• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems to me that it would be an accident waiting to happen if you can easily put a long action cartridge into a short action barrel, and then try to force the bolt closed. That's probably why they make both. Just because it's physically possible doesn't make it a good idea.

That's the thing. I would think that would not, in most cases be physically possible. Short actions don't have a long enough gap(bolt throw) between the chamber and receiver bridge to fit most long action rounds. Am I right?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I think correctomondo Outrider58. Although from what I hVe read where some manufacturers consider there long throw not much longer than their short throw, there is to me a big enough difference where the longer long throw rounds will not fit short throw. As you know and others have said, you can put short throw rounds in a long throw rifle

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    6.5x55 has a unique rim dia of .480 .

7x57 , and derivatives ( .257 Roberts, 6mm Remington , several primarily European ctgs ) are technically short action . But the OAL for short action length magazines is restrictive of bullet selection , and seating depth . Therefore many mfg would offer them in long actions .

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    For me I tortured back and forth between 280 AI and 284 win. In the end I chose 284 win 280 AI has the advantage in standard configuration but if you want to go long you have to have room in the boiler room. So to go long you need high BC. You can make room int the boiler room if you seat the long high BC bullets as far out of the case as possible. So I loaded out a 197 SMK and loaded it as far out of the case as I could seating the boat tail at the shoulder of the case. These had a COL of 3.393” I sent three dummy rounds to the barrel builder to set the throat of the rifle so these billeted touched the lands. This will allow me to shoot everything down to 175 or 180 gr and allow me to place them all close to the lands.. So it’s a little bit of a custom and it probably would shoot 162’s and lower like crap but I do not care. I did not build it to do that. to me the shorter powder column makes the rifle inherently very accurate. But it is all custom hand loading. You are not buying anything of the shelf like you can with the AI. Just depends what you want. Jenny has a 28” barrel and she can push 185’s at 2,850. Which is no joke. In the end though I would be happy to have a 280 AI. It was just a little more interesting to produce and thin out the 284 win. Either one of them are fine testaments to the capabilities of the 7 mm family. Here are my 284 win dummy rounds next to my 270 win with 170 gr Elite hunter. Good luck
    92886b292bc4f1616c3da5f0e90edbd0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Short and long actions are relative terms, as many have already stated. In the specific case at hand, this really comes down to what you want to do with the rifle, how much you want to spend on reloading equipment/supplies, and your personal taste. I am a card-carrying Ackley fan. Many are not. I hate trimming brass and shoulder bumping, others don't mind.

One important concern that has not been addressed as far as I have seen is the choice of barrel and 'smith. I would put a very strong endorsement in for Ed "Doc" Harren. He is a great smith, a solid benchrest shooter, and one heck of a fine human being (not to mention being a Marine). The metalwork he has done for me has all been first rate.

And the rifle at Gunshack is a custom shop 40X in 25-06. As the gentleman already pointed out, it is a short action. This is the case of the custom shop 40X rifles. Believe it or not, MOST (not all) short actions will eject a spent long action case. In the world of prone target shooting (palma, highpower prone, F Class, etc.) and to some extent long range benchrest it is not unheard of to chamber a traditionally long action round in a short action. In some cases (certain benchresters being in this group) the bolt is fully removed from the action after every shot (they delete their bolt stops). In other cases, the loaded round is inserted in the ejection port, chambered, fired, and summarily extracted/ejected normally. A loaded round will not be extracted/ejected in these instances unless it fails to fire. In that event, yes, it can be an exercise in dexterity to remove but it is far from impossible.

At one point, I used a spare action for fireforming duty. The action was a 700 short action and was fitted with an M5 extractor. I deleted the ejector and bolt stop. Bolted to a stand, the various improved chamber barrels could be screwed in, forming loads fired, and improved brass thus obtained without wear on a good barrel. Long actions chamberings were handled in this action as it was a single shot solid bottom and had no plunger pushing on the case after extraction.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Can't argue with a .280AI , other than pointing out the 7mm RSAUM exactly duplicates the capacity of the .280AI .

But meanwhile in -06 length & head size , a friend of friend did a .375-06 Improved, and had good results .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Seems to me that it would be an accident waiting to happen if you can easily put a long action cartridge into a short action barrel, and then try to force the bolt closed. That's probably why they make both. Just because it's physically possible doesn't make it a good idea.

HUH????

Long action and short action have nothing to do with the actual chamber.

Is the barrel is chambered for the round, the bolt will close on it.

If you had both a long and a short action chambered in .30-06, you they would shoot fine, once you got the round into the short action.

The problem would be, snaking the long .30-06 round into the smaller gap from breech and retracted bolt.

What you are saying is if you tried to chamber a .30-06 round in a .308 chamber, it would not go. That would be a problem even if you had a long action chambered in .308. But you could also not fire it, as the bolt would be nowhere near closing.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Send it to JES and have it rebored to 9.3x62. That is a great round! You can use 30-06 brass to make cases as well! The conversion doesn’t cost much and if you get tired of it you can rebarrel at a later date.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Great info in here. Thanks.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for old 700 hunting rifle or something to do a Rem-Age conversion in 6.5. Going to save this for all the bolt face info.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Send it to JES and have it rebored to 9.3x62. That is a great round! You can use 30-06 brass to make cases as well! The conversion doesn’t cost much and if you get tired of it you can rebarrel at a later date.

Welcome back. I was wondering if we'd see you again.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    If I were going to convert a long action, .280, .280 AI, or 6.5-06 would be my choices. I absolutely love my .280 and would not change anything on it. I would love to get an old 30-06 and rebarrel it for 6.5-06. Just my .02.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Welcome back. I was wondering if we'd see you again.

Thank you! I have been traveling, hunting and shooting in non-communist states - Virginia, North Carolina and Texas. I like to disconnect from the inter web from time to time to keep my sanity intact! Check out the 9.3 caliber! It’s really a cool cartridge!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you! I have been traveling, hunting and shooting in non-communist states - Virginia, North Carolina and Texas. I like to disconnect from the inter web from time to time to keep my sanity intact! Check out the 9.3 caliber! It’s really a cool cartridge!
    I'm with you on the sanity aspect. Thinking about a break myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom