• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    Hey everyone this is my first post please bare with me . I just turned 18 and I’m looking to purchase my first rifle with my own money . I don’t know if it’s acceptable to ask a gun store employee about the law and get weird looks so here’s my 2nd best option . I know in Maryland you have to be 21 to purchase “assault weapons “ but with HBAR’s being excluded from the ban are they unregulated and eligible to be purchased by some who is 18 or are still subject to the 21 year restriction. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it is legal to sell in MD, it is considered a rifle and should be fine at 18. Absent of course NFA stuff.

Rather or not the shop wants to sell to someone who is 18, well that is a different story.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would ask someone at the gun store. Do you have a store in mind?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hey everyone this is my first post please bare with me . I just turned 18 and I’m looking to purchase my first rifle with my own money . I don’t know if it’s acceptable to ask a gun store employee about the law and get weird looks so here’s my 2nd best option . I know in Maryland you have to be 21 to purchase “assault weapons “ but with HBAR’s being excluded from the ban are they unregulated and eligible to be purchased by some who is 18 or are still subject to the 21 year restriction. Any help would be greatly appreciated

As mentioned above, if it is legal for sale as a rifle, it is not an "assault weapon" under Maryland law, and legal for you to purchase.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Gun stores and FFL dealers are worried about themselves and don't want to be put out of business or in jail. Stores like Walmart are making up their own rules above the law. Even if 18 (or21) and Maryland compliant some FFL and stores might give you a NO.
    I buy some guns online especially if new, after all that's where most dealers get them.
    If there's a question such as MD compliant I contact my FFL and ask him if he'll receive the gun.
    If he's not sure he'll contact the whoever knows then give me a yes or no.
    Its really up to the FFL or store. If you're legal and they won't sell it then go some place else.
    Very good post and you are right to be concerned and confused. I really wish you luck and this is not only specific to being 18.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No more 21& up to purchase rifles in Maryland . It's either legal to purchase @ 18yo , or Banned entirely .

( Above is regards Actual Rifle ot Actual Shotguns . There are things such as Pistol Grip Only ( smoothbore things that go bang , and look somewhat like a shotgun ) that do not meet the legal definition of a Shotgun or a Rifle . These items Are 21yo under Federal Law .)

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    A few options Fred’s outdoors or tackle box good prices from what I’ve seen

Other much better options in Southern Maryland. Do your research. Freds is the last place I’d go for anything. Tackle Box, meh

Another suggestion would be to take your Mom or Dad with you, not to purchase for you but just to be there if the FFL has any doubts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Bring a parent , in case FFL has doubts " ??

No disrespect to OP , but unless you are covered with gang colors and gang tats , and reeking of weed , shouldn't have any issues .

Any long gun on the ( Maryland) dealers shelf , you will be able to purchase . Well , legally allowed to purchase , Able is between you, your wallet , and your credit .

Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021

No disrespect to OP , but unless you are covered with gang colors and gang tats , and reeking of weed , shouldn't have any issues .

Any long gun on the ( Maryland) dealers shelf , you will be able to purchase . Well , legally allowed to purchase , Able is between you, your wallet , and your credit .

Yeah I don’t have none of that lol .funny how once your legally a “adult” you have to still rely on mommy and daddy . I got a ID but I’ll bring in the cavalry if needed

Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    Where would you recommend

JMJ has always treated us very nice with regards to ammo prices but we’ve never purchased a firearm from them . They also didn’t price gouge the hell out of their prices on .22 like a lot of places. Kind of wanted to branch out and sample some other local options

Wangbadan

Big Wang
    Jul 15, 2021
    I’d go with a parent or grandparent if I were you just to be safe. Maryland is not as gun friendly as some other states! Good luck son

-big Wang

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    JMJ has always treated us very nice with regards to ammo prices but we’ve never purchased a firearm from them . They also didn’t price gouge the hell out of their prices on .22 like a lot of places. Kind of wanted to branch out and sample some other local options

Go visit a few places. Window shop a bit and see what they have. Talk to the people there and see who you can talk to and who treats you with some respect. Develop a relationship and you will be well on your way to spending way too much money on guns! LOL!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you're near JMJ , GLR Enterprises ( former IP and major MSI supporter) is 5 minutes away . Located in the Charlotte Hall Market complex , in the building near the hot dog stand . Since the zombie apocalypse , he's been open 7 days .

Overall an Old School hunting & fishing vibe , but firearms of all flavors , good selection of ammo , and non gouging prices during panic times .

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I’d go with a parent or grandparent if I were you just to be safe. Maryland is not as gun friendly as some other states! Good luck son

-big Wang

Why?
    He is 18 and unless he is prohibited, I see no reason for this.
    If his parents don't want him to purchase, that is between him and the parent and something the OP has to deal with at home.
    That said, 2 of my 3 are over 18 or over, the third will be 18 in Feb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom