• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    Before you say "Use the search button" for some reason my phone will not allow me to use it. Every time I click it the page crashes.

So my question is what is the best budget semi auto out there? Looking for something for the occasional water fowl hunting I do. I've never been one for "name brands", as long as it goes boom everytime I pull the trigger I don't care what name is on the gun. Open to brand new or used. Trying to keep it under $1k, would be happier in the $700 range.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Joe

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Stoeger M3000 . Made in Turkey exact clone of the Benelli . If they didn't have the same corporate parent , Benelli would have sued .

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    Second vote for stoeger m3000. Picked mine up at Dicks sporting goods after watching some reviews on it.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Third, I have the M3500. Bought it as was getting semi serious about hunting and did not want to spend fortune. Been uber reliable and will happily cycle light loads for clays.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Stoeger m3000.

it took about 2 boxes before mine reliably cycled light clays ( the manual says 100- 200)

good after market support for mods. I think there is even a way to put a magpul stock on it lol.

ppl use these for everything from dove to 3 gun.

these go for around $400-600. not a whole lot of value getting a used one, the used ones go for the same price because these don't really wear out.

also shop around. during the pandemic last year shotguns like this were going for absurd prices. the prices for guns are back to normal but apparently some LGS are still trying to rape ppl.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Beretta just discontinued the A300 Outlander - the synthetic models at least. You might look for one of those on closeout.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Just want to add, other options at this price level is a mossburg 930. Its a good gun. IMO the stoeger is a little more reliable, but its a close call.

If you go to the top of your price range you may be able to squeeze into a Beretta A300, a used A400, a used Browning , or a used Benelli. The fit, finish, and balance on these will be night and day vs the M3000.

What I would avoid is a Remington. POS

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Stoeger M3000 . Made in Turkey exact clone of the Benelli . If they didn't have the same corporate parent , Benelli would have sued .

This is from memory so take it with a grain of salt: Beretta (Benelli's parent) was planning to sue Stoeger but, in a stroke of brilliance, saw an excellent business opportunity with an undervalued company that they could buy on the cheap. They realized they'd make a killing selling quality knockoffs of their own shotgun under a different, lower-tiered label at much higher volumes so they just bought Stoeger outright.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Benelli Montefeltro is $999. at Bass Pro if you want to go that high. Otherwise the Stoeger. Might want to check the Winchester SX4 too.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    we have a lightly used 12ga mossberg 930. 28" vented rib barrel. comes with MOD & FULL chokes. takes 2-3/4" & 3" shells. $475 OTD.
    i know its a bit of a drive, but you just might fall in love with it and stay well under $700.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    This is from memory so take it with a grain of salt: Beretta (Benelli's parent) was planning to sue Stoeger but, in a stroke of brilliance, saw an excellent business opportunity with an undervalued company that they could buy on the cheap. They realized they'd make a killing selling quality knockoffs of their own shotgun under a different, lower-tiered label at much higher volumes so they just bought Stoeger outright.

^ this.

M3000 is not a true clone, there are some differences like where the recoil spring is. The fit and finish is not as good either.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    we have a lightly used 12ga mossberg 930. 28" vented rib barrel. comes with MOD & FULL chokes. takes 2-3/4" & 3" shells. $475 OTD.
    i know its a bit of a drive, but you just might fall in love with it and stay well under $700.

Was going to suggest 930, but here you go. Great auto for under &1K.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Beretta A300 Outlander. All black synthetic at Cabelas/Basspro is $679.00. why settle for the imitation when the price differential is minimal. Also the A300 is made in the U.S in TN. I have one and have never had a hiccup or a break-in period.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just want to add, other options at this price level is a mossburg 930. Its a good gun. IMO the stoeger is a little more reliable, but its a close call.

If you go to the top of your price range you may be able to squeeze into a Beretta A300, a used A400, a used Browning , or a used Benelli. The fit, finish, and balance on these will be night and day vs the M3000.

What I would avoid is a Remington. POS

agreed. I have a JM pro 930 for 3 gun, took a little work to run 100%, but it's an inexpensive and soft shooting gun once the bugs are worked out. It's a little bulky for clays, but that makes it nice and controllable for shooting ground targets fast. For clays I have a Beretta AL391, and have used the A300 and A400s, they are the best for the money IMO. It's soft recoiling, extremely reliable, and about as light and sleek as a gas gun gets. The lower end Benellis are sleek and fast, but the recoil is a little sharper than gas guns, and they seem to take a little more time to break in, and have seen a buddies choke with some lighter loads that run fine in my Beretta. The Stoeger is a less refined, less expensive Benelli, but otherwise good for the money. I would try them both, I personally like gas guns far better than inertia, but others like the opposite.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I seen some people recommend the Black Aces Tactical pro line as a good budget level semi auto shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom