• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    My grandson turns seven next month. The gift will be a rifle of some sort.

I’m looking for suggestions for pellet guns, BB guns or maybe even a 22. Something accurate but that a seven year old can handle and operate safely.

Ideas?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Either a Daisy 99 or Cricket (22LR)

BTW, Numrich Arms has (had?) walnut Cricket stocks for only $25!!!!!

I snapped one up as the Cricket I got my 10yoa granddaughter was (is) pink. Alas, she outgrew it before she ever received it or ever had a chance to shoot it (otoh, she LOVES her Robin Egg Blue S&W M&P-15 22LR!!!!)

Attachments

• 2ED2A58C-6AD1-41A9-88EB-6C2E1DBDCD44.jpeg
      2ED2A58C-6AD1-41A9-88EB-6C2E1DBDCD44.jpeg
      40.5 KB · Views: 413
    • 03971AFB-E1DE-41D0-8EB0-92D7108306A2.jpeg
      03971AFB-E1DE-41D0-8EB0-92D7108306A2.jpeg
      17.1 KB · Views: 405

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My grandson turns seven next month. The gift will be a rifle of some sort.

I’m looking for suggestions for pellet guns, BB guns or maybe even a 22. Something accurate but that a seven year old can handle and operate safely.

Ideas?

When I was 6, I was given a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. I was taught the dos and don'ts about using a gun. Taught proper shooting, sight picture, and techniques with out the worry of my parents me doing something stupid. At 8 I got a savage 22/410 as I passed my 2 year probation.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My kids had Airsoft in Elementary and Middle School.
    I set up a shooting gallery in the back yard facing the woods.
    old political signs were the building materials with some aluminum can sheets on the front to make it last and produce "action" or "swing" when hit.
    They were required to leave the orange tip and not paint it.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Airsoft could be a great option if you don't have a place to easily shoot a .22 but I don't think starting a little kid out with full auto would be the best way to build initial skills and safety. Maybe keep it on single shot and dont let them know it has full auto until they are proficient and safe first.

Or i suppose you could get a single shot spring airsoft rifle but then you probably wouldn't be able to fit it as well as if you had an adjustable ar style one.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    My 8 year old daughter.....now almost 10 yikes!!!! Loves her Savage Rascal as shown in this video. I liked it more than the Cricket as the Rascal is cock on closing the bolt and you don't have to manually cock the bolt each time like on the Cricket. She has almost outgrown it but now it is time for my other 8 year old daughter to take over the reins and she plans on camo painting it pink, purple, and silver to which I say "How bout more glitter?" as long as she is having fun that is all that matters. 10 year old I plan on getting a Ruger Rimfire Precision Rifle as an upgrade near Christmas or her birthday in December.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Have a youth model .22 that I bought for my son when he was about that age. We used to go to indoor matches but it wasn't for him. I added a front hand stop and adjustable peep sight to it. Can't remember the brand and I'm not near the safe at the moment. When I can get it out I'll post a picture.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Every kid needs one:

Attachments

• 984A9865-E4A3-42F3-8217-EE0DB805190D.jpeg
      984A9865-E4A3-42F3-8217-EE0DB805190D.jpeg
      32.1 KB · Views: 168

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Smith and Wesson 15/22. Single load it until you're ready for semi auto. The adjustable stock and the ease of switching from irons to optics make it something they can grow with for a long time. The cricket/chipmunk are outgrown quickly and the Rossi doesn't take much longer. I have all three for my kids and the 15/22 is usually the winner.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'd go for one of those Savage target rifles the CMp has under club sales.
    One of them, I think may even be a repeater.
    Probably more than you want to spend but savage mark II FVT
    One can get the CMP ones (Savage Mark II FVT with front and rear aperture sights) through a youth program at a CMP affiliated club for about half the MSRP. We got one for my oldest a few years ago. I don't think that my youngest would be able to handle it until maybe 11/12, and he's above average in size for his age (9). It's a heavier rifle with a longer length of pull. Excellent firearm - very accurate.

Smith and Wesson 15/22. Single load it until you're ready for semi auto. The adjustable stock and the ease of switching from irons to optics make it something they can grow with for a long time. The cricket/chipmunk are outgrown quickly and the Rossi doesn't take much longer. I have all three for my kids and the 15/22 is usually the winner.
    This is a nice suggestion - in fact I was looking at the pistol version of the S&W 15/22 for similar reasons (pic below). The brace is adjustable in length and it's a lighter firearm overall. (And to be clear, I want it for myself, but I'd let him use it when we go to the range )

I had a bunch of 9-yr olds recently shoot an Anschutz MSR RX22 which also has an adjustable stock (and they were cleaning up/shooting really well), but the weight of the gun pretty much puts it on the bench for this age group.
    57407df7796236f4e41159d19aa3794b.jpg
    1b59a7224ef001a06e1fe6c45aaf3910.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My 9-yr old shoots a Chipmunk. He's had it since age 7. He's also had time behind a Cricket at his youth team. They're very similar, although wood stocks seem to be the norm for the Chipmunk. When my kid turns 10, I'll move him up to a CZ Scout.

The Henry Mini Bolt also looks like a nice option for the 10 and under group ...

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/4-youth-hunting-rifles-perfect-for-any-youngster-just-starting-out/

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/

The day my youngest son was born, I bought a Winchester 94 Trapper, in .44 magnum.
    He's never fired it. It sits in my safe.

Even though the following are technically (and legally, at the time) mine, he used a Ruger 10/22 w/ synthetic stock, and when he was six or seven, we were at Frederick Fairgrounds at a gunshow, and he saw a Chipmunk, and said that he'd like to own one, one day.

I bought it, and he shot it until he completely outgrew it, and it too, sits in my safe.

Chipmunk(s) are dandy little rifles. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    We started with the Red Ryder BB gun. It's low velocity, but I like that it is forgiving of mistakes, unlike a .22LR. The stock was a bit long and the solution was the carbine version. I've only seen it at Tractor Supply. You can also shoot a low velocity BB gun in places where you can't shoot a .22

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom