• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You'll never get rid of 100% of human odor, but you minimize it to the point that your scent is that left by a human(farmer, wood cutter, etc.) a couple days ago. And yes, a deer's olfactory nerve can differentiate scent freshness that well.

I go the other way, I don't use any cover scent and I hunt the wind period. I use Marabou as a wind detector. I have it on my bow, see the pic, and I can see which way the wind it moving it while hunting. Also one on floss I can pin to a tree in front of me. I check the weather before hunting and pay attention to up hill/downhill air movement.

They will never smell you if the wind is blowing from them to you. I am trying to move from stands to ground hunting. You need several stands to hunt one spot and hunt the wind. For gun I am done and switched to a turkey chair. Its amazing hiding in tall grass and the deer just don't expect anyone to be able to hide there. :D I am building a lean too chair for trees to be able to bow hunt on the ground and maybe a ghillie suit or just hunting the thick stuff.

Attachments

• Bows.jpg
      Bows.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 244

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I go the other way, I don't use any cover scent and I hunt the wind period. I use Marabou as a wind detector. I have it on my bow, see the pic, and I can see which way the wind it moving it while hunting. Also one on floss I can pin to a tree in front of me. I check the weather before hunting and pay attention to up hill/downhill air movement.

They will never smell you if the wind is blowing from them to you. I am trying to move from stands to ground hunting. You need several stands to hunt one spot and hunt the wind. For gun I am done and switched to a turkey chair. Its amazing hiding in tall grass and the deer just don't expect anyone to be able to hide there. :D I am building a lean too chair for trees to be able to bow hunt on the ground and maybe a ghillie suit or just hunting the thick stuff.

That's true deer "hunting". There is nothing more rewarding than spot and stalk hunting. I have done it in the past with good success. It also requires a decent bit of land or it won't take long to run every deer on your parcel off. I used to be one stealth SOB, but age and arthritis have take their toll on me:o.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Uh oh. Looks like Santa made it by...

Come on spring turkey! :D

Attachments

• hecs.jpg
      hecs.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 232

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    That's true deer "hunting". There is nothing more rewarding than spot and stalk hunting. I have done it in the past with good success. It also requires a decent bit of land or it won't take long to run every deer on your parcel off. I used to be one stealth SOB, but age and arthritis have take their toll on me:o.

Spot And Stalk is the method I tried most of this fall. It worked fine before the gun season started then the deer hid at any little noise or if they caught a glimpse of you. It was a very dry fall and the leaf noise made it hard to be quiet around here.

Today's the last day of hunting season for me but it's below zero all day so I'm done for the year.

I've watched the HECS infomercial too. I think it could work as long as you were able to be quiet on the stalk and were upwind.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try it next year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Spot And Stalk is the method I tried most of this fall. It worked fine before the gun season started then the deer hid at any little noise or if they caught a glimpse of you. It was a very dry fall and the leaf noise made it hard to be quiet around here.

Today's the last day of hunting season for me but it's below zero all day so I'm done for the year.

I've watched the HECS infomercial too. I think it could work as long as you were able to be quiet on the stalk and were down wind.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try it next year.

Fixed.

I plan on trying it this spring. We'll see how it goes.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Fixed.

I plan on trying it this spring. We'll see how it goes.

We have a chitload of turkeys where I hunt.

One evening I sat next to a tree in a big ravine and heard the flock up on a hill. They made their way downhill at dusk and walked single file to the other side of the ravine (to roost, I guess). They noticed me when they got to the last little saddle on the bottom of the ravine and flew to the other side.

I counted over 150 in this one flock and all were hens. The toms were more reclusive but I saw them around too as I stalked the bluffs.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    At dark I was getting ready to leave my spot on the edge of a cornfield in the woodline of an island of smaller trees in the middle of the cornfield. A hawk was working right above me looking for small birds that were roosting in the trees. It kept flying back and forth in front of me. I'm convinced that it didn't know I was sitting there.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Sorry, but call me a skeptic on this company. Let's assume that migratory birds, some fish, and perhaps some other animals really can navigate by using the earth's magnetic field, a conjecture for which there is some evidence, though "proof" is too strong a word. Let's further conjecture deer possess this same attribute, though I've seen absolutely no scientific studies to validate that. (People certainly can't do this, but maybe deer can.)

But what magnetic field strengths are animals used to detecting? Well as it turns out the magnetic field strength of the Earth varies from 0.25 to 0.65 Gauss, or 25,000 to 65,000 nanoTeslas.

What magnetic field strength do humans emit? As it turns out the lungs emit the highest magnetic fields, and they come in at around 0.00001 Gauss. So that means the human body is emitting magnetic fields anywhere between 25,000 to 65,000 times weaker than what migratory birds, fish, and whatever other animals are used to seeing and using. To even detect those extremely weak fields you need a superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) in a magnetically shielded room.

Sorry, but I think the burden of proof rests with them, and I haven't seen anything at all that suggests animals have that degree of sensitivity.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The HECS infomercial on TV looks pretty cool at first, but I've had deer walk right up to me and not startle if I didn't move or make eye contact. Almost got run over by a doe one night as she was constantly checking her 6. Never saw what she thought was chasing her. So call me a little skeptical. Now I do believe in the Ozonics, just not for that price.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Meh. This is right up there with socks that have copper in them. Marketing gimmick.

EM radiation falls off at the square of the distance. By the time another mammal roughly your size is in a position - even with a very sophisticated antenna array and some fancy hardware - to measure anything in the way you reflect, emit, or modify the electromagnetic spectrum/field in a way that would give away your location... you'd be heard breathing and shifting your weight, seen visually, or smelled. Put it this way: if a deer could do it, we'd be using millions of dollars to develop human-flesh-EM-detecting tools for warfighters in the field. There's a reason, instead, that we use thermal imaging, ultrasonic devices, radar/lidar, and other devices/technologies. Put the money towards the costs of getting out in front of more deer and turkeys in better places more often, because that's what puts that tasty meat in the freezer.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've been within touching distance from wild deer and even with my own VERY powerful electrical field, I failed to alert them. I can tell my electrical field is really strong because when I rub my Chicom shoes on the carpet or take laundry out of the dryer, this field is obvious to any impartial observer.

Seriously, in 45 years of hunting them, I have taken deer within 10 feet in regular camo clothing and they were oblivious to my presence until it was too late. Every time I got busted by a deer was because the wind went wrong or I moved when I shoudn't have.

I say "gimmick", but if it helps your confidence, buy two and be happy.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hunting has been going on for generations... Were they worried about what clothing they wear.. tools they used? Doubt it.

+1 on gimmick
    I've been within touching distance from wild deer and even with my own VERY powerful electrical field, I failed to alert them. I can tell my electrical field is really strong because when I rub my Chicom shoes on the carpet or take laundry out of the dryer, this field is obvious to any impartial observer.

Seriously, in 45 years of hunting them, I have taken deer within 10 feet in regular camo clothing and they were oblivious to my presence until it was too late. Every time I got busted by a deer was because the wind went wrong or I moved when I shoudn't have.

I say "gimmick", but if it helps your confidence, buy two and be happy.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Meh. This is right up there with socks that have copper in them. Marketing gimmick.

EM radiation falls off at the square of the distance. By the time another mammal roughly your size is in a position - even with a very sophisticated antenna array and some fancy hardware - to measure anything in the way you reflect, emit, or modify the electromagnetic spectrum/field in a way that would give away your location... you'd be heard breathing and shifting your weight, seen visually, or smelled. Put it this way: if a deer could do it, we'd be using millions of dollars to develop human-flesh-EM-detecting tools for warfighters in the field. There's a reason, instead, that we use thermal imaging, ultrasonic devices, radar/lidar, and other devices/technologies. Put the money towards the costs of getting out in front of more deer and turkeys in better places more often, because that's what puts that tasty meat in the freezer.

Couldn't have said it any better (except the strength of a dipole field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance … which is even worse!)

If this company really was on to something, then they'd be sitting on a pot of gold. Junk the hunting gear. Invest in sensors to detect warfighters. Sell to the DoD then get an ITAR license and export overseas. Then play both sides and upgrade US BDUs to defeat the sensors you just sold overseas.

Billions of dollars being left on the table here, assuming this was real...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Couldn't have said it any better (except the strength of a dipole field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance … which is even worse!)

If this company really was on to something, then they'd be sitting on a pot of gold. Junk the hunting gear. Invest in sensors to detect warfighters. Sell to the DoD then get an ITAR license and export overseas. Then play both sides and upgrade US BDUs to defeat the sensors you just sold overseas.

Billions of dollars being left on the table here, assuming this was real...

Your post doesn't make sense.

They are just trying to make clothes to make hunting easier. They aren't trying to solve military problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom