• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found one for sale @ $275.00 that looked to be in pretty good shape. I've been wanting a carry gun with more power than a 9MM so I was interested in it. I hesitated at first but went to the bathroom to get some time to think about it and decided to go for it. At that price I didn't think it would be there long.

The bottom half is in the camo finish and the barrel is black. It had the extended mag but I wanted the short mag for concealment purposes and it was missing. I picked up the short mag yesterday and I'll have the extended mag for extra ammo. The extended mag is only for getting another finger on the grip and it has the same ammo capacity as the short mag (6).

I shot some of my reloads with max loads and 180 grain Berry's bullets at the range and it shoots good at around ten yards and up close (which is what I would use it for). I was wondering about the recoil but it was pretty manageable for me.

No real misfires etc but I did a deep cleaning of it today and want to try it out with minimum loads to see if I can improve the accuracy.

Will report...

Last edited:

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Cool. Keep us updated. I may have one. Not sure if I lost that one in my 2020 covid boating accident or not

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    excellent I have one its nice but I can't comment on accuracy because I'm just not that good with a pistol

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When the Gen 2 was introduced , the Gen 1 Shields became screaming values , both resale and NOS .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    excellent I have one its nice but I can't comment on accuracy because I'm just not that good with a pistol

I shot at about 15 yards off a bipod and was right in the bulls-eye. When I started shooting freehand I was still in the circle but can't hit the bulls-eye. I think I have to strengthen my wrist and hands to keep steady. I started using a small dumbbell for it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Admittedly in 9mm , not .40 , but when first trying a Gen 1 Shield , my major take away was : This is a quasi- pocket sized subcompact that I could shoot as accurately as an " average" full size 9mm .

I think highly enough of Gen 1 Shields that I gave one to my daughter .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I tested out the trigger after I finished cleaning the gun and putting it back together. I watched closely against a wall what was happening as I pulled the trigger. I can see that I'm pulling it a little to the side as the trigger goes off. I'll work on keeping the gun steady.

Is there a way to adjust the trigger on this gun?

Also, I'm really interested in the 45 ACP version of the gun and will look for a used one.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I tested out the trigger after I finished cleaning the gun and putting it back together. I watched closely against a wall what was happening as I pulled the trigger. I can see that I'm pulling it a little to the side as the trigger goes off. I'll work on keeping the gun steady.

Also, I'm really interested in the 45 ACP version of the gun and will look for a used one.

No way to adjust the trigger but you can install a different one if need be.
    Are you pulling with the pad of your fingertip or the joint on your finger? If you’re pulling with the joint, that can make you pull to the side slightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Congrats. They are good guns. I have a 9 and a 45 shield. not a 40. The 45 is very easy to shoot, and i would guess so is the 40. I’d like to hear how you like the 40.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Congrats. They are good guns. I have a 9 and a 45 shield. not a 40. The 45 is very easy to shoot, and i would guess so is the 40. I’d like to hear how you like the 40.

I can shoot my Remington R1 45 ACP very accurately. Wonder how I could shoot the Shield 45 ACP? I'll get one if a used one comes up.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I have a 9mm Gen 2. I like it (but I think I need new mags -- neither one locks the slide back). Bought it used.

I also find I am much more accurate with it than other pistols of a similar size.

People rag on the .40 a lot, but I think it's great. Blaster229 can't keep his hands off of me when I wear it. That's probably why I don't carry it much.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    So now there is the Shield,, Shield 2, and shield plus?
    Still trying to figure ot what difference (Advantages) the Shield plus, over the M&P 2.0 subcompact. both double stack SC guns?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

Yes, it's a good idea to work on your trigger control. What helped me a lot with my .45 ( any gun really ) was dry firing. I'd practice while watching TV. Shot the light switch MANY, many times. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

No way to adjust the trigger but you can install a different one if need be.
    Are you pulling with the pad of your fingertip or the joint on your finger? If you’re pulling with the joint, that can make you pull to the side slightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think your teeny tiny finger on a trigger is moving your pistol side to side, you need to work on your grip. The grip should not be bullied like that.

Stop wasting time on wondering what part of your finger is on the trigger. It won't matter in a shooting.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I sucked a$$ for a long time until I really got comfortable with my grip. Now after a few thousand rounds of practice I only moderately suck. I think the biggest thing that helped was getting my left thumb really far forward on the frame. When shooting quickly, I still have a tendency to anticipate the shot and push slightly down and to the left but I can pretty much put the bullet in the torso at 5-25yds.

What I have also noticed is that this method helps even when shooting friends pistols that I’ve never shot before. I have a glock 26 .40SW and a G30 .45 there is really no difference in accuracy when compared to my other glocks or polymer body pistols.

9f9b0f77e660a6c4b20123894e9afeb0.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Gen 2.0 is externally same size as Gen 1 , but more smoother - er on the trigger ( which already didn't suck on Gen 1 ) .

The Original size Shield vs Shield Plus vs M&P Subcompact is a particularly pointed example of larger trends and slippery slopes regarding upsized micro guns . To wit , ( subsequent variants of ) big guns shrink , and tiny guns grow , until they meet in middle , or even pass each other . The short answer is the M&P SC as larger, chunkier frame , with corresponding longer trigger reach . From what I've read , people vary in what they prefer/ shoot better , depending upon their previous experience and hand size . In marketplace , the Shield Plus is hotter than sliced beer , and the SC is languishing .

* To Me * , there is a binary dividing line in purpose , with different expectations . The dividing line is whether something is plausibly somewhat capable of carry in normal- ish pants pocket or not .

If carry actually in pocket ( or ankle) isn't a primary use , I'd rather have a " normal compact " for belt/ IWB use . * To Me * , things like M&P SC or G26/ 27 are neither Fish nor Fowl . Too big for pocket , yet too small to shoot as well as a Normal belt pistol . But I have XXXL hands , and YMMV .

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a S&W SD40VE that I shoot all the time when i go to the range and it is a good firearm and easy to shoot as well. I also have a glock 27 which is a nice little unit and when I travel to the Rehoboth Beach area its a hard choice on what I want to carry that day and it comes down what do I have on that day for CC since I have the Utah Permit. When at the range I can put rounds where they need to be at 5 and 10yrds range as well. Wondering is it worth getting rid of the SD40 to get the shield ????I am keeping my glock since it is easy to ccw with that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I sucked a$$ for a long time until I really got comfortable with my grip. Now after a few thousand rounds of practice I only moderately suck. I think the biggest thing that helped was getting my left thumb really far forward on the frame. When shooting quickly, I still have a tendency to anticipate the shot and push slightly down and to the left but I can pretty much put the bullet in the torso at 5-25yds.

What I have also noticed is that this method helps even when shooting friends pistols that I’ve never shot before. I have a glock 26 .40SW and a G30 .45 there is really no difference in accuracy when compared to my other glocks or polymer body pistols.

9f9b0f77e660a6c4b20123894e9afeb0.jpg
    Now about your recoil. You won't eliminate it, so now it's time to learn to work with it.
    After that round fires and that muzzle flips, is time you wrangle that flip down to reset your sight picture and alignment. Hopefully you'll have that sight aligned as that sight picture(bullseye) is coming down perfectly to make that next shot.
    This is good for multiple slow fire shots.

This also helps to work the rhythm with your trigger, timing the reset so your trigger is staged at about when you have that sight alignment/picture.

Clear as mud!

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks for the explanation,,
    And thankfully S&W has not dropped "overlapping" model lines and gives us choices.

The Gen 2.0 is externally same size as Gen 1 , but more smoother - er on the trigger ( which already didn't suck on Gen 1 ) .

The Original size Shield vs Shield Plus vs M&P Subcompact is a particularly pointed example of larger trends and slippery slopes regarding upsized micro guns . To wit , ( subsequent variants of ) big guns shrink , and tiny guns grow , until they meet in middle , or even pass each other . The short answer is the M&P SC as larger, chunkier frame , with corresponding longer trigger reach . From what I've read , people vary in what they prefer/ shoot better , depending upon their previous experience and hand size . In marketplace , the Shield Plus is hotter than sliced beer , and the SC is languishing .

* To Me * , there is a binary dividing line in purpose , with different expectations . The dividing line is whether something is plausibly somewhat capable of carry in normal- ish pants pocket or not .

If carry actually in pocket ( or ankle) isn't a primary use , I'd rather have a " normal compact " for belt/ IWB use . * To Me * , things like M&P SC or G26/ 27 are neither Fish nor Fowl . Too big for pocket , yet too small to shoot as well as a Normal belt pistol . But I have XXXL hands , and YMMV .

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Now about your recoil. You won't eliminate it, so now it's time to learn to work with it.
    After that round fires and that muzzle flips, is time you wrangle that flip down to reset your sight picture and alignment. Hopefully you'll have that sight aligned as that sight picture(bullseye) is coming down perfectly to make that next shot.
    This is good for multiple slow fire shots.

This also helps to work the rhythm with your trigger, timing the reset so your trigger is staged at about when you have that sight alignment/picture.

Clear as mud!

The recoil with my Hellcat which is the smallest pistol I own is the worst but it fits my hand much better than my G26 or G30 and I seem to shoot more accurately with it, so I’ll say I agree that it’s something I need to continue to practice.

I consider myself an active student at this point. I’m disappointed that I couldn’t make time to get up to your PA place before you moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom