• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    Hello,

Been a lurker here for months, and just recently got my HQL. Looking for recommendations as to where you guys shops for all things gun related. I’ve been a few places where the customer service is abysmal and the employees almost turn their nose up at newbs....

Just looking to share thoughts, experiences and reviews at shops you’ve visited.

I’ll start...United Gun Store in Rockville, MD is awesome. Will help anyone from the most seasoned to the new guys/gals on the block.

GoldenAcorn

Jun 23, 2020
    Maryland Elite Firearms is my new go to. They treat their customers with respect and are a great group of guys. I’d recommend them to any of my family and friends.

If your not interested in smiles... continental arms. LOL

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I only know good ones.

As for "bad" shops, usually it's one guy, and he doesn't last long if he's slacking or driving away customers. I'll give them a few months and try again. Fresh faces can be a good sign.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    heard one that is named for a red canine blows. Held a Ruger SR45 forever my Pop purchased during the 2013 crap from Howard Gun Show. Told me to my face how much of a dick he was and did not care. Also very disrespectful to my Pop, and I told him as such... Major attitude and did not care that I splained to him the 7 day wait rule. Cuck ahole

UGS is awesome. Will take time to talk to you.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Some real good gun shops around. Some are IPs here on this site. The best gun shop that you will find is Scotts gun shop in Glen Burnie. None better. Before I moved from Md, that is where I went. Nice shop, good people, good deals, and honest. Also if Scott can't fix it, it can't be fixed. Don't matter how far you have to go, it's worth the trip.

http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Some real good gun shops around. Some are IPs here on this site. The best gun shop that you will find is Scotts gun shop in Glen Burnie. None better. Before I moved from Md, that is where I went. Nice shop, good people, good deals, and honest. Also if Scott can't fix it, it can't be fixed. Don't matter how far you have to go, it's worth the trip.

Meh. I have had bad experiences there. I lived right around the corner. The last one was probably 15 years ago. Went in with cash, $1500, and tried to buy something. The guy at the counter was working with me. Then a guy walked in and started talking about how he was a cop. Suddenly I wasnt worth shit and he switched to the "cop" who didnt buy anything. I ended up walking out without anything.

My favorite is 2A in Jessup, I have never had a bad experience and they were always straight up. First in line is first served, and so on. No BS and honest. He was able to remember me even though I only buy every few years and dont stop in unless I am buying.

Tyler Firearms in Arbutus is also good. Smaller shop. Always seemed friendly enough. Much closer to me than 2A. But 2A was still my go to.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    For me in between Frederick and Hagerstown it’s Hafers as the best with great customer service. Shopped with them since they were in the basement. Gun Center on Rosemont as the worst. Bad customer service, act like they’re doing you a favor in showing you a gun. Antietam Firearms in Funkstown is also good to deal with.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Engage Armament in Rockville has been my #1 for well over a decade. Not only are they a dealer, they sell NFA items, manufacturer firearms, Cerakote, and laser engrave. Their gunsmith, Garrett, was a gunsmith at Beretta when they were in Maryland. Andy, Carlos and the team are smart, work hard, and take care of their customers. I was not compensated for this message :nono:

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Maryland Elite Firearms is my new go to. They treat their customers with respect and are a great group of guys. I’d recommend them to any of my family and friends.

Agreed. Spent lots there. Great shop. I’ve also had great experiences at 2A, Engage and Duffy’s (though not releasing after 7 days when MSP computers went **** up was discouraging).

Edit: Forgot to say several fine purchases from United and A1 as well as a couple great purchases from South Carol. Good treatment from both. I’m glad South Carol isn’t open full time. I can’t handle another gun shop so easily separating me from my money.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Duffy’s, The Gun Shop, Gun Connection, and Jlowe’s have all treated me well

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    I agree ... I have bought guns and accessories at Engage and United. Both are good shops in the Rockville area.

David

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hello,

I’ve been a few places where the customer service is abysmal and the employees almost turn their nose up at newbs....

Sounds like you've been to On Target. I have seen some unbelievably bad customer service there. Jaw dropping. Just look at the owners responses to their online reviews. He definitely means well but he does not know how to deal with customers.

My go to shops are Duffy's Gun Room and 2A Sales & Supplies, I live near one and work by the other.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I haven't had occasion to do business with Scott's save for one time. It was an overall good experience, great price on the consignment Beretta 92s they had a while back. Between family and friends I think we took five or six of them off his hands.

If the one old guy in there would stay in the back and stop barking nonsensical orders and interfering with other workers it would be even better but alas.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Hafers in Hagerstown is a great place but too far to drive for me to go there often. Tyler's in Halthorpe is great and Chuck is a stand up guy.

Tyler's is my go to any more. Chuck and his staff are great. I always check with them first on guns I want quoted and use them exclusively for transfers.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    For me in between Frederick and Hagerstown it’s Hafers as the best with great customer service. Shopped with them since they were in the basement. Gun Center on Rosemont as the worst. Bad customer service, act like they’re doing you a favor in showing you a gun.

Hafers in Hagerstown is a great place but too far to drive for me to go there often.

+1 for Hafers' in Hagerstown...hands down for customer service/knowledgable staff/reasonable pricing and stock avaialability. The folks at United in Rockville do a nice job as well. Yep-- Gun Center in Frederick is definitely on the bottom end of this spectrum for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom