• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Have you considered a canoe for duck hunting? I used to sneak boat the upper Potomac all the time in my canoe. I'd carry a few deaks sometimes and throw them out in a choice spot.

Sneak boating for ducks is just about my favorite type of hunting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you intend to fish Loch Raven, Liberty and/or Prettyboy Reserviors, you'll be asked to attest in writing to having a dedicated boat to do it. The desire is to keep zebra mussels (that could potentially be picked up from other bodies of water) out of the city reserviors.

I'm not sure of the regs at other Maryland area reserviors, but this requirement is definitely something to be aware of.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    No matter what you get please for the love of God have some lights on when getting set up and you are out there before sunrise in navigable waters.

Nearly ran over guys out there in the dark who don't have any lights on.

Radar doesn't always pick up low profile Jon boats (especially around a bunch of crab pot floats) and 50 foot boats don't have brakes.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    No matter what you get please for the love of God have some lights on when getting set up and you are out there before sunrise in navigable waters.

Radar doesn't always pick low profile Jon boats and 50 foot boats don't have brakes.

Indeed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Radar doesn't always pick low profile Jon boats and 50 foot boats don't have brakes.

Thought you were going to suggest I have flotation devices.

People are on the water at night without having lights on. Maybe they were smuggling drugs and wanted to be undetectable. Only reason I can see for running on the water at night without lights on. Might be some other reasons, like stupidity or something, but they are slipping my mind right now.

danimalw

Ultimate Member

Fabs, here's a few pics.

The pic taken at night in the driveway was when I first got it and the blind done. Version 1 (northern flight blind) Since we hunt off center with the starboard side to our backs, I built the blind higher on that side. I thought it looked good, what I learned was open top was bad and it stood out in marsh early season.

Sorry for the cherry tree in the one pic, with blind v1 in grass next to boat.

Also depending on what blind you buy or make, might have to get creative with the frame. I had to cut the rear crossbar and drop it down so the mud motor would swing into boat for traveling.

V2 of the blind, I added the roof (after spray painting the black fabric.). Then we make up the grass stakes (bamboo garden stakes with ornamental grass bundles tied to them. We used about 18 stakes around the bow and port side, stuck down in the mud, creating a slip for the boat. 2 1x2's for spud poles in the mud to tie to, made for easy exit to retrieve birds. Then for the last bit of concealment, more grass bundles tied and tied together like a mat and rolled out on the roof after we set up. (Tied ends of that to ea end of the blind roof, so if we flipped up roof while retrieving birds with crab net, we wouldn't lose the extra grass.)

There's a few pics in driveway showing the general idea of the blind with added grass. And yes, boat blind and grass goes down into water, but the grass was dry and I didn't want to force it and crack it for that picture, when I took it.

We were way more successful after adding roof and additional grass.

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_172102579.jpg
      IMG_20171214_172102579.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_20171214_163644606.jpg
      IMG_20171214_163644606.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_20171214_163630751.jpg
      IMG_20171214_163630751.jpg
      120.2 KB · Views: 101
    • IMG_20171129_100844280.jpg
      IMG_20171129_100844280.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 95
    • IMG_20180930_115556577_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20180930_115556577_HDR.jpg
      153.9 KB · Views: 101
    • IMG_20180930_153916488_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20180930_153916488_HDR.jpg
      148.5 KB · Views: 102
    • IMG_20180930_153921662.jpg
      IMG_20180930_153921662.jpg
      107.4 KB · Views: 104
    • 16320918130542743531958908516920.jpg
      16320918130542743531958908516920.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 94

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

People are on the water at night without having lights on. Maybe they were smuggling drugs and wanted to be undetectable. Only reason I can see for running on the water at night without lights on. Might be some other reasons, like stupidity or something, but they are slipping my mind right now.

I doubt they are smuggling drugs sitting in a dark laydown boat, surround by decoys, in camo, with shotguns, in front of Deale just before sunrise...lol

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    We had a Lowe 16' Olympic Mod V-Bow barge, er..... jon boat for many years. It was something like 83" at it widest. Powered by an older 18 hp. Johnson outboard. We had a 16' Beall plywood skiff that we sold and kept the trailer and outboard.

Go to boat for..

1. Flounder Fishing in the back bays downey oshun hon.

2. Perching and Crabbing in the Severn.

3. Goose hunting blind access on the creeks of the Eastern Shore. Never really hunted from it, but it got us there and back in some pretty impressive weather.

Funny story.....transom on the Lowe was tall!!!! Motor was cavitating pretty bad. Dad was going to cut the transom to lower the motor. The Johnson was old at the time and finding a long shaft kit was deemed impossible by him. Second placed I called, an older outboard shop on Edmondson Ave., ......,"hold on." After holding about 5 minutes, "Yeah, I've got one!!!" It wasn't very expensive, and he installed it free. Dad had him tune it up, and replace the water pump, while he had the lower off, thing ran great when we got it back.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Look at the weight capacity on the transom for the primary guide during selection and keep it light as possible unless you want to always put over at a ramp.
    When your putting over at a ramp, you often have to go farther to stay away from other people.
    Around here, a small boat and light motor is good because you can back the trailer right over from the side of the road in many places to put over.
    A 25-35 shallow water drive Johnson or Evinrude 2 stroke used to be right around 110 lbs + the weight of the boat and the fuel. Consider the weight of the motor.
    The little cockpit for non tiller steer takes up room, reduces weight capacity and can be a tripping hazard going back and forth and so on but is nice for speeding around on still water nights and good for lights but they have a battery which adds some additional weight.
    Riveted boats are known for being able to flex rather than crack, fiberglass boats are easy to fix but heavy.
    We have a Sea Ark with 50 hp 4 stroke motor and its great for fishing/crabbing but too heavy and long for maneuvering around in a gut. But,because it's long you don't have to get the truck too far over the side of the road but because the motors heavy, you have to make sure you don't swamp it backing it over. Same thing for landing it if you want to get out and walk around.
    Other than that, don't shoot a hole in the bottom of the boat is all I know or let your hippers fill up with water.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I doubt they are smuggling drugs sitting in a dark laydown boat, surround by decoys, in camo, with shotguns, in front of Deale just before sunrise...lol

Well then, I understand their predicament. Putting a light out there for safety or scare the ducks away. Decisions, decisions, decisions. The shooting hours of 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset is what causes this conundrum. Get your ducks or get run over by a boat. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    20’ flat bottom boat is as close as you can get to a 1 boat solution. I have a 19’ Carolina skiff and it’s a perfect 4-6 person crab and fish boat. It would also do well as a hunting platform. I have been on the lower Potomac and patuxent when the wind is up and never felt unsafe.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And a good friend died when there was more of him , than the weight rating of his new to him jon boat .

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville

Happens all the time, anchored fishing the patuxent around bar closing time. Hear the motor coming closer, people talking then hear the motor passing and getting further away no lights in sight.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Since I was 5 years old, I was all about cycling, hunting, and shooting. I used to dream about all of them a lot as a child. Did some fishing here and there as a child, but never caught anything. So, I never got too excited about fishing. That changed when I met a friend in law school. Hilarious story behind that one, but I will not put you to sleep with it. He showed me how to fish and get fish on the hook, including some big fish, and that was all it took. He also introduced me to waterfowling. Now, I have added fishing to my list of hobbies. Can't go riding with my dad, so I take him hunting, fishing, and shooting with my kids.

If the cycling gods cannot understand, then smite away lol

I've been ok just shooting paper and run N gun, but a friend from the 90's is coming back to Maryland and is looking for a duck hunting buddy. Says he has a boat, is all I know. It's why you saw me the the hunting safety course thread you started from sometime 2-3 months ago and here, too. Maybe see you among the decoys...:rolleyes:

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I purchased the boat that was on our lease that we lost at the end of last season. So now I am a new boat owner and have been trying to read through and understand the laws about hunting public waters from a boat. I live in Kingsville so if anyone has any advice or has hunted public water and no longer has a boat and wants to hunt, send me a message. It seems very complicated and it would be great to hunt with someone who has experience on these waters. I have a 12 and an 8 year old who love to hunt, fish and crab.

I have a 1648 Alumacraft and I think a 16ft boat is a pretty good do all boat. It is well used and can use a little paint but I love it. I have the old boat blind that came with it and I am bending that into shape and just ordered some new parts from Avery. I am thinking 3 guys is about right for this boat. It only has a 9.9HP Mercury so with 3 guys, a couple dozen dekes, dog and gear we are not covering a lot of water quickly!

Since I got the boat in July I added Transducer Mounted Garmin, Bilge, 50Lb Thrust Minn Kota, Working on Light and boat blind now and acquiring more dekes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I purchased the boat that was on our lease that we lost at the end of last season. So now I am a new boat owner and have been trying to read through and understand the laws about hunting public waters from a boat. I live in Kingsville so if anyone has any advice or has hunted public water and no longer has a boat and wants to hunt, send me a message. It seems very complicated and it would be great to hunt with someone who has experience on these waters. I have a 12 and an 8 year old who love to hunt, fish and crab.

I have a 1648 Alumacraft and I think a 16ft boat is a pretty good do all boat. It is well used and can use a little paint but I love it. I have the old boat blind that came with it and I am bending that into shape and just ordered some new parts from Avery. I am thinking 3 guys is about right for this boat. It only has a 9.9HP Mercury so with 3 guys, a couple dozen dekes, dog and gear we are not covering a lot of water quickly!

Since I got the boat in July I added Transducer Mounted Garmin, Bilge, 50Lb Thrust Minn Kota, Working on Light and boat blind now and acquiring more dekes.

It is like we are in the same boat, pun intended.

I have a 12 and 8 year old and they both come hunting with me. The 8 year old has never hunted from a blind before, so she is bugging me to go goose hunting this year. They both like fishing and cycling too.

I have been hunting the vast majority of my life, but only hunted ducks from a boat once around Elliott Island in the marsh. We headed out in the marsh at 2:00 am to make sure we got out there before everybody. It was so dark I had no idea how the guy I was hunting with knew where to go. We put out the decoys, anchored the boat further away, and then walked in the marsh to where the decoys were. Pretty sure there is no marsh like that around here.

I'll agree with you that the thought of hunting from a boat is somewhat daunting. Where to hunt. How to get there. How to set the decoys up. How to set the boat up before even putting it in the water. Plenty more questions where those came from.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads