• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    This is sad news. My son and I have been going out there a couple of times a month for the past few year.

http://www.capitolraceway.com/

Dear Loyal Fans and Participants of Capitol Raceway, After careful consideration of the opportunity of running Capitol Raceway, we have decided not to renew our management agreement for 2020. We wish to thank all those involved with the track and the faithful patrons we have come to know and love these past 7 years. Good luck to all and I hope our paths continue to cross in the future. Sincerely, Jim "Big Money" Bradshaw and Terrie Bradshaw.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    I hope that does not mean the track is closing. It was a great place, and I could hear the sound in my backyard. It’s a part of Maryland I miss. fred55

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Even though I never ventured down to Capitol, I've been a drag racer for the last 25 years. From the bits of information I've read online and from things I've heard from other racers here is what I've gathered thus far.

Track was sold back in 2014 to current owners.
    The Bradshaw's leased the track from the current owner and ran it, but did not renew their lease for this year.

Supposedly there is/was a meeting about subdividing the land the track sits on. Making the gravel pit/run off area one parcel and the remaining in another.
    I think housing development is on its way, but supposedly they can't build due to contamination. (I've heard that they were trying to build on the old 75-80 dragway and it got deny again due to contamination.)

So the future of the track doesn't look good, but if I hear or see any updates I'll post them.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    https://www.capitalgazette.com/poli...0200102-a2ovad7vgnf7dmc5odzwszakrq-story.html

Tolson and Associates and Capital Raceway Promotion seek to subdivide land on Capitol Raceway Road and Evergreen Road in Odenton, relocating a property line to create one lot and one bulk parcel. According to the county website, the property would continue to exist as a sand and gravel pit. The project, which is in council District 4, is in its final phase.

I had seen information on the sand /gravel pit and a bulk lot. But I thought that I read that the bulk lot was with the same house that was already on it.

Either way, I would miss the racetrack.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I first drag raced a slightly built 1964 Ford Wagon with a 352 (not a typo) when I was 16, 1973, later a '69 Roadrunner with the base 383. Raced there off and on for years. I stopped racing in 2011 with my 2005 Mustang GT...

SAD.

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Sad when I saw that. The Bradshaws did a great job with the track, the Pro Mods were flying the last couple of years when we saw them run.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Shame - the Thunder in the Summer could be heard as far north as Rt.3 and Reidel Rd. in the evenings. A lot of change happening in AA

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Growing up in College Park, I went to Capital and Aquasco often. I took this there in May 1968. As a Chevy guy, Jungle Jim Liberman was the man. (of course Pam was my girl :innocent0 )
    Hope they can work it out to remain open.

Attachments

• May 5 1968  Jungle Jim Lieberman, Capital Raceway, Bowie Md.jpg
      May 5 1968 Jungle Jim Lieberman, Capital Raceway, Bowie Md.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 970

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    I raced there in the 70s in get this, a '78 Ford Pinto. Ran a best of 17.36 with that car. Even Bob Glidden himself couldn't beat that number. He couldn't get under 18.20s! Had an RC race there about 5 years ago and won that. Real sad to hear about this going to the same place as Sparrows Point.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The area is so over developed and over populated I'm surprised the track lasted this long. Curfew for noise is midnight. MD Int'l. Raceway dragstrip at Budds Creek is the best dragstrip in MD. Still no curfew. Royce Miller and his sons are real track owners/promoters.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    This would be Pam
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=jungle+pam&t=ffnt&ia=images&iax=images
    Pam has been an icon since my teen years.
    I've made a few passes at Capital. My buddy said I had the longest burnout award. I smoked the tires at launch and pull my foot out. She still didn't hook so I got back in it. Something like 13.8 @122mph. Lots of horsepower, but no traction. Next run I got sideways 1/3 down the track. Radial TA's suck.
    But I like Capital. Hope they get a new tenant.

Attachments

• My71med.jpg
      My71med.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 858

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    The area is so over developed and over populated I'm surprised the track lasted this long. Curfew for noise is midnight. MD Int'l. Raceway dragstrip at Budds Creek is the best dragstrip in MD. Still no curfew. Royce Miller and his sons are real track owners/promoters.

I worked for Royce and Jason there in the late 90's. I thought there was a curfew, especially Friday night Midnight Madness...no open headers. And the neighbors always complain. Plus Potomac Speedway dirt track and Motocross track in the same area. Anyway, it was a good few years, with many long hot days and nights.

They moved me up from the water box to starter. But not for anything good.

Test and tune days. Nothing but junk and cleanups. Dont know how most made it past tech.

Imports. Those were interesting! Staging with the rear wheels. Burnouts past the tree. "I say do ya speaka my language?" --- OF COURSE YOU DON'T!!

And bikes. G--D Damn the bikes :mad54:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Wow a pic of Jungle Jim when he had a nova .
    I still have a Mattel model I built of his Vega lol
    Ran brackets and factory stock class there in mid 70’s along with Cecil dragway on Sunday’s.
    Capital was the draw for all the big names in pro stock and funny cars no other track in MD. Could do.
    Remember talking to my hero Grumpy Jenkins in the pits there when I was running my 70 SS 396 chevelle there in factory stock (DS) class there in 72.
    Still got time slips showing my blistering fast back then for stock cars 13.99 in factory trim

Sure hope it stays open and does’nt get sold off for housing.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    As far as I know there is still no curfew at MIR. I only go there for Pro Mods, Mountain Motor Pro Stock, Top Sportsman. PDRA(Professional Drag Racers Assoc.) & NEOPMA (Northeast Outlaw Pro Mod Assoc.)

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    yes capital on saturday , cecil on sunday , did the bracket thing for awhile . sad to hear , hope someone else can pick up the lease .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom