• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    I tip for sit down service at a restaurant. Everywhere I go there seems to be an expectation for a tip on take out. I'm not doing that.

Cheap SOB or agreed?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I tip for sit down service at a restaurant. Everywhere I go there seems to be an expectation for a tip on take out. I'm not doing that.

Cheap SOB or agreed?

It depends. If the food is good and they work hard, I tip. Some place just throws craps together and don't care.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    i tip if i have a waitress/waiter taking my order and then bringing food to my table or if I am sitting at the bar I tip the bartender. I don't tip a counter person unless something exceptional happens.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    i tip if i have a waitress/waiter taking my order and then bringing food to my table or if I am sitting at the bar I tip the bartender. I don't tip a counter person unless something exceptional happens.

This.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I did tip for take out when places were closed for COVID. I was trying to help support the folks working.

Run of the mill stuff? Maybe the change unless they made some real effort.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I do tip for carry out, but not full 15-25%. A couple bucks for 2 meals. I assume those tips are pooled, but if they spend a few minutes on my stuff it is worth something. I feel it helps build a rapport over time that benefits everyone. Sorta like karma

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    Pre-Chinese Lab Derived Virus it didn't seem like every receipt requiring a signature had a tip section. Now they all do....and a moment of guilt, reflection and shame.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Pink.jpeg

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I typically don't go to new places. So I tip as I'm at the same places over and over. I figure I must like the food and staff to keep going back, and it keeps me from getting poor service on the next visit.

I otherwise don't just for the sake of it.

One local places got complaints because it was put out that the owner was keeping the tips at the carry out. I suspect this isn't an isolated event.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When I get takeout from the Main Cup in Middletown or my favorite Chinese place I normally tip 10%. Bill for two people usually is $28 so I normally give $31. When I go to a sit down meal at a restaurant like Glory Days I tip 20-25% because I’m a regular and the servers/bartenders anticipate my needs. When I need another Guinness I’m brought one without asking and they usually know how I like my burgers/wings. Exceptional service gets exceptional rewards. Plus they all still make below minimum wage.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I tip at carry out places. A friend of mine worked at Applebee’s and would complain about getting stuck at the car side service. She said they make the same $2.xx an hour as the other servers and most people did not tip the carry out servers so they made next to nothing for the shifts stuck working carry out. I am not sure if all places do this but, I started tipping 10-15% for the carry out employees after hearing about it.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    The tip jars that really annoy me are the tip jar for the cashier.

Attachments

• 9ECFE81B-6904-4452-85FE-53515DE08896.jpeg
      9ECFE81B-6904-4452-85FE-53515DE08896.jpeg
      6.9 KB · Views: 383

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    Ok, so I guess what is important for me to know is who is working in a tipped role with a reduced hourly rate and who is not.

This is the problem. Waiters get screwed in their hourly wage by restaurants knowing that the customer understands a tip is expected and customary BUT not necessary. 20% if all the boxes get checked, 25% if it is a phenomenal experience and down the percentage rung as I ask for a refill or you don't bring ketchup after I've asked.

If someone is making over
    $12 an hour at a take out counter, I don't think I need to tip.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The tip jars that really annoy me are the tip jar for the cashier.

Yes! Saw one at the liquor store cash register. Really! I had to get my own beer out of the cooler. What did the cashier do to deserve a tip?

Last edited:

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    A dry cleaner near me lowered their prices from even dollars to $X.95 and put a tip jar next to the cash register. Their net increased because most change went in the jar with an extra buck or two out of guilt.

I'm surprised the IRS hasn't found a way to crack down on unreported tip income.

To the OP: One has to do something for me to get a tip. It was explained to me as the establishment pays the server a minimal amount to be there. The customer pays the server for their service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom