• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The DNR statute 10-410c specifically mentions both.

As an example, 4-203 requires a handgun to be in an enclosed case or holster. No such requirement exists for a long gun.

IANAL.

Yup. It would still be perfectly legal to carry an unloaded shotty or rifle in a shotgun rack. Unless you want to make the acquaintance of every pporly trained MDTA cop or deputy across the state probably not a good idea to do so.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yup. It would still be perfectly legal to carry an unloaded shotty or rifle in a shotgun rack. Unless you want to make the acquaintance of every pporly trained MDTA cop or deputy across the state probably not a good idea to do so.

YUP!

We no longer live in Hereford, MD.

Circa 1976.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Not really. If you have a loaded rifle or shotty in your car you are still effed under the DNR statute. You can be on the way to the shop or range and it makes no difference.

Thinking a statute on handguns applies also to rifles without specifically mentioning them. is folly.
    As example, 4-203 requires a handgun to be in an enclosed case or holster. No such requirement exists for a long gun.

You're both missing my point. I will try one more time.
    Man, the written word can be tough sometimes.

I'm not saying that handgun laws apply to long guns. If I'm mistaken please correct me (like I have to ask :)) but The ONLY thing I'm saying is , because of current law, if you want to do something with a rifle and are not sure if legal, if you ask yourself "is this legal with a handgun ?" and the answer is YES, then it's legal to do with a rifle.

If the answer is NO, it doesn't mean it's automatically illegal for a rifle also. It might or might not be but that wasn't my point

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I want something with me if shit ever hit the fan. I thought about a keltec sub 2000 since it's nice and compact. What legal issues would I run into? Ammo would be separate and I could even lock up the gun in a case too.
    The KelTec Sub2k is often my MD car carry choice due to size and convenience. I carry the rifle, folded, and unloaded, but with loaded mags. Just don't drive onto school parking lots or enter federal facilities. If there's a kid in the car, I make sure it's inaccessible to them. KelTec makes a slim, black carry case for the Sub2k such that it's close to the size of a laptop and easily slips in a backpack. The soft cover case will also secure a couple of mags inside.
    The only statute in MD addressing long gun carry is SS 10-410c. The only prohibition is loaded IN or ON a vehicle.No other prohibitions exists, except those that some LE will quote when they detain you. Loaded magazines are not prohibited either.

The statute makes no statement that it only applies when hunting, so it applies all the time.

guess I am some people.

Good luck

IANAL
    Even for subjects that I'm now familiar with, I appreciate your continued contributions to educate the community. We're lucky to have you. Happy Independence Day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rnish

May 24, 2012
    Do not go through Washington DC with a gun, loaded or unloaded. Even unloaded mags can get you in trouble.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Do not go through Washington DC with a gun, loaded or unloaded. Even unloaded mags can get you in trouble.

Think just one cartridge case will land you in hot water. Unless my destination is (IN) DC, which rarely happens, I will travel whatever distance to avoid that ********.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

I'm not saying that handgun laws apply to long guns. If I'm mistaken please correct me (like I have to ask :)) but The ONLY thing I'm saying is , because of current law, if you want to do something with a rifle and are not sure if legal, if you ask yourself "is this legal with a handgun ?" and the answer is YES, then it's legal to do with a rifle.

If the answer is NO, it doesn't mean it's automatically illegal for a rifle also. It might or might not be but that wasn't my point

If that was your only point, I would agree with you. But I will think about exceptions in the meantime. I examine specific laws before I do anything in MD. Making assumptions can cause problems.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Well, according to folks on this site, a defense lawyer will say you premeditated murder.
    And they likely will, all sarcasm aside. If you don't think every social media comment you ever made would be looked at I believe you are mistaken. This is only said to help protect you and others from making comments that could later be used against you.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The only statute in MD addressing long gun carry is SS 10-410c. The only prohibition is loaded IN or ON a vehicle.No other prohibitions exists, except those that some LE will quote when they detain you. Loaded magazines are not prohibited either.

The statute makes no statement that it only applies when hunting, so it applies all the time.

guess I am some people.

Good luck

IANAL

The irony in that, LE is not exempt from that statute either.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Especially for the author, sometimes...
    I'm not saying that handgun laws apply to long guns. The ONLY thing I'm saying is , because of current law, if you want to do something with a rifle and are not sure if legal, if you ask yourself "is this legal with a handgun ?" and the answer is YES, then it's legal to do with a rifle.

I would never make an assumption like that when it comes to my freedom. Never.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep, the one time you're wrong and you become prohibited for life. I like to see it in black and white in a statute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom