• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • workshop777

Feb 11, 2021
    I'm relatively new the the gun world after picking up my P320 last month, but have already been looking around for my next gun.

I purchased mine from GunBroker and had a completely smooth transaction (with the exception of FedEx super slow shipping due to bad weather) and couldn't be happier with my purchase, so I have been poking around there and other places for my next gun.

I saw a Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion 10mm go up for sale at a PA store for instore pickup only, which means us MD guys are not eligible for since we need it sent to an FFL (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

So I started poking around GunBroker for one and of course there is a massive markup over retail for it, but that was to be expected.

What I didnt expect was the amount of fake listings/Scam listings. Here is a link directly to the search results: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion

You will see a lot of sellers that have no rating at all or very poor rating. A lot of listings are using pictures taken from other listings as well. Just real shady stuff.

So being so new, I was curious if this is just the norm. I don't remember seeing anything like this when I was searching for the p320 earlier this year. Wonder if this only really occurs with certain higher priced models...

I reported what I saw and it doesn't look like GunBroker did anything about it at all, which I kinda expected.

Jul 1, 2012
    There's definitely been a huge surge recently.
    As you pointed out they are fairly easy to spot.
    GB is slow to respond, if they do at all.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    I believe you can still go out of state to buy handguns. The seller has to be willing to ship to a MD FFL of your choice. I'm going through this process for the first time right now.

workshop777

Feb 11, 2021
    I believe you can still go out of state to buy handguns. The seller has to be willing to ship to a MD FFL of your choice. I'm going through this process for the first time right now.

Right. This sale said in-store pickup only. With that statement I assumed he wouldn't do that. I guess I could have called to verify.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I offer escrow services for firearms transactions. During the auction, or after I suppose, msg the seller and ask if they will work with your escrow agent. Seller that immediately goes dark is usually a good indicator of a scam. I've been involved in numerous cases where buyers contact me to confirm availability/terms/etc, they go back to the seller with that, and then poof. Anyway, if someone takes you up on the offer to use an escrow agent, let me know and we'll see if I can help out.

BTW, if you win an auction, and even if you don't pay, gun broker still charges the seller the transaction fee. They can go back to GB to complain etc, but good luck dealing with those a**holes. So if the seller refuses to use escrow, and the deal falls through after the auction is over, that's kind of annoying for them. Of course, they could write a negative review about you, but then you could write a negative review about them as well. So prolly best not to start the escrow conversation after winning the auction. Better before bidding, etc.

But yeah, I've seen some auctions for desirable guns, like a Sig MCX in 300 BO, offered by sellers that are "NR" no rating, getting bid up to thousands of dollars. Crazy.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    Right. This sale said in-store pickup only. With that statement I assumed he wouldn't do that. I guess I could have called to verify.

The way I did it was I drove to the gunstore, paid, gave them the address of my FFL and they said they would ship it out. I'm still waiting for it to arrive at the FFL. So I guess it was "in person".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The way I did it was I drove to the gunstore, paid, gave them the address of my FFL and they said they would ship it out. I'm still waiting for it to arrive at the FFL. So I guess it was "in person".

They need a copy of your FFL's FFL.

Did you let your FFL know to send it to the shipping FFL?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Does Gunbroker offer any buyer protection now that they have changed their system recently? I know ebay does to an extent. I was looking at buying something on Gunbroker tonight actually.

workshop777

Feb 11, 2021
    Does Gunbroker offer any buyer protection now that they have changed their system recently? I know ebay does to an extent. I was looking at buying something on Gunbroker tonight actually.

I have no idea. I bought my sig and I bought ammo off there a few times but that was from people who had very good ratings and have been there a while. I dont think I would ever buy from a new person there...

... that sucks when you really think about it because a new seller might join and actually be 100 percent legit, but people wouldnt trust him due to the amount of other unrated scammers/fake listings out there.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That has been the norm for as long as 15 years or so on all auction sites for items in any reasonably expensive category. Guns is just one of the newer categories that they are hitting these days.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    I have no idea. I bought my sig and I bought ammo off there a few times but that was from people who had very good ratings and have been there a while. I dont think I would ever buy from a new person there...

... that sucks when you really think about it because a new seller might join and actually be 100 percent legit, but people wouldnt trust him due to the amount of other unrated scammers/fake listings out there.

Personally I'd pull a page from reddit and post a time stamp of my user name+date next to the gun I'm selling, so at least people know that I do in fact own whatever I am selling

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just a PSA, watch your Gunbroker accounts. Got an automated message that I had changed my account email sometime around midnight, which I didn't. So this morning I logged on to change my password and of course find out that I'm locked out of my own account. Contacted their tech support to get some assistance, but I'm guessing it won't get resolved until Monday. Pisses me off, but what can you do. Watch your accounts and shut down anything that looks odd fast.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Just a PSA, watch your Gunbroker accounts. Got an automated message that I had changed my account email sometime around midnight, which I didn't. So this morning I logged on to change my password and of course find out that I'm locked out of my own account. Contacted their tech support to get some assistance, but I'm guessing it won't get resolved until Monday. Pisses me off, but what can you do. Watch your accounts and shut down anything that looks odd fast.
    Sounds like a password guesser got you? Did you have a strong pw unique to GB?

I have an account or two still lurking out there that have old passwords involved in a breach that I need to change.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    I have purchased numerous guns on Gunbroker.com. I've only had a couple negative experiences. One time after my FFL received a firearm from the seller's FFL he ran the serial number and found that the gun was flagged as reported stolen. The seller promptly refunded my money. Apparently, the seller's FFL was not required to check if the gun was stolen.

Sirex