.

What MSP *wants* and what an officer on the street might do, are entirely two different things.

Do I believe most officers would....100%. Can I see a situation where they would not? Yes I can. That is why I say MSP is not handling this correctly.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    From the FAQ on the page referenced below:

If my handgun permit should expire before I receive my renewed handgun permit card, can I still carry a handgun?

​As long as the renewal application has been received at the Handgun Permit Section at least two (2) weeks prior to the expiration date of the current handgun permit, you are still allowed to carry on the expired permit until you receive your renewed permit. If the application is returned to you for incompleteness and you resubmit it after the two (2) weeks, you will not be allowed to carry your handgun.​

It's written but I don't know where this interpretation above come from in Maryland statute.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

I plan to submit 90 days out. I don't want to carry on an "expired" but not expired permit.

There is no interpretation in Maryland State Statute. The wording comes from them losing a lawsuit against them.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    FYI my renewal came eight weeks to the day door to door. Status on the portal was updated sometime in the last two weeks.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I sent mine in late -- before the 90 day window. I think I sent it at 60 days. I called them, they told me it was no problem, that it is still a renewal and as long as they at least have the app a few weeks before it would be okay. They also said I could continue to carry on that permit after it expires as long as the renewal application was in and accepted in time, even if they hadn't made a decision on renewal yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom