• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'd try to go for a "true" 1x if possible. I love that my leupold is light, but that slight magnification makes things slower in close unless you just use it like the original aimpoints.

Yeah, I have the 1.25-4 pig plex vx-r. Great scope, but the little bit of magnification will throw you off a bit and kind of force you to use one eye.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have a NF NX8. It is an excellent optic that so far has proven to be bombproof. Originally I had it in a Geiselle 2.04” mount but while I prefer a heads up shooting style the mount was a bit too high. I switched to a Scalarworks 1.93 mount and couldn’t be happier.

I too run an NX8. Amazing power stuffed in a really small and robust scope. But it's truly a compromise on a lot of features to be what it is, an ultra lightweight, compact, bomb-proof, 1-8x LPVO with searing bright illumination.

I upgraded from a Vortex PST Gen 2. As others have said, it's a great scope for the money. In my opinion it's the first scope that you can consider "duty grade" in that price range. NF just takes it to another level, but it'll cost you.

There is a lot to consider when spending money on an LPVO. FOV, Eye relief and daylight bright illum are some general priorities.

It really depends on your budget.

For ultra budget (under $400) I normally recommend the Primary Arms 1-6 SFP

For low-mid range (Under $1000), Vortex PST Gen 2

For mid range (~$1500), I would check out the Sig Tango6T 1-6... which just got a big mil contract I believe.

Anything beyond, start checking out Nightforce and Luepold's high end offerings.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ha- not according to vortex. I actually recently asked them about that very idea.

According to them, no plans going about a gen 3 yet.

OK, so the week after next. :lol2::lol2:

Actually, once I pull the trigger on a Viper PST 5-25x Gen 2, THAT is when they will come out with the Gen 3. :D:D

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    OK, so the week after next. :lol2::lol2:

Actually, once I pull the trigger on a Viper PST 5-25x Gen 2, THAT is when they will come out with the Gen 3. :D:D

Did exactly that with a Gen 1 of that model, and a few weeks later, the Gen 2 came out.:lol2:

Q

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I may be talking myself into a Razor Gen II for my long range rifle.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Been very happy with the Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 - VMR-2 MOA Reticle on a Browning BAR .308 especially after I added a Vortex quick-throw lever on the magnification ring.

Attachments

• 147664563_10225096923918936_3646171112914888544_o.jpg
      147664563_10225096923918936_3646171112914888544_o.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 287

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Been very happy with the Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 - VMR-2 MOA Reticle on a Browning BAR .308 especially after I added a Vortex quick-throw lever on the magnification ring.
    I’m glad to hear that it is working out for you. Glass is such a personal thing, and I am always hesitant to tell someone not to overspend on it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just got the PST Gen 2 1-6x.

One issue for LVPO use is, it has a traditional reticle.

The Strike Eagle has a heavy illuminated ring with a small dot in the middle. So it can be used like a red dot.

The Viper PST does not has literally a dot in the middle. I am thinking about returning it.

The glass is VERY nice and bright. Just not sure it is what I need in that power range.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

The Strike Eagle has a heavy illuminated ring with a small dot in the middle. So it can be used like a red dot.

The Viper PST does not has literally a dot in the middle. I am thinking about returning it.

The glass is VERY nice and bright. Just not sure it is what I need in that power range.

What trouble are you having with using it on 1 power ?

gun_nut

Dec 9, 2018
    I run a Vortex pst gen 1 1-4 on my recce build. Been thinking about swapping it out for a strike eagle though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What trouble are you having with using it on 1 power ?

I have not mounted it yet.

But the Strike Eagle reticle seems to be nicer for 1x fast shooting. With the heavy circle and dot versus just a dot.

Attachments

• vtx_sub_StrikeEagle_AR-BDC3_moa_1-6x24_v2.jpg
      vtx_sub_StrikeEagle_AR-BDC3_moa_1-6x24_v2.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 217

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Turn on the illumination, shoot it like an Aimpoint The reticle works without it, just takes a little to get used to if you are used to a more cluttered reticle. The Strike eagles do have a lot going on in the reticle, especially the gen2s. Where the SEs illumination will work on an overcast day, it doesn't work on a sunny day like the PST2s, and it illuminates the whole thing unlike the small center dot on the PST2. Messing around with pics in the basement you can see the much larger field of view on the PST2, this is why it's well worth $600(Razors are even better), the tube and controls surrounding it practically dissapear when shooting. The strike Eagles have a lot more of a ring, and a little distortion. The aimpoint has the smallest field of view, but it's also the clearest with the least distortion and can go a little brighter than the PST2 for the brightest days

PST2
    20210228_112904.jpg
    Aimpoint
    20210228_112540.jpg
    Strike Eagle gen1
    20210228_113144.jpg
    Strike Eagle gen2
    20210228_112721.jpg

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am going to hang on to it.

I will mess around with it, and see which I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom