Red Dot recommendations for the Mini-14?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Reposting with a different title -- I guess my last one was too specific to draw attention.

I'd like to mount a red dot sight on my 580 series Mini-14. I'm not interested in replacing the factory wood stock and will be using the Ruger factory rail mounted on the receiver.

I have heard good things about the Vortex SPARC II, but want to know if anyone has any experience with it standing up on a Mini-14. Are there better options? Most of my shooting will be at relatively short range, but my eyes are getting older. I'm aware that the Mini-14 is hard on optics.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What price range are you looking in? <$200, <$500, <$1,000, or $trumpcash?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I broke a scope on my last Mini-14, I'd go with an Aimpoint Pro.

Try putting a .45 buffer on the guide rod, it cushions the 'slam' but still cycles fine. I have had a Redfield Revolution on mine for several yrs and have not even lost zero, much less broke a scope.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'd like to stay under 300 if I can.

Going to a Red Dot because I have not had much luck with scopes, even on bolt guns. Finding the target, holding on it and focusing on it with conventional optics is a pain in the a&& for me. I'm right handed but left eye dominant and shoot rifle with my left eye closed (for pistol I just shift my head over and shoot left eyed). Very nearsighted and wear progressive bifocals. Scopes just don't work for me. On the other hand I've tried out red dot sights, including firing full auto on a SMG, and like how they work for me. I don't need X-Ring accuracy. If I can hit a Coyote-sized target at 50 yards, I will be happy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I broke a scope on my last Mini-14, I'd go with an Aimpoint Pro.

Try putting a .45 buffer on the guide rod, it cushions the 'slam' but still cycles fine. I have had a Redfield Revolution on mine for several yrs and have not even lost zero, much less broke a scope.

Buffer + heavy spring + gas bushing (or adjustable gas block) = clang free bliss.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I've had good luck with a Millet red dot and a UTG quick release scope mount on the Ruger provided rail. I keep both irons and the red dot sighted in. The Millet is a tube style sight, and I've found just one ring will hold everything just fine. Even better, it maintains zero after remounting.

I can hit a 12" target @ 100 yards consistently using this sight. benched, supported, or offhand. Iron sights, much less accuracy. I can't see as well as i used to.

I've had occasional FTEs because of the Ruger rail. It jams on the ejected round and improperly feed the next. It went away when I reduced the gas port bushing.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Fast Fire III with a ruger to weaver base adapter

I like this idea. Either the fastfire or if you want to spend a little less, maybe a Bushnell TRS. One of the Mini's best qualities is that it is light and handy. I found when I had a larger sight on mine it made the rifle a little top heavy, and I ultimately went back to iron sights.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I've had good luck with a Millet red dot and a UTG quick release scope mount on the Ruger provided rail. I keep both irons and the red dot sighted in. The Millet is a tube style sight, and I've found just one ring will hold everything just fine. Even better, it maintains zero after remounting.

I like the idea of not having to use an adapter for the Ruger rail. I don't want to have to raise my head so high that I lose my cheek weld on the stock. The Millets seem reasonably priced -- maybe a bit too reasonable. LOL.

I may need a bit of schooling on the different rails. The Ruger supplied rail I have is 13/16 (or about 21mm) wide with 5mm slots and 10mm between slot centers. This appears to match the listed dimensions for a Picatinny rail? Am I missing something?

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I may need a bit of schooling on the different rails. The Ruger supplied rail I have is 13/16 (or about 21mm) wide with 5mm slots and 10mm between slot centers. This appears to match the listed dimensions for a Picatinny rail? Am I missing something?

Yes, i believe your right.

Depending on the diameter of your scope, it should work .

I got "UTG 1"/2PCs High Pro LE Grade Picatinny QD Rings: 25mm Wide", which worked well for me. It does raise the scope pretty high, but I'm okay with it.

This is the red dot i bought (Millett 1X20 SP-1 3 MOA Dot Red Dot Riflescope (1-Inch Tube)).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ditch the optics. Iron sights only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 482
    Use a factory 30mm ruger scope ring , it fits the aimpoint or vortex strikefire perfect , the only downside to this when it comes time to take the bolt out of the reciever .. Other than that it's a perfect mounting solution for an aimpoint sigjt on a mini-14 with the integeral mounts ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom