• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve never heard about the book before but this is a topic that interest me. In checked out the website and it sort if reads like one long commercial. That puts me off a bit. So I tried to find any discussions or reviews on prepper forums. I found one sudo review, which also seemed to be a paid review type of ad. Then I found another review on a different site which was exactly the same word for word. That screams to me that someone is really marketing this book hard. It doesn’t in and of itself mean the content is not accurate or useful, it just concerns me a bit. It’s only $37 bucks so may be worth rolling the dice.

I’ve checked out some foraging books online from the howard county library and thought they were more scientific and detailed that what this book seems to be.

Good luck.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I’ve never heard about the book before but this is a topic that interest me. In checked out the website and it sort if reads like one long commercial. That puts me off a bit. So I tried to find any discussions or reviews on prepper forums. I found one sudo review, which also seemed to be a paid review type of ad. Then I found another review on a different site which was exactly the same word for word. That screams to me that someone is really marketing this book hard. It doesn’t in and of itself mean the content is not accurate or useful, it just concerns me a bit. It’s only $37 bucks so may be worth rolling the dice.

I’ve checked out some foraging books online from the howard county library and thought they were more scientific and detailed that what this book seems to be.

Good luck.

Thanks for looking into it. That sort of stuff is a big turnoff to me, self created hype..

GamerJim and Blacksmith have some other options I may check out.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Euell Gibbons! Wow I have not heard that name in decades. Thanks for firing some really old synapses.

I still note the places I see wild asparagus growing. I no longer stalk the stalks but I know were to collect root stocks for my asparagus bed for after TEOTWAWKI.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Euell Gibbons! Wow I have not heard that name in decades. Thanks for firing some really old synapses.

Yup.

I'm a friend to old Euell Gibbons
    And I only eat homegrown spice
    I got a John Keats autographed Grecian urn
    Filled up with my brown rice, Yes, I do

Oh, but folks lately I have been spotted
    With a Big Mac on my breath
    Stumbling into a Colonel Sanders
    With a face as white as death

I'm afraid someday they'll find me
    Just stretched out on my bed
    With a handful of Pringles Potato Chips
    And a Ding Dong by my head

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    These are pretty good too but if I had to choose one it would be the previously mentioned Northeast Foraging followed by The Forager’s Harvest.

Attachments

• FEC9A865-B015-446B-BC40-67E90EE6379A.jpg
      FEC9A865-B015-446B-BC40-67E90EE6379A.jpg
      134.9 KB · Views: 244

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Chicory is in bloom in Cecil County. It is a good time to spot it and learn how to identify because the blue flowers make it stand out. Look for it along secondary roads, the edges of farm fields and fallow fields. Once you know what to look for you will see it lots of places.

Link to an identification guide:
    https://www.ediblewildfood.com/chicory.aspx

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have the Peterson’s guide.
    Good because it’s small and will easily fit in your pocket or bug-out bag.
    Bad because it’s small print.

Attachments

• 4549752D-8BEC-4312-9CA3-0F9E1E4B696F.jpg
      4549752D-8BEC-4312-9CA3-0F9E1E4B696F.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 214
    • 207BD5D9-EDFC-4992-93DC-92E4EDB77D8F.jpeg
      207BD5D9-EDFC-4992-93DC-92E4EDB77D8F.jpeg
      104.3 KB · Views: 197

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I met Euell Gibbons while doing my BSA Jr. Leadership training at Schiff Scout center in New Jersey sometime in the early 70's. Remember one kid mentioning that he wasn't eating weeds and Mr. Gibbons went on to explain that those weeds could save his life.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    These are pretty good too but if I had to choose one it would be the previously mentioned Northeast Foraging followed by The Forager’s Harvest.

Thanks for the pointer. I checked out The Forager's Harvest and I liked that it had multiple pictures per plant. I want to make sure I'm picking the right plant!

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    Anyone use an app for foraging? Looks like there are quite a few available, some free and some for a small fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom