• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Old School Punchline - Do you think I could trade two $25k Hi Points for one ?

Modern take - They are totally f'ing brilliant !

Off the bat , they aren't about the guns as guns . They are all about modern era Branding and Social Media Influence .

Go back 15-20 years when TV was still a thing . You had a slew of reality shows about custom motorcycle builders . Were traditional long time cycle enthusiasts spending $50-80k at Orange County Choppers ? Nah

They were using the then hot platform of cable tv to promote themselves as cultural phenomenon , and create a new market of buyers with little to no background with cycles to spend $$$ on flashy " totally custom " product , and were sucuessful enough to spur a plethora of similar shows and builders .

More or less same thing early 2010's with Reality Gunsmiths ( until Will Hayden got busted as Serial Child Molester )

We're laughing about this " $50k Custom AR " , but from their view , they just got high profile Product Placement from a guy with 20 MILLION followers . No legit firearms manufacturers have ever gotten 1/10 of that reach with any advertising . And most of those were virgin territory with a recieving audience with little or no exposure to traditional firearms Mfgs , or retailers .

Is this a Bad Thing ?

1. Capitalism Baby !
    2. 20 million millienals and gen z just recieved a message that " MSR are cool " rather than " Ick ! Guns are Evil " .

******************\\

Disclaimer in above references - Wild West Guns was totally legit high quality builder , with actually worthwhile inovations , with pre existing good reputation among real gun people . To the point they made boring reality tv for non- shooting mainstream viewers from lack of drama .

No doubt it's great marketing. Any publicity is good publicity.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Went in to take a look around. The wanted my info but I declined and they did not argue. Let me look at a few items and chat a bit. They have a membership requirement to shop there but, it is free. Prices were a LOT higher than I expected. They had some nice stuff. Saw some empty shelves so I suspect they are still getting inventory in. Nice and clean place with decent selection but, the way high prices kept me from buying anything.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Old School Punchline - Do you think I could trade two $25k Hi Points for one ?

Modern take - They are totally f'ing brilliant !

Off the bat , they aren't about the guns as guns . They are all about modern era Branding and Social Media Influence .

Go back 15-20 years when TV was still a thing . You had a slew of reality shows about custom motorcycle builders . Were traditional long time cycle enthusiasts spending $50-80k at Orange County Choppers ? Nah

They were using the then hot platform of cable tv to promote themselves as cultural phenomenon , and create a new market of buyers with little to no background with cycles to spend $$$ on flashy " totally custom " product , and were sucuessful enough to spur a plethora of similar shows and builders .

More or less same thing early 2010's with Reality Gunsmiths ( until Will Hayden got busted as Serial Child Molester )

We're laughing about this " $50k Custom AR " , but from their view , they just got high profile Product Placement from a guy with 20 MILLION followers . No legit firearms manufacturers have ever gotten 1/10 of that reach with any advertising . And most of those were virgin territory with a recieving audience with little or no exposure to traditional firearms Mfgs , or retailers .

Is this a Bad Thing ?

1. Capitalism Baby !
    2. 20 million millienals and gen z just recieved a message that " MSR are cool " rather than " Ick ! Guns are Evil " .

******************\\

Disclaimer in above references - Wild West Guns was totally legit high quality builder , with actually worthwhile inovations , with pre existing good reputation among real gun people . To the point they made boring reality tv for non- shooting mainstream viewers from lack of drama .

Nice analysis and critique--

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Went in to take a look around. The wanted my info but I declined and they did not argue. Let me look at a few items and chat a bit. They have a membership requirement to shop there but, it is free. Prices were a LOT higher than I expected. They had some nice stuff. Saw some empty shelves so I suspect they are still getting inventory in. Nice and clean place with decent selection but, the way high prices kept me from buying anything.

Sounds like a Texas club card. I did a 2 week job for DOD in Killeen and I think I went home with 4-5 club cards.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I visited the shop the other day and they have alot of inventory. Shop was too dark for my eyes to see prices and didn't ask to see anything closer.
    They now do training, heard a radio commercial on WMAL during Marc Levin.
    Lifeline Personal Protection.
    "Train like your life depends on it"
    www.lifelinepp.com

Sirex