• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Roadie dude. I was in Continental with a friend and he asked something like "I'd like to order this but in a different caliber..." Roadie was like Meh. Cold shoulder, about face and walk away.

Like 20 seconds later I hear pounding noise so I walk down to the end and see him beating and shaking on the vending machine to get whatever he paid for out.

Karma?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I think it was more so an issue that they kept him on for years even with all the complaints about him. I always wondered about that. I have been doing business on and off with them at both stores for many years.
    I though he might have been a relative or something.
    But, like SG said, they have been nothing but professional since he has left.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Continental is my closest gun store. They have always been fine with me, but man the place just oozes with apathy towards their customers. They seem to be much better with experienced shooters that come in knowing more or less what they want, although they come off as having a "figure it out" mentality for newbies. Seeing stuff like that just irks me, a potential pro 2A vote wasted.

There is one guy that has worked there recently, although I haven't seen much of him, who is very chatty but friendly and is always happy to take things out of the case to show customers. They need more people like that. I went in a few days ago and Jaime wouldn't even glance to say hello from what he was doing. I sometimes feel like a bother when I am in there, despite a lengthy purchase history with them.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Sounds like we have gone full circle. Initially Continental was the only game in town but was a terrible experience. Then along came Freestate who was awesome. Years later Freestate is a shit show and Continental seems to be a decent place. Go figure.
    Customers should absolutely vote with their dollars and support places that are doing things the right way.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Dave at Bel Air Gun and Pawn would have been a challenge to beat...

You aren't kidding. I think his brother Bobby down at Fallston Gun and Pawn took it as a challenge. Dave was a moron, Bobby was a dick.

Sep 9, 2020
    I shoot at CA range regularly and have never had any issues. The RO's are nice to me. Just last month, while leaving the range I noticed they had an AR15 pistol in stock, at a fair price ... (you already know where this story is headed). Fearing the Biden Ban, I bought the gun, and have no regrets dealing with CA on this or any other purchase.

One minor complaint is that I can't shoot this gun at CA, because their range does not allow AR's, I think due to structural limitations with the backstop.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Sounds like we have gone full circle. Initially Continental was the only game in town but was a terrible experience. Then along came Freestate who was awesome. Years later Freestate is a shit show and Continental seems to be a decent place. Go figure.
    Customers should absolutely vote with their dollars and support places that are doing things the right way.

This is why I choose Duffy's whenever possible. It's a small place but they know their stuff. You won't get any countertop-commando's telling you stuff you know is false. They walk the talk over there.

But with the current situation, it's been pushing me and others to wherever and whoever has what they need. The freedom of choice has been somewhat limited to finding what you are looking for.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    For those who may be familiar with him, either pro or con? I can't help but think that international sales speaker Jeffery Gitomer would have an absolute field day in making himself another million with this very thread.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    CA has a nice selection of pistols for rent at the range. They have many revolvers and many semi-auto.

Their price on used and new guns are way too high. I don't even know how they survive as a business. Some of the revolvers are priced over 1K. Do they want to use them as props because these guns will sit there for years!

How long has they been in business?

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I won a year membership at the range at a Friends of the NRA event a few years ago. I only went a few times but never had a problem.

I ordered a pistol when Ziggy was still there. What an ass!

Their historically high prices and a membership at a more local range have kept me away for the past few years.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I helped build Continental Arms for Kurt Petrucci along time ago. When it 1st opened Kurt and his staff would bend over backwards to help you and get any gun that you wanted. When Kurt left the business, I heard a lot of bad things about Continental Arms. I haven't been back since.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    I went to CA just recently. The range was not crowded, and customer service was excellent. They had a decent selection of smokeless powder at prices lower than the York Gun Show.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I went to CA back in 2012 or 13 to support a Wounded Warriors range day. My daughter wanted to get a revolver in the wake of O'Malleys March. CA refused to release on time and the female clerk tried to convince my daughter than the HQL was a good thing. We went to Clyde's and she had her new purchase in 8 days. Haven't been back to CA.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    I wouldn't buy from Continental Arms if they were selling Colt AR's for a buck. They are, by far, the worst retail business I have ever dealt with in 45 years on this rock.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't buy from Continental Arms if they were selling Colt AR's for a buck. They are, by far, the worst retail business I have ever dealt with in 45 years on this rock.
    I only dealt with them directly a couple of times, but my experiences were pretty positive.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I bought an LR308 from them years ago, when one of our members was working there. Great experience, perhaps b/c I already knew my sales guy.
    Sadly, this has been a recurring discussion, with regards to MD gun stores.

Driver9

Apr 14, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Continental Arms has definitely gotten better over the years. I don't know who Ziggy is, but I do recall some young kid with a real attitude being just a complete, arrogant a-hole. I think he had a bowl cut or something. There was an older lady who was the good cop behind the counter; she was polite and, if I'm not misunderstanding, was perhaps the owner or related to the owner.

I've been to Duffy's a couple of times and really like the vibe in there. When I was looking at different brands of ARs, they were very knowledgeable and very patient.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I was a range member at Continental for a couple of years...

I bought several Handguns there & lots of reloading supplies...

It was a good place that suited me & served me well...

Jim & Sandy were very help fulI...

I have nothing negative to say...

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Continental Arms has definitely gotten better over the years. I don't know who Ziggy is, but I do recall some young kid with a real attitude being just a complete, arrogant a-hole. I think he had a bowl cut or something. There was an older lady who was the good cop behind the counter; she was polite and, if I'm not misunderstanding, was perhaps the owner or related to the owner.

I've been to Duffy's a couple of times and really like the vibe in there. When I was looking at different brands of ARs, they were very knowledgeable and very patient.

Duffy's is a gun enthusiasts gun store. They know their stuff. That said, they are still very friendly to newcomers with questions.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    It should be a cautionary tale to every small business owner - one bad experience can cost thousands.

I went in to Continental to buy my first firearm in 2013. I was treated like an idiot, like I was a bother, and then someone else came in to the store, picked up a rifle, and pointed it at me. I left.

Never went back in there. I have no idea what the jerk behind the counter was named. But it cost Continental at least one sale. I'm glad to hear it's better now, I certainly want gun retailers to succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom