first post-reaching out to likeminded folk!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Hey guys

First time posting here. I have a lot of experience in handguns and shotguns since my Father and Grandfather got me into the hobby of shooting and self protection. However, I am new to the AR world. I have three stripped lowers on the way with three ghost builds to complete. I have all my parts for complete lowers( yesssss 6 builds total) except....the damn rules here in MD are terrible when it comes to uppers and MD compliant parts. Ive sourced some HBARs but still haven't fully planned those builds yet. Kinda hard to plan a build when parts are so fing scarce...but I can build my pistol ARs!

I have some ideas for my ghost builds....and my other builds so I'll definitely be reaching out to the experts and from what I have read so far, a damn knowledgable group of like minded 2A folks. Im thankful for the past three days(slow day at work) because I was able to read some good stuff about the new AR hobby. I got a lot of questions and looking forward to some responses from the top doggs in this game.

Looking forward to chatting and meeting y'all someday at the range! I'm an open book so ask away if you may. I would welcome comments and what you think I should do with my six builds... :party29:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Welcome!
    You only need to worry about that HBAR business with 223/5.56 AR's
    not with other calibers, AR pistols or SBR's. Building AR's can be addictive, good choice starting out with 6 lowers! LOL!

Oh and stop using the word "Ghost" in reference to your builds. No point in giving the opposition's labels any credence.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Ballistic advantage, Stag Arms, and Criterion all make solid HBAR barrels in 5.56/.223. Criterion is top notch but they’re a bit pricey.

Better to build yourself an upper versus try and find a complete one. If you’re mechanically inclined and have the proper tools it’s not that difficult.

BCM Blem uppers, when in stock, are some of the best uppers you can get for the money (although be prepared for an interference fit). Aero Precision uppers are solid though and more frequently available.

Welcome from Timonium.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome , maybe ?

No such thing as " ghost build " .

Even IF there were , what you describe is not what is incorrectly refered to as such .

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Welcome to MD shooters! It will be interesting to see the variations that your 6 lowers end up being. Have fun with your AR builds!

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    @ rseymorejr you got it, sir. I got lucky with a buddy of mine, he had a milling day at his shop and I got my 80% done up very well. I’m proud of how it looks and how easy it was! Really, we did 7 lowers before changing bits.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

Thanks! I’ll check these out today

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Ballistic advantage, Stag Arms, and Criterion all make solid HBAR barrels in 5.56/.223. Criterion is top notch but they’re a bit pricey.

Better to build yourself an upper versus try and find a complete one. If you’re mechanically inclined and have the proper tools it’s not that difficult.

BCM Blem uppers, when in stock, are some of the best uppers you can get for the money (although be prepared for an interference fit). Aero Precision uppers are solid though and more frequently available.

Welcome from Timonium.

Thanks for this valuable information. I’ve looked these guys up and just wanted more feedback from the group as to if they are crap or reliable barrels. Any folks here have any experience with these companies in relation to HBAR? My apologies of this has been discussed before, I’m still getting used to this forum thing

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Welcome , maybe ?

No such thing as " ghost build " .

Even IF there were , what you describe is not what is incorrectly refered to as such .

I have six builds that I plan on making. I’m leaning toward 4 pistols( multiple barrel lengths) 1 rifle and one SBR. Who said anything about ghouls and ghosts!? It’s September and no where near Halloween

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Welcome to MD shooters! It will be interesting to see the variations that your 6 lowers end up being. Have fun with your AR builds!

Thanks! It took me almost 7 months to source all my lower parts. I got from Anderson, PSA( y’all can make fun of me later) and Primary Arms. I will definitely share the complete builds on here when they are assembled and in working order

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom