• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    While getting some info off of the MSP site when I noticed that some rifles that are banned under the firearms review list are also listed on the handgun roster as being able to purchase. I’m new to this world so it could be a simple oversight but how does this work? For an example, the Sig MCX shows as:

Manufacturer Sig Sauer
    Description Sig Sauer MCX
    Status Banned
    Justification Meets the definition of a "copycat weapon".
    Date of Status 7/9/2015Notes

But it is listed in the on the handgun roster:
    Model: MCX
    Model Number: N/A
    Caliber: 300 BLK, 5.56 NATO, 7.62X39mm

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Based on the text you posted they determined the Sig Sauer MCX rifle meets the definition of a copycat weapon. The Sig Sauer MCX pistol, however, is not banned because it is not a rifle and doesn't meet the same criteria.

§ 4-301(e) Copycat weapon. --
    (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

For somewhat similar reasons you cannot buy an AK-47 rifle, but you can buy something like a Draco.

The law banning them specifcally says 'rifle'. A pistol is not a rifle.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    I understand that it’s futile to try and figure out their logic (there’s none), but:
    Does MSP feel that a pistol, because it has to go through the HQL verification process, is less threatening than a rifle, which until recently could have been sold/bought F2F without registration?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I understand that it’s futile to try and figure out their logic (there’s none), but:
    Does MSP feel that a pistol, because it has to go through the HQL verification process, is less threatening than a rifle, which until recently could have been sold/bought F2F without registration?

What does MSP's feeling have to do with it?

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    I don’t get it. How do all of these “educated” people sit in a room with straight faces and tell each other that Maryland’s gun laws, restrictions, guidelines, etc. make sense. I can’t buy or sell high capacity mags but I can transport them across state lines. A rifle is banned, however a pistol, which is the same firearm with the stock replaced by a brace is legal. This is definitely not about safety…this is about control.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don’t get it. How do all of these “educated” people sit in a room with straight faces and tell each other that Maryland’s gun laws, restrictions, guidelines, etc. make sense. I can’t buy or sell high capacity mags but I can transport them across state lines. A rifle is banned, however a pistol, which is the same firearm with the stock replaced by a brace is legal. This is definitely not about safety…this is about control.

.....and there you have it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

All true, none of it makes sense.

But also consider where the list of banned rifles came from.

Pre 2013 it existed as a list of regulated long guns that were to be treated the same as handguns... additional paperwork, 7 day wait, no FTF transfer, etc., because someone thought they were more scary than other long guns. So they started out as 'equal' to pistols in percieved level of dangerosity.

Then in 2013 came the push to pass 'something', mostly to help an unidentified man's campaign efforts. They simply took the existing list, changed some words like 'regulated' to 'banned', and pushed it through.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    While getting some info off of the MSP site when I noticed that some rifles that are banned under the firearms review list are also listed on the handgun roster as being able to purchase. I’m new to this world so it could be a simple oversight but how does this work? For an example, the Sig MCX shows as:

Manufacturer Sig Sauer
    Description Sig Sauer MCX
    Status Banned
    Justification Meets the definition of a "copycat weapon".
    Date of Status 7/9/2015Notes

But it is listed in the on the handgun roster:
    Model: MCX
    Model Number: N/A
    Caliber: 300 BLK, 5.56 NATO, 7.62X39mm

Keep it simple, buy from a LOCAL GUN SHOP (An Industry Partner). They know what is legal & what is NOT.
    They will give you a fair deal & take care pf you after the sale. Look into Industry Partners in the website...

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Keep it simple, buy from a LOCAL GUN SHOP (An Industry Partner). They know what is legal & what is NOT.
    They will give you a fair deal & take care pf you after the sale. Look into Industry Partners in the website...

And this is the sentiment that I keep coming back to…shop local. I purchased my 1st firearm and did a transfer through Tyler Firearms and they’ve been excellent…no complaints there. I really just want to stop by and pick their brains sometimes but because I’m so new to everything and they can get pretty busy at times, I get major anxiety when thinking about asking “beginner” or “dumb” questions in front of people. This is my personal issue though, I’m supposed to make another purchase in August, I think I will take that opportunity to ask all of my questions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do not torture yourself looking for the logic , there is none . This might seem like a joke or a punchline , but it's not .

Viper385

Jan 17, 2018
    And this is the sentiment that I keep coming back to…shop local. I purchased my 1st firearm and did a transfer through Tyler Firearms and they’ve been excellent…no complaints there. I really just want to stop by and pick their brains sometimes but because I’m so new to everything and they can get pretty busy at times, I get major anxiety when thinking about asking “beginner” or “dumb” questions in front of people. This is my personal issue though, I’m supposed to make another purchase in August, I think I will take that opportunity to ask all of my questions.

I can second they are excellent to deal with. Just made a purchase from them yesterday and was actually surprised at what I found there. They had a good selection and were very helpful. They were pretty busy and only allow a few people in at a time. But even though there were people waiting outside I did not feel rushed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom