• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some of my friends went out to pre-fish for stripers and hit them pretty good. They caught five fish all together, the smallest being a mere 44". Here are some pics...
    These are the guys I go out with every year.

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
      rock1.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 950
    • rock2.jpg
      rock2.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 922
    • rock3.jpg
      rock3.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 972
    • rock4.jpg
      rock4.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 912

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Some of my friends went out to pre-fish for stripers and hit them pretty good. They caught five fish all together, the smallest being a mere 44". Here are some pics...
    These are the guys I go out with every year.

Looks like some good cows. Hopefully the pressure on them will be lower and they can all spawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought you could not do that right now?
    Is this in the bay?
    Lots of changes this year.

I know they are seeing some legal size in the OC bays right now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looks like some good cows. Hopefully the pressure on them will be lower and they can all spawn.

Exactly

FYI, these fish were caught and released two weeks ago, when it was legal to catch them trolling single barbless rigs.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018

Unfortunately, the trophy fisherman heading off the big females like these are the reason their numbers fluctuate so much. Even worse is when later in the year they try and blame the commercial guys pound netting them for a living after the spawn for their depleted population

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I thought you could not do that right now?
    Is this in the bay?
    Lots of changes this year.

I know they are seeing some legal size in the OC bays right now.

Doesn't matter, if you want to "pre fish" you can no matter what you want to call it. Fact of the matter though is that many of these big rocks or any for that matter have a small chance of surviving after a fight like this even when you do release them. The same people will cry when the regulations tighten up. However you slice it, humans are instinctively animals and will hunt/kill things into exhaustion...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Doesn't matter, if you want to "pre fish" you can no matter what you want to call it. Fact of the matter though is that many of these big rocks or any for that matter have a small chance of surviving after a fight like this even when you do release them. The same people will cry when the regulations tighten up. However you slice it, humans are instinctively animals and will hunt/kill things into exhaustion...

I'm not so sure of your assertion, but I am not a fan of netting C&R fish. Nor do I think they should be hoisted from the water, especially since the hooks are supposed to be barbless. That is a simple problem with a simple solution. Don't allow it by law.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm not so sure of your assertion, but I am not a fan of netting C&R fish. Nor do I think they should be hoisted from the water, especially since the hooks are supposed to be barbless. That is a simple problem with a simple solution. Don't allow it by law.

Just call it like I see it. You posted pictures of your buddies with a big cow on the deck. Chances of that fish surviving after all that stress are low. And just for pictures in the end. I thought the season was closed for the month of April anyway?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just call it like I see it. You posted pictures of your buddies with a big cow on the deck. Chances of that fish surviving after all that stress are low. And just for pictures in the end. I thought the season was closed for the month of April anyway?
    ...which is your privilege.

When those fish were caught, C&R season was still open, as I previously stated.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    ...which is your privilege.

When those fish were caught, C&R season was still open, as I previously stated.

That's cool, the fact remains that the fish is more than likely no longer living. I don't care what kind of hooks used. To stress that fish out to take a picture and throw it back in the water is where the problem lies. I'm not mad about it, just seems like some people want have their cake and eat it too thats all. Not trying to fight, we just disagree

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's cool, the fact remains that the fish is more than likely no longer living. I don't care what kind of hooks used. To stress that fish out to take a picture and throw it back in the water is where the problem lies. I'm not mad about it, just seems like some people want have their cake and eat it too thats all. Not trying to fight, we just disagree

Actually, we don't disagree as much you might think. The cake and eat it too is just one of our many huma failings.

On the other hand, I have engaged in the catch and release in just about every species of fish that I have ever sought, including almost 20 years catching and releasing striped bass. To think that almost every trophy striper I had caught and let go died as a result can't be borne out. You would have seen hundreds floating(down the Potomac River in my case) and I just never saw anything like that. I'm well aware of proper care of "trophy" fish from hooking to their release, ie landing the fish as soon as possible so as to reduce lactic acid build up to the proper handling of caught fish by not holding the vertically as well as minimal handling so as to maintain as much slime on the fish as possible. I speak only for myself here.

As for my two friends in the pics, they are both long time members of the CCA.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

I was going to refrain from making a comment. However since you posted, when C&R fishing, I agree with not netting and handling these pre-spawn fish. They should be left in the water and unhooked boatside. With single barbless hooks, it isn’t that hard. At least then, the protective slime isn’t being rubbed off of their body, and their own weight isn’t causing pressure to be exerted on the roe sack when being picked up.
    That said, pretty fish!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Actually, we don't disagree as much you might think. The cake and eat it too is just one of our many huma failings.

On the other hand, I have engaged in the catch and release in just about every species of fish that I have ever sought, including almost 20 years catching and releasing striped bass. To think that almost every trophy striper I had caught and let go died as a result can't be borne out. You would have seen hundreds floating(down the Potomac River in my case) and I just never saw anything like that. I'm well aware of proper care of "trophy" fish from hooking to their release, ie landing the fish as soon as possible so as to reduce lactic acid build up to the proper handling of caught fish by not holding the vertically as well as minimal handling so as to maintain as much slime on the fish as possible. I speak only for myself here.

As for my two friends in the pics, they are both long time members of the CCA.

When they get stressed theyll stop running up and down the creek and that's when you land them. Just dont fight them till they roll over. At least that's how I showed my kids how to land a big one. Even then you just shake em up a little and they'll respond before you cut them loose lol:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom