• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    Decided to forgo the red dots and shoot irons. I don't know if it's just because I haven't in a while but shooting irons with a helmet and electronic ears is far more difficult than I thought. I was also using the large aperture at 18 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbG6aqdjw6Q

Attachments

• 20210921_155628.jpg
      20210921_155628.jpg
      128.9 KB · Views: 610

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm an Eotech guy. I can be so much faster and more accurate with it. But you guys are correct it's not the tool it's me. with slowing my shots and practice I may be able to improve my groups to quarter size and not paper plate size.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not sure what the helmet is for.

Why not sign up for an Appleseed? Get some fundamentals before blowing a lot of ammo on those drills.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The large aperture is not intended to be used for accuracy. It is used for targets at short distance for faster acquisition. Looks like you killed 'em all.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    At 18 yards, you could point shoot a rifle much more accurately than that.

If this was a post looking for advice, I'd recommend some in-person fundamental technique lessons.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm an Eotech guy. I can be so much faster and more accurate with it. But you guys are correct it's not the tool it's me. with slowing my shots and practice I may be able to improve my groups to quarter size and not paper plate size.

Shoot accurately first. The speed will come.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Without immediate POI care and surgical skittles they're all pretty much gonna meet their maker---mission accomplished.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I benched the rifle probably a year and a half ago. I don't think I'm jerking the trigger it just my sight picture is not great. And the helmet.............well I spend an incredible amount of time watching Lucas Botkin from Trex Arms.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I benched the rifle probably a year and a half ago. I don't think I'm jerking the trigger it just my sight picture is not great. And the helmet.............well I spend an incredible amount of time watching Lucas Botkin from Trex Arms.

Lol I respect the honesty.

But I’d rather have a chest rig and no helmet than a helmet with no chest rig.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Any time you change your loadout (from holo/rds/scope to irons or back) you will be slower until you practice. Shooting with holo/rds is fundamentally different than irons. Irons, you focus on the front sight. rds, you focus on the target. It takes time/practice/drills to adjust. You cannot just jump from irons to carry optics on a pistol for example and expect to be faster (or the reverse). You need to do drills to burn in the muscle memory with either platform. Of course when you go back you also may need to re-adjust.

If you are faster and more accurate with an Eotech, I say just send it with the Eotech. Depends on your use case for irons sights. The reason to use irons imo is that batteries or the optic could crap out. Mine has crapped out in the middle of a stage. I used my backup irons and still finished. If the optic craps in the middle of SHTF, you need a backup sighting system. But really, its plan B or C.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    #1 all those hits will get the job done
    #2 snuggling in behind the irons with big ear muffs on is quite difficult, so its quite possible you weren't getting a consistent sight picture

Irons are quite accurate, and I enjoy the opportunity to use them when I can. My issued rifle has a red dot, which is what I would use in the field, so I tend to practice with the red dot and get used to that sight picture. But I've been out to 525 yards with irons (prone) and was pretty happy to bang steel more often than not!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A good way to apply irons is through co-witnessing a red dot. That's, more than likely, gonna be your 'realworld' need for relying on irons. Learn to shoot your irons through your turned off red dot. And, oh yeah, it's gonna be harder.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Decided to forgo the red dots and shoot irons. I don't know if it's just because I haven't in a while but shooting irons with a helmet and electronic ears is far more difficult than I thought. I was also using the large aperture at 18 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbG6aqdjw6Q

AR-15? Shooting during daylight you need to use the small aperture. You should be shooting at 25 yards for a 200 yard zero.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I rarely click links w/o embeded preview ,but from the discussion , this is with a RIFLE ?!? @ 18yd ?

That's not a sites issue , that's a fundamentals issue . @ 18yds with totally slick top rifle with no sights at all , fired from the shoulder , groups should be waay tighter than that .

Yeah , those hits would be fatal , but if your going to carry a rifle , there should be higher expectations than for a pocket size subcompact pistol .

I don't want to be discouraging to the OP . Some Appleseed/ NRA Basic Rifle/ BSA Rifle Shooting Merit Badge/ Hunter Safety/ coaching from moderately experienced mentor/ etc , and you'll soon be shooting much better .

Perhaps Bert was thinking of the 50/ 200 rule of thumb with iron sights ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom